The new UI sucks for some very important reasons.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

atrus

10-25-2009

When you have a spell ready to use, you don't know it. Why? Because the whole UI redesign sticks the spells in the very periphery of my eye sight. Not only that, but they all blend in together.

I refuse to believe that whoever designed the UI is a graphic design student. I mean, aren't you guys really close to OTIS? Go grab one of their *real* graphic designers if you want something to have a "clean" look with intelligent UI design. The old design may have been almost tacky, but it damn well knew where to stick things. Form over function.

Please put the spells back somewhere, where they absolutely contrast with the rest of the UI, and where they're actually going to catch my attention so I know they're ready for use again.

Here's an idea: Make the spells/abilities piece a floating UI element. Let me stick it where I want to.

Hell, I have trouble realizing that I points to allocate in my abilities. It's just so blended in that nothing sticks out and says "HEY, YOUR ****S READY. GO GO GO."

M00S3

10-25-2009

i dont have any real problems with them but hey thats me. i play on a laptop.

also first post been playing for a while but just dont post here.

Rayven

UX Designer

10-25-2009
1 of 3 Riot Posts

periphery: the outward bounds of something as distinguished from its internal regions or center.

Old HUD: abilities/spells all the way on the side of the screen

New HUD: abilities/spells front and center.

I agree they should be bigger though, along with the meters.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2009

I've been very ok in this respect as well. But I can see why a lot of people might not see them very well.
Maybe the spells should light up when CD is refreshed. That way it's even easier to see.

My problem is more about the fact that skills still bug out sometimes, and that CD indicator is usually not correct.

rogerchew

Adjudicator

10-26-2009

there's also another problem for people that are running the game on lower resolutions. you can barely see the blury numbers. granted you can see everything very clearly if you're running the game on your monitors native resolution, but for those of us running at lower res, it's very ugly/blurry.

atrus

10-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
periphery: the outward bounds of something as distinguished from its internal regions or center.

I agree they should be bigger though, along with the meters.

Someone's taking it personally! It's like it's your job or so...oh

the old abilities were in the path that your eyes make as they cross the field. The new setup gives your stats more prominence than the abilities. I'm not saying the new UI doesn't look nice. It just loses some functionality in it's push for coherence.

These forums run so slowly on an iPhone

Raistlen

10-26-2009

Quote:

Old Hud: I can see and discern what spells are available out of the corner of my eye without taking my attention from the action.

New Hud: I have to completely remove my attention from the action and refocus my eyes to see what spells are available for use.

It's easier to move your eyes from side to side than up and down. Whether this is natural or from years and years of reading the fact still remains. It's easier to see the spells in the corner than at the bottom center.

That coupled with the old icons being uneven and therefore much easier to distinguish from each other make the spell placement on the old HUD far superior in my book.

Maybe it can work having the spells in the middle but they certainly don't work well right now. Why do a bunch of work to get back to where we were with the old UI.

Labomba

10-27-2009

I liked the purple skill-up bubbles of the old-UI. they were vibrant in color to indicate I had skills to deploy. The current frame with the [+] boxes for the skill-ups blends in a little too well with the base UI and doesn't do a great job of indicating that I have skills to use. Make the skill-up +'s a more noticeable color and design.

Also, there's alot of wasted space on the bottom UI bar. for instance, the inch and a half of screen that has nothing on it between the bag slots and the skills panel. Honestly I felt as if the new UI just engulfed 20% of my screen -- the old UI never gave me that feeling.

TMTurtle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-27-2009

You people are all blind. You can't notice the level up? You can't see the big buttons in the middle of the screen? Honestly, unless you're playing on a 30 inch monitor, I can't imagine what is wrong here.

RobinF

10-27-2009

A question to the team cant you youst have a button in the gui options so you can shose between the both of them?

So those who like the new GUI (who of course are wrong :P) can have it(even if it's so sadly a copy of HoN witch is bad game compared to this one XD ) ?