[Guide] Know Your Role: Teamplay in League of Legends

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LuckyStrikes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2010

This is the coolest thread ever. Coming from a veteran as myself, it is still a noteworthy read. Good job.

Flame Drago

09-26-2010

what about ashe. what role is she?

Prospero VII

10-10-2010

I'm hoping this falls in the "No Question Is A Dumb Question" catagory, but is playing many roles at once unhelpful? Certain heroes can clearly fill different roles depending on building order and whatnot. But I've been playing Galio to do... Uhh... Literally everything at once. And sometimes it's amazing, like an immortal Godzilla on cocaine. And sometimes it's just meh. Always when I think it's becoming a bad idea, suddenly I get a mad winning streak which changes my mind again.

Crow Squid

10-26-2010

Support needs two catergories just like carry (soft and hard) Hard has a basic ability that heals (Taric, Soraka, Sona, Alilister) Soft is the ability to a buff or debuff (janna, ezekial, morgana)

And anybody can be a soft carry. Well fed any champion is good just ask the person laning with the soft carry or carry or a person kill stealing from them. (Though I think KS in a myth.)

Though for the Carry Soraka (Remember you are posting to the new player forum. So things like a Hard Carry are a hard for people to understand. I have seen amumu be a carry but never Soraka. I would have loved to witness that game.) I can see where they are coming from. What if you didn't heal anyone but you? How would your team do? Especially when you are healing for like 600. Seriously, people view hard support as a portable heal potion but what if they were just as selfish as the average player? (think a good Kayle player) What does damage against opposing player do for me if neither of us kill them?

Luckily for support, heal's AP ratio is fantastic.

Player Someone

10-29-2010

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

10-30-2010
14 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Drago View Post
what about ashe. what role is she?
Most people would guess (Hard) Carry but she is actually more of a Ganker / Semi-Carry than anything. She teeters on the edge of these 2 but for instance she has no innate steroid / scaling ability outside of the Attack Damage scaling on her Volley. She needs to get kills and farm to build up items and assert her advantage otherwise she'd be outclassed damage wise by champions like Tristana, Miss Fortune, Master Yi, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzike View Post
I'm hoping this falls in the "No Question Is A Dumb Question" catagory, but is playing many roles at once unhelpful? Certain heroes can clearly fill different roles depending on building order and whatnot. But I've been playing Galio to do... Uhh... Literally everything at once. And sometimes it's amazing, like an immortal Godzilla on cocaine. And sometimes it's just meh. Always when I think it's becoming a bad idea, suddenly I get a mad winning streak which changes my mind again.
Yes, Galio can definitely be put under the Tank, Support, and Pusher categories. He even has decent Ganking potential when played to his fullest and of course can Semi Carry if fed enough. I don't think you could possibly consider him a Hard Carry though.

@ Crow Squid

I really believe there are only 2 different types of Support, offensive or defensive.

NeZQ

12-07-2010

short and dumb question: what would a Warwick that doesnt do jungle and focuses mainly on attack speed be? a carry?

cgo02

12-14-2010

I learnt so much from this thanks!

XeroDemonata

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2010

this was very helpful even though im not extremely new; it was still great insight to chars that ive been looking to play or have played with no surmountable luck at winning. But now i realize i was just playing them in the wrong role. Thanks for the tips!!

HowlingKommando

01-15-2011

Good guide, but a bit outdated in terms of champ choices.