A Guide To Tribunal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

05-30-2012

Okay I updated the Level requirement in the original post and I've updated Section V for the recent changes to the interface.

JohnnyOmega

05-31-2012

Bumping for the day.

JohnnyOmega

06-01-2012

I added Section XI. HOW PLAYERS GET BANNED OUTSIDE OF THE TRIBUNAL.

I hope this answers a few questions and I hope people will post whatever I may be missing here.

Seth the Bum

06-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
2. Summoners that report may select the wrong violation for which the accused violator is guilty of (if guilty at all). If you find any instance of guilt for any violation in any of the games that the accused is reported in, then you should click Punish. You are expected to click Punish for a guilty violator even if he/she is innocent of the violation reported IF the violator is guilty of another type of violation.
I gave the Tribunal a try for the first time today. In one of my cases, a player was reported in four different games, three of which for having an inappropriate name (which he most certainly did), and one for intentionally feeding. I did not see sufficient evidence of intentional feeding, so I'd say he might not have been guilty of that; however, that one possible false reporting does not excuse the other offense. It was a no-brainer to go ahead and click Punish.

It got me thinking, though, that it feels like one should be able to vote for each reported offense, or at least, each game involved. For example, what if I were given a case for a person who was guilty of one crime yet seemed to be wrongfully reported in multiple other games? It's true that someone who violated the Code in, say, 1/6 of his reported games is not exempt from punishment for the one game simply because five others don't quite fit the bill, but since we vote one time for the player as a whole...

Well, I guess it all depends on how the system works, if it more heavily affects what punishment the player receives based upon how many games they were reported in. I don't really know how the number of games reported factors into things in the background. In a real court of law, the defendant is judged on each convicted criminal count individually, and may be found guilty of one crime yet not guilty of a few others. A real criminal is only punished for each crime they are found guilty for.

So... I realize I should probably still click Punish for someone who is guilty in only one of several reported games, but how are all those extra reports weighed in? It just seems too generalized to punish someone for collective crimes no matter how many of them they actually committed. Sorry, I'm just picturing someone being sentenced to 20 years in prison for theft and manslaughter when they really only did the thieving.

JohnnyOmega

06-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth the Bum View Post

So... I realize I should probably still click Punish for someone who is guilty in only one of several reported games, but how are all those extra reports weighed in? It just seems too generalized to punish someone for collective crimes no matter how many of them they actually committed. Sorry, I'm just picturing someone being sentenced to 20 years in prison for theft and manslaughter when they really only did the thieving.
It's basically like this.

The more reported matches (not total number of reports I think) you have on an accused, the higher priority the case has of appearing on Tribunal.

If the accused has committed a violation of any type in any of the games that he/she was reported in, the accused must be found guilty regardless of the report type since even reporters can click the wrong violation type.

IF the accused has been a good player except for a few bad games, or hasn't done anything bad for a long time before the reported matches, then he/she will most likely get off with an automated warning message from the system as his/her punishment.

IF the accused has a history of bad behavior beyond the reports you see in the case file, then the punishment will be worse than just a warning.

Also, the reports you see in a case are not necessarily all the reports on that particular person. When a player is punished, the case file is wiped clean except for records kept by the Riot staff so that it is not a collective punishment of all misdoings all at once. I could be wrong about this part but according to the research I've done, this appears to be the case.

So when you click Punish, and the accused gets more than a warning, it is very, very likely that the violator deserves what he/she gets so you don't have to feel bad about it.

Seth the Bum

06-01-2012

So basically what you're saying is, as long as they're guilty of at least one presented match report (even if not for the reported reason), just go with Punish and not worry about the finer details?

Aradene

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2012

Pretty much - your job is to assess if they have done ANYTHING wrong in any of the matches. Sometimes it might be something they haven't been reported for - ie, they might have been reported for feeding but you can't accurately assess that, but they have a negative attitude and repeatedly troll.

I would like to suggest a "I have been banned, now what?". A lot of people come to the forums demanding explainations, when the truth is if they need an explaination as to why they were banned, they should be contacting support.

Otherwise, this is shaping up nicely, I would like to suggest it for sticky.

JohnnyOmega

06-02-2012

Hmm...Next I think I'll take some screenshots and do a bit of photoshopping to circle and point out things while blurring out summoner names.

I don't have adobe photoshop but Sumo Paint, the free online browser painting tool is pretty handy as a substitute.

Byerley

06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
Hmm...Next I think I'll take some screenshots and do a bit of photoshopping to circle and point out things while blurring out summoner names.

I don't have adobe photoshop but Sumo Paint, the free online browser painting tool is pretty handy as a substitute.
You really don't feel even a little bit guilty about telling other people what they should punish and encouraging them not to feel guilty about punishing borderline cases because it might result in a warning?

Do you really believe your own facade of helpful information? If so, let me clarify a little:

- The tribunal is designed to be an intuitive interface; it really doesn't require inane screenshots pointing out obvious features.

- Your knowledge and comprehension of the Tribunal and the game is spotty at best

- This rubbish is never going to get stickied so you can stop trying.

JohnnyOmega

06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking Violet View Post
You really don't feel even a little bit guilty about telling other people what they should punish and encouraging them not to feel guilty about punishing borderline cases because it might result in a warning?
Cases stop becoming borderline after the warning. If a player continues to violate the Summoner's Code after the warning, then their punishment gets worse.

Why? How would you treat a violator who fails repeatedly to heed warnings about breaking the rules? They can either grow up or get some professional help to stop breaking the rules.

We are not here to hold their hands and form relationships with them. We are here to remind them that there are rules that they agreed to when they signed up for the game. If they choose to ignore those rules or ignore their own deficiencies even after getting warned, then they deserve their harsher punishment.