Observations in Solo Queue Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Damicor6

04-27-2012

Hello,
So I am curious for feedback as to other peoples perceptions in solo queue ranked.
I have gone up and down frequently from 1600-900 ELO. What I have noticed is that you still get a large amount of trolls, griefers, feeders, and just bad players regardless of the ELO.

My question is then what is the point of ELO? It seems to have more to do with luck in getting good teams and facing bad ones. People in all ELO still rage at champ select, troll, cry about role lane picks and so on. I really enjoy the game play, the mechanics and the MOBA style of games. My problem with this game is it seems that the amount of people who for lack of a better description are just not trying to play the game the way it is intended to be played is enormous. I cannot remember a single game where we did not have someone who was trolling in some way shape or form.

I have given up on using ELO as a gauge of skill after my observations, but It does stand to wonder, Is there a better way to separate the people who are not trying from the people actually playing the game the way it is intended. I used to get very angry about trolls and feeders, when I realized they are in the majority I just kinda gave up and am apathetic to it all. I wish there was a way to make the game competitive and enjoyable again. I would also suggest the amount of skilled, good players stuck in this vicious cycle (elo hell rubber banding) is very large and its a shame they can never escape this unless with extreme luck. Bear in mind this is solo queue observations, TBH I think it should not count to rank at all because you have so little control over the games outcome.

Was curious if anyone else had any similar experiences? What have they done to deal with these issues? I will prob quit when dota2 comes out due to the horrible state of the community, but I am still curious about it.

PressF1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-27-2012

I have friends who are much higher elo, and they are generally much better players than those at my elo. I've also noticed a difference between 1100 and 1300 elo

AZbeast

04-27-2012

its a good story but ur highest elo rating was only 1315. Most players regard so called elo hell ending at 1300. also judging by how many games you have played what ever your elo is at right now is prob very close to your true elo. i was around 1250 then i got dragged down by horrible players and i am trying to get back up. The dif i noticed in the 200 elo drop is staggering, so much so i cant even carry the teams i get on at 1000 elo because they are so bad. long story short does it take luck? yes it does, however it takes luck to do it in a quick time frame. since you have played so many games its about as good as it gets for you unless u get better and improve YOUR gameplay so you can have a greater outcome on the game.

IceGaia

04-27-2012

There definitely should be a system implemented into matchmaking where you choose your desired role beforehand. THAT WAY YOU GET MATCHED WITH A PROPER TEAM THAT DOESN'T HAVE 3 SOLO TOPS AND 2 AD CARRIES.

Reprisal

Recruiter

04-27-2012

I wish ppl were sorted by tiers according to their average kda ratio

FattyDrake

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGaia View Post
There definitely should be a system implemented into matchmaking where you choose your desired role beforehand. THAT WAY YOU GET MATCHED WITH A PROPER TEAM THAT DOESN'T HAVE 3 SOLO TOPS AND 2 AD CARRIES.
This assumes the current meta is the only proper way to play the game.

Damicor6

04-28-2012

I should state when playing with my friends on my main account im around 1650-1700 average elo when we get matched. When we play in this ELO range, we win and lose about 50% of the time, and I have played far more games here. I really dont accept my elo in solo queue is accurate based on what I stated earlier. I play all roles moderately well, much better than the people in my elo. I don't think other than sheer luck it is possible to solo queue carry yourself out. Playing with more than one person changes the entite premise, that you cannot SOLO carry yourself out of this elo. This is a fundamental flaw in the game design.

Imuthes

04-28-2012

Already posted this in two other threads that were similar

"How to get out of a difficult elo:

1) Pick three roles you can play.
2) Say in chat something like "Mid>Jungle>Support"
3) Have one champion you're really good at with each of the roles you chose. And at least understand how to play the other roles.
4) If you ever lose a game or are in a bad mood, take a break from ranked. It also helps you not get the same players multipul times.
5) If someone makes a mistake, don't actually yell at them about it afterwards. Stay nice a friends, positivity wins games.
6) Try to call mias and ping ganks, even if its not for your lane.
7) Ward no matter what role ( 2 wards mid, 1 top, 1 bot, should be enough, try to fill in a ward if your team mate won't if you would'nt need to travel "too" far to place it)
"

In particular for your case, I find that you can carry yourself out, but it takes many games and a ton of forced politeness. I really can tell the difference between a low elo and high elo player, but then again there are a few low elo players that don't deserve to be there. (very few of them, but they do exist)

Nexttoradio

05-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elani View Post
I wish ppl were sorted by tiers according to their average kda ratio
So by that logic i would be bottom of the barrel when I play almost exclusively support. Learn to not look at the scoreboard.

accuracy1st

05-05-2012

you create your own luck. so if you have bad luck you may be a part of the reason.