Dear Riot. Why You Dislike Soraka?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeyLPG

05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think Soraka has to be overpowered to feel good, just as Medics in TF2 or Priests in WoW have to as healers. When she doesn't, she's really steady and doesn't offer good "highs."

Other supports do a better job of this (in fact, Janna has a lot of feel-good, impact moments) but Soraka is a special case on this front.
So she's special because she's boring?

Taniwha

05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsuon View Post
League of Legends has lots of low skill champions. Sion, for example, is known for his extremely simple yet VERY strong mechanics.

And Soraka is a high-risk champion. Almost every AP mid deals more damage than her and her base health is very low. Enemy picks Soraka mid? Pick Caitlyn.
Why would you ap mid with sork....... thats trash from the get go.
Im talking about support sork, no skill no risk ever.

With sion you still have to engage, plenty of exciting things about his basic mechanics.

Glov

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-01-2012

Quote:
I think Soraka has to be overpowered to feel good, just as Medics in TF2 or Priests in WoW have to as healers. When she doesn't, she's really steady and doesn't offer good "highs."

Other supports do a better job of this (in fact, Janna has a lot of feel-good, impact moments) but Soraka is a special case on this front.
Seems to me that, in the end, Soraka's problem are not her Q, but her W and E - her supportive power is dull, boring and makes you do nothing but fill other people's health/mana bars.

I do not think she will ever become more atractive/interesting that it is, and when ppl finally got her more active (mid), she was nerfed back to the bot lane.

Morello, have you ever considered a full remake on Soraka? This seems the only option for me

Cenerae

05-01-2012

Quote:

So why not rework her kit to actually feel good, so that she doesn't need to have any 'overpowered' abilities to feel like she can meaningfully contribute?

Not being any good at champion balance I couldn't offer any starting points, but still... :-/

Morello

Lead Designer

05-01-2012
4 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyLPG View Post
So she's special because she's boring?
Having a design with less possible highs is special, yeah. We try to design towards big moments, not away from them (not to say we're always successful)

Morello

Lead Designer

05-01-2012
5 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
So why not rework her kit to actually feel good rather than try to make individual, uninteresting skills overpowered but with huge cooldowns?
I'd love to - there's a lot of risk here though, especially when it's the "expected healer" character.

Archfeared

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-01-2012

Is this why active supports (Alistair, Blitzcrank) haven't been touched for the most part?

HeyLPG

05-01-2012

Quote:
Having a design with less possible highs is special, yeah. We try to design towards big moments, not away from them (not to say we're always successful)
Seems kinda lame. The designs with less possible highs.

Judge Arcadia

05-01-2012

Quote:
I'd love to - there's a lot of risk here though, especially when it's the "expected healer" character.
That is always a problem yea...

XBOX Juan

05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttsukasa View Post
Soraka! Dont just stand there DO SOMETHING!!!

soraka: My starcall doesn't do much of anything!

DO SOMETHING!!!
Soraka: My heal is still on cd, 10 more seconds to go!

DO SOMETHING!!!
Soraka: My silence only last 1.5 sec... need mana???
DO SOMETHING!!!!
*ULTS*!!!!
GJ SORAKA, now DO SOMETHING AGAIN!!!

Soraka: I CANT, Ult has a long CD!!! *throws banana and places ward*

Soraka why are you here?

Soraka: Riot wants me to stand in bush and heal the ad carry every 15ish seconds...

Sounds boring

Soraka: It's a day job.
Have my internet. All of it.