Dear Riot. Why You Dislike Soraka?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

05-01-2012
2 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsuon View Post
Do you have much experience playing or against Soraka in mid Morello? If so, what do you think is most frustrating about her? Do you think what people perceive as being un-fun to play against can be fixed by nerfs and/or buffs or have we tested mechanical changes?

EDIT: Your opinion, not asking you from a designer's standpoint.
I actually haven't personally ran into it much personally. Seems mostly immovable more than dangerous.

Taniwha

05-01-2012

Im glad they are eating sork, characters like sork bore the hell out of the game.

Butsuon

05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I actually haven't personally ran into it much personally. Seems mostly immovable more than dangerous.
If you were to guess, what is it that makes her unmovable?

Taniwha

05-01-2012

Quote:
If you were to guess, what is it that makes her unmovable?
Guess................

Amadi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-01-2012

To be honest, I do not mind Soraka nerfs at all. I'm primarily a support player, and to be honest, I'd rather play support [anythingbutsoraka] than Soraka. She's just extremely bland, extremely boring, and extremely..

Well, I think you got it. Boring.

The issue is that she doesn't do crazy stuff, and doesn't feel rewarding. She relies on the opponents to initiate a stupid fight for anything to happen. Otherwise she just slowly nags at the enemy team until they get fed up and quit the lane.

It's just not fun or entertaining.

BlazingUnicorn

05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
Is there any hope of Riot considering a full rework for Soraka? As a support main I find she's just not very exciting to play due to the sheer lack of options she can take. Her armor buff and burst healing are good, and her silence is good, but that's all she can do in a fight safely. Just feels incredibly lacking compared to supports like Janna and Lulu who have many options, aren't pidgeonholed into a purely defensive playstyle when supporting, and are tons of fun to play.
I dunno, I love the style she plays now, but it is soooo mid grade. Its like they have made her the Bard of League. She heals, but unless she ults its meh around everyone else heals and less often. She can silence but everyone else pretty much has a better silence... she has a very short range... and I am so tired of everyone talking about the max theoretical MR reduction you can get through SC, you are never going to get there in a team fight. team fights don't last that long, only time I ever get it to that point is when someone lets me kite them, and to be frank that's them being stupid, not an OP mechanic.

And no, Soraka is not a boring champ, many people who play her are boring. Personally I feel champs like Caitlyn are boring... right click.....right click.....10 min into the game....right click....right click....

Taniwha

05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadi View Post
To be honest, I do not mind Soraka nerfs at all. I'm primarily a support player, and to be honest, I'd rather play support [anythingbutsoraka] than Soraka. She's just extremely bland, extremely boring, and extremely..

The issue is that she doesn't do crazy stuff, and doesn't feel rewarding. She relies on the opponents to initiate a stupid fight for anything to happen. Otherwise she just slowly nags at the enemy team until they get fed up and quit the lane.

100% agree, 0 skill needed, no risks

Morello

Lead Designer

05-01-2012
3 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadi View Post

I think Soraka has to be overpowered to feel good, just as Medics in TF2 or Priests in WoW have to as healers. When she doesn't, she's really steady and doesn't offer good "highs."

Other supports do a better job of this (in fact, Janna has a lot of feel-good, impact moments) but Soraka is a special case on this front.

Butsuon

05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerb View Post
100% agree, 0 skill needed, no risks
League of Legends has lots of low skill champions. Sion, for example, is known for his extremely simple yet VERY strong mechanics.

And Soraka is a high-risk champion. Almost every AP mid deals more damage than her and her base health is very low. Enemy picks Soraka mid? Pick Caitlyn.

EDIT: About how impactful soraka's abilities feel, Astral Blessing is VERY clutch against AD, especially if you're AP mid. Even through an ignite or Grievous Wounds effect, 120 armor is nothing to cough at.

The difference is she's very "little green bar" based, and nobody else is.

Cheeto101

05-01-2012

Quote:
League of Legends has lots of low skill champions. Sion, for example, is known for his extremely simple yet VERY strong mechanics.

And Soraka is a high-risk champion. Almost every AP mid deals more damage than her and her base health is very low. Enemy picks Soraka mid? Pick Caitlyn.
Late game Soraka's damage to surviviability ratio is much better then most AP mids, and you could say "pick caitlyn" vs a variety of viable mids and she would bully them around just like she would bully soraka.