Do you think Executioner's Calling should be reworked or changed?

Yes 72 83.72%
No 14 16.28%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Morello's Buff is nice, how bout Exe Calling?

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SinDur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-29-2012

The patch preview displayed the addition of a heal reduction that casters can utilize at long last, and that's great! I am looking forward to getting even more use out of my Morello builds, but that said, it made me remember a not-so-great item that seems so very very limited. Executioner's Calling is an item that I feel has been forgotten about, and I'd like to state my feelings on this item as a whole, pointing out it's current flaws, and listing some possible tweaks and changes that could make it feel worth buying more often than just to hard counter Mundo / Soraka or heal compositions.

Recipe: Brawler's Gloves + Vampiric Scepter

Gold Cost: 500 (1350 total)

Stats: 18% Lifesteal, 15% Critical Strike Chance

Passive: 4 magic damage per second on hit for 8 seconds(32 damage before MR)

Active: Inflicts Grievous Wounds on target enemy champion, reducing all healing and regeneration by 50% for 8 seconds. 20 second cooldown.

So, we have a very cheap early game item that starts off poor and doesn't do anything in terms of helping a champion that buys it scale better as the game progresses. While early game purchases aren't really supposed to scale too well, I think it's safe to say no one ever bothers to buy this item, because a majority of the champions that could benefit it tend to simply roll ignite, as ignite add's good true damage to their damage output. Even without ignite, this item is typically considered a waste since it's cheap cost is a mere 300 gold off a BF sword, and people would rather deal damage than hope for a crit. While it can be argued the active counters healing champions well, that doesn't make up for the fact it is a poor item all around and rarely ever even contemplated on being purchased.

And let's not spend too much time on this passive, because we all know it is worthless. 32 damage over 8 seconds is BARELY useful at level 1, and you won't be able to get this item for some time, even if you were to start with one of it's components. (which is a horrible idea)

Now with the changes to Morello's coming, I feel it should be said that casters actually have a bigger advantage than melee and ranged carries do over healer and regenerative champions. That doesn't sit too well with me, since casters typically blow you up very quickly, where as melee and ranged dps must focus their targets down (for the most part).

I think this item needs an overhaul, and I'd like to put some ideas I had on how to do it.

Possible Remake of Executioner's Calling

Recipe: Longsword + Vampiric Scepter

Gold Cost: 550 (1415 total)

Stats: 17 Damage, 14% Lifesteal

Passive: Attacks against the same target cause 2% increased damage, stacking up to 4 times. Lasts 6 seconds.

Active: Inflicts grevious wounds on target enemy champion, reducing all healing and regeneration by 50% for 6 seconds.

This is just one of many ideas I had, but the one I liked the best and also felt was the more balanced one.

If you feel you'd like to see this item changed, vote so in the poll, and feel free to leave feedback on what you think the item needs or could be changed to.

Bear Garrett

04-29-2012

The current executioner's calling is fine even through mid-game. The problem is it doesn't compete with Infinity Edge, Bloodthirster, Last Whisper, etc. unless there's a super-healy champ on the enemy team who, in spite of us having Executioner's Calling all game, has become a problem.

An idea I liked better was making it part of a bigger recipe, like,

"Executioner's Answering Machine"
Recipe:
Executioner's Calling + Recurve Bow + 600g = 3000

20% lifesteal
20% Crit Chance
45% Attack Speed

Passive: 4 magic damage per second on hit for 8 seconds, stacks up to 4 times. Applying stacks does not reset timer. (128 damage before mitigation...)

Active: Inflicts Grievous Wounds on target enemy champion, reducing all healing and regeneration by 50% for 8 seconds. 20 second cooldown.

- - -

I just made up these stats, but I'd prefer to see this kind of item rather than trading one mid-game item for another.
edit: corrected math error on gold cost.

axesandspears

04-29-2012

Crit and lifesteal is a nice though. I don't want to see a smaller Bloodthirster clone.

If Executioner's Calling gets a buff or a change, it should be something unique.

Brodhi

04-29-2012

I never understood why the components are Brawler's Glove and Vampiric Scepter when the official lore states the name is Executioner’s Calling Long Sword, which was made by the Noxian armies by using 82% iron and 18% Scarlet steel.

It should be AD / Lifesteal instead of Crit / Lifesteal based on the lore already in-game.

Fouquet

04-29-2012

New Item:

Bloodburn

builds from:
-executioners calling (1350g)
-stinger (1090g)
-combination cost (560g)

full cost: 3000g

full stats:
+50% attack speed
+20% life steal
+20% critical chance
unique passive:
+10% CDR
Your basic attacks apply a mark to the target that deals 4 bonus magic damage each second for 8 seconds, this effect stacks up to 4 times ( 128 magic damage over 8 seconds at maximum stacks )

UNIQUE Active: Inflicts all enemy champions affected by the passive mark with Grievous Wound, causing 50% reduced healing and regeneration for 8 seconds, resets mark timer to 8 seconds (20 second cooldown).

explaination: the active component has been changed from a single target ranged grievous wounds application to an expunge style active which applies grievous wounds to all enemy champions that are affected by the passive damage over time element of this item and further refreshes the duration of that effect

i think this item would have good tension with phantom dancer (the only other crit/as high tier item) and give an alternative for lifesteal item from blood thirster (possibly opening up new builds for ranged carries example building black cleaver instead of bloodthirster)

the only thing that i can see as a potential problem is that melee characters lose their instant ranged grievous wounds and actually have to hit enemies to apply it.

hope you like it

SonicTheHedgedawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-29-2012

Avirice Blade + Bilgewater Cutlass

Fouquet

04-30-2012

hmm on second though what aboot ex calling and avarice blade?
2100g +200g for 2300g cost

30% crit chance 20% lifesteal
unique passive:
Your basic attacks apply a mark to the target that deals 8 bonus magic damage each second for 8 seconds ( 64 magic damage over 8 seconds )
unique active: applies grievous wounds to target enemy champion for 8 seconds. also applies a mark of the passive component (64 magic damage over 8 seconds) 20 second cooldown

Grizley

04-30-2012

When you're trying to (re)design an item you need to think about what role you want that item to fit and then assign stats that would be appealing to them.

Do you want the carries building the heal reduction? Then these crit/attackspeed items will do the trick. Though we have a crit/lifesteal already and nobody builds it.

Do you want a bruiser to build it? CDR/AD/Lifesteal/MR/Armor/HP

Tank? MR/Armor/HP

We have a caster/support version already.

SinDur

04-30-2012

My thoughts on Exe Calling being remade are that it needs help, and it's stat's should be geared towards an item that physical damage carries look to purchase as an early to mid game item that helps them gain or keep a damage advantage, while keeping heal champions in check a little better. My proposed change was the one I liked the most, as I could see it fitting very well on champions like Miss Fortune, Kayle, or Talon.

I don't expect Riot to actually go along with any idea posted in this thread, but I like to see what people can come up with, and share my thoughts as well. That said, I DO expect Riot to pay attention to what we say when it comes to balancing any aspect of the game. They have been good about it as far back as when I first started playing, and I think if enough people say so, they will look deeper at this item and tell us if they share our opinions.

SinDur

04-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouquet View Post
New Item:

Bloodburn

builds from:
-executioners calling (1350g)
-stinger (1090g)
-combination cost (560g)

full cost: 3000g

full stats:
+50% attack speed
+20% life steal
+20% critical chance
unique passive:
+10% CDR
Your basic attacks apply a mark to the target that deals 4 bonus magic damage each second for 8 seconds, this effect stacks up to 4 times ( 128 magic damage over 8 seconds at maximum stacks )

UNIQUE Active: Inflicts all enemy champions affected by the passive mark with Grievous Wound, causing 50% reduced healing and regeneration for 8 seconds, resets mark timer to 8 seconds (20 second cooldown).

explaination: the active component has been changed from a single target ranged grievous wounds application to an expunge style active which applies grievous wounds to all enemy champions that are affected by the passive damage over time element of this item and further refreshes the duration of that effect

i think this item would have good tension with phantom dancer (the only other crit/as high tier item) and give an alternative for lifesteal item from blood thirster (possibly opening up new builds for ranged carries example building black cleaver instead of bloodthirster)

the only thing that i can see as a potential problem is that melee characters lose their instant ranged grievous wounds and actually have to hit enemies to apply it.

hope you like it
I think the stats and the active are a little too strong for something that costs the same as a Bloodthirster. An AoE heal reduction is coming with Varus' kit, and I'm iffy about that already. But at least you can leave that one. Still, it would be nice to see an upgrade for the item as well that makes the passive more useful like this.

12345 ... 6