10 affordable champs every player should know how to play

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Etherimp

04-28-2012

There are always a lot of posts on these forums requesting "what champ should I buy?", and if you remember leveling up (pre level 30) at all, or you've ever been in lower ELO games (ranked or normal hidden elo), you know that it's very common to find a game where one or more players on your team refuse to play anything other than a specific champion or role.

Part of the reason for this is that people tend to gravitate towards champions they THINK they can carry with, and therefore lower elo players and noobs tend to favor assassins and AP carrys. Of course, any decent player and all competitive players know that a well played Tank or Support can be just as (if not more) game-breaking than a fed carry, and it usually takes a fairly well rounded team to stay competitive all game versus another well rounded team.

So, before you run off and spend 6300ip on the latest and greatest new carry to be released by Riot, perhaps you should think twice and look at picking up a FEW of these champions instead.

Why? Well, when it comes to Draft play, it's very important that you understand how to play each role in the game and that you're able to fill that role with a viable champion that you know how to play well.

The champions below all fit that criteria. They all costs 3150ip or less, and they can all either fill various roles effectively, or they fill their role as well or better than most more expensive champs.

Alistar:

Cost: 1350 (Or Free!)
Role filled: Jungler, Tank, Support, Healer, Solo-top, Initiator.

Comments: Alistar is an amazing champion for the simple fact that he is capable of dishing out a metric assload of Crowd Control for his team. The amount of assists you can get with Alistar is amazing. His ability to throw enemy carries out of position and to peel other players off your carry is downright unparalleled. Simply put, Alistar can keep enemy champs out of the fight for extended durations while prolonging the amount of time his team can stay in the fight. As soon as he hits level 6 he is a viable candidate to eat tower-shots while your carries dive a turret. This factor alone can demoralize your opponents and force an early surrender. If you have not played Alistar, or played him and did not like him... Do yourself a favor and learn him. You and your teammates will not be disappointed by the results.

Amumu:
Cost: 1350
Role filled: Jungler, Tank, Initiator

Comments: Let's get the negative out of the way first... Amumu consumes A LOT of mana. If you're playing with a team where your Mid AP carry absolutely requires blue buff in order to win their lane, then Amumu is probably not the best pick for a jungling tank. Furthermore, his major weakness is being counter-jungled. If the enemy jungler invades you at level 1 and takes your blue, it will set you back considerably and could be a contributing factor in your team losing...

...However...After the first few jungle clears and picking up a mana item (Catalyst, Philo, Glacial Shroud, etc), Amumu is much less dependent upon blue and his game starts to pick up. Amumu is a tank killer with his W, he's a nuker with his E and R, and his Q->R combo can win teamfights before the enemy team has an opportunity to respond. This little mummy is literally a walking debuff for the enemy team. He's especially potent when combined with other AOE based champions such as Ziggs, Gangplank, Pantheon, Miss Fortune, Anivia, Cho'Gath, Annie, Corki, Galio, Fiddlesticks, Fizz, Graves, Karthus...The list goes on and on. Assuming your team can help protect your jungle, a Mid->Late game Amumu is absolutely devastating for the enemy team in team fights.

Annie:
Cost: 450
Role filled: Mid AP Carry

Comments: Simply put, she's cheap, easy, and effective. She requires no skill shots (unless you consider Tibbers a skill shot), she has decent range, good AP ratios, a good auto-attack animation, and her AOE stunning passive is free-kills waiting to be had every single game. Sure, there are "better" AP Carries out there, but usually those champs are "flavor of the month" or they are much more expensive, and they may get nerfed in the near future. While Annie has been nerfed and buffed back and forth throughout time, she has always remained a fairly solid pick. At 450ip, you simply cannot go wrong with her.

Cho'gath:
Role filled: Solo-Top, Jungler, Tank, Initiator, AP Nuker

Comments: What can be said about Cho'gath that hasn't already been said a million times? A fed Cho'gath is down-right scary, and being one of the best solo-top champs in the game, who ALSO has a very solid jungle with decent ganking potential, it's not hard to get this beast his nom noms.. Once you get accustomed to landing his Rupture, and get a feel for the timing on his ulti, he can carry your team to many victories, and if things ever get rough, they can just hide in his character model, making them impossible to target.

Garen:
Role filled: Solo-top, Tanky DPS, Initiator, Immovable object.

Comments: They don't call it "League of Garen" for nothin'. This guy is so much fun (and can carry games so hard), that I have a few friends who play EXCLUSIVELY Garen, 100% of the time. Personally, I'm not so hardcore about him, but if you don't have him or have never played him before, you should definitely give him a shot. His AA->Q->AA Combo, built in sustain, and capability to lane-bully other solo-top champs makes him a solid pick. Just don't mistake him for a pure tank, and don't pick him if your team is already lacking in hard CC. He is tanky, yes.. And he can initiate, yes.. But he's not a tank in the same way Alistar, Rammus, or Amumu are. While he can absorb damage well, he lacks in the ability to peel targets or keep them in place for very long. He'd much rather just lay a Demacian smack down on their asses while better suited tanks do the heavy lifting.

Rammus:
Cost: 3150
Role filled: Tank, Jungler, Initiator

Comments: Much like Amumu in that he's a jungling tank, he has some of the best ganks in the game if played correctly, and he puts out a surprising amount of damage for a little 'dillo with a hard shell. Prioritize HP and Armor, and you will be a nightmare to any AD carrys on the opposing team. A little more expensive than the previously mentioned champions, but there's a good reason why he gets banned in a lot of ranked games: HE WINS GAMES. 3 seconds to be taunted is a LONG time.. Count it out in your head, right now... one... two... three. Now imagine that while you counted that out, you couldn't control your Caitlyn while she fired 1.5 shots a second into Rammy's Thornmail and DBC. Yeah.. Not good for you. Pick up Rammus. Learn him. Love him. Be hated by AD carrys the world over.

Ryze:
Role filled: Tanky DPS/AP Carry

Comment: Despite the incoming nerfs to Ryze, I'm sure he will remain a viable AP carry and/or AP Tanky DPS, depending on how you wish to build him. Not much to say about him outside of that.. Like with Annie, at 450ip, you just can't go wrong.

Sion:
Role filled: AP Tanky DPS, AD Tanky DPS, Mid, Solo-Top, Jungle, Initiator.

Comment: Sion is just versatile as all hell and he is amazingly annoying to play against. Everything about him makes him a pain in the ass. He can solo top, he can mid, he can jungle, he can off-tank, he can off-carry, he has a ranged stun, he is extremely durable, and he can be built just about any way you like. Bottom line... He's worth every bit of the 1350.

Sivir:
Role filled: AD Carry

Comment: Sivir brings SO much to team-fights, excels at farming, tower pushing, has a reasonable amount of sustain, and is a real threat in most lanes. She has a bit of a learning curve and a high skill cap, but you will not miss the 450 ip you spent on her. Her AA->W->AA->Q combo can absolutely shred your lane opponent, and her R + AA->W->AA combo demolishes towers quicker than most teams can respond. Ever since her rework, she has really started to shine as a premier AD carry and best of all, she's dirt cheap. You can't NOT own this champ.

Soraka:
Role filled: Support

Comment: All you have to know is; a well played Soraka wins lanes. She is a mana battery with heals, (ranged) silence on demand, great harass, and wonderful utility in her defense shredding (starfall) and global ultimate. She allows your carry to out-farm and out-sustain the opponent, and with her healing, silence, and intelligent warding she can deny gank, after gank, after gank, all assuming your AD carry isn't completely brain dead, of course. Don't hesitate to pick her up and give her a shot. Your team will thank you.

Mystgan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-28-2012

You forgot Ashe

Etherimp

04-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystgan View Post
You forgot Ashe
With the rework to Sivir, I think Sivir is a better overall pick, as I feel like she counters more lanes and works better with more supports than Ashe does.. Ashe is great, and affordable, yes.. And I would absolutely encourage everyone to get her (esp at 450 ip).. I just don't think her cost to performance ratio is QUITE as good as Sivir. Also, maybe it's just me, but I think Ashe is a little more difficult to play effectively. You have to be very careful with her positioning or you get squashed.. and you have to be very careful with her mana consumption or you'll end up being unable to pull off that clutch Ulti, where-as Sivir can just walk on a Cait Trap, bait out an Ashe Volley, or a Kog'maw ulti, or... you get the idea.

Anyway, I agree Ashe is a great pick... I almost added her, but felt others were better suited.

Ebonclaw

04-28-2012

Without Ashe, you really haven't even started your list.

I'd add Janna, Morgana, and WW.

I sort of can't believe Garen is on your list. I feel dirty now.

OwlMechanic

04-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post

Yea I agree with the suggestions you made, and think shen should replace garen, as he is another solotop, but he teaches you global map awareness like no other, and teaches things like when to/not to initiate, wall jumping and supporting.

Ashe and ez I feel teach you enemy movement more since leading is such a huge factor when launching an ult across the map.

Etherimp

04-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post

Morgana is not as cheap as other AP Carries listed.. Of course she's more overpowered, but she's also often banned.

Janna is great, but more expensive than Soraka, and Soraka does a very good job at WHAT she does, for the price.

WW is mediocre in the jungle, but great on top lane.. So maybe he should be counted for that reason.

Garen is on the list because he's cheap and effective.

Ezreal isn't on the list because he's expensive.

I'll take your advice on Ashe and add her later. :P

Also agree on Shen, and will add him.. Was thinking of adding him originally.

Ebonclaw

04-28-2012

Morg is only 1350, I just looked in the store and said "which of these 450 and 1350 champs is easy to do decently with, and hard to totally shut down". Morg IS often banned, but people really -need- to learn how to play her..... I've seen some awful awful Morgs because people think she's OP so they'll be fine. They often are not fine.

Soraka is the essential support, but Janna is considered by some to actually be the best support in the game. Learning to play AS her, will help teach you to play against her, as well as developing skills and knowledge of non heal supports in general.

Ez is expensive, but Ashe is not. Her ult breaks the game, shame on you. <3

Etherimp

04-28-2012

No argument there. Morgana is definitely a strong champion right now, as is Janna.

EarthruneSkarner

08-01-2012

How did I get here

Perdonameahora

Recruiter

08-01-2012

No nunu?