Original Character (OC) Guidelines

1234511 ... 34
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kuronan

03-12-2014

(( Edit 4/27/2014: There has already been a thread upon this topic a long time ago, Kyugi had linked it to me, so I'm going to sticky it upon this page just like this. Please read both of them as you make your OC. ))

(( Edit 4/03/2014: Okay, so I'm seeing a lot of OCs coming up and asking for input on their new non-combatant OCs, and I just want to say that if they can't fight, you don't need to ask if it's okay to make the character

This thread was created when there was a high amount of insanely overpowered characters that just came out of nowhere and tried to essentially establish themselves as gods, even 'beating' Champions. If you character can't fight, it's not OP and likely obeys every rule on this thread. It's COOL if you want to ask about input for certain characters, but I don't think you need to ask 'Is it okay if I make a(n) (insert non-combatant role here)' because we could use less people capable of fighting for the casual threads. ))

I have created this thread so that we may discuss rules and regulations placed upon Original Characters (which are abbreviated and referred to as OCs) as there has lately been a very large influx of characters that are obscenely powerful for seemingly no reason and seemingly come out of nowhere.

Some ground rules for this discussion:
1. I will be posting below rules agreed upon by the community. All new characters must comply to these rules, and old characters will be asked to possibly change accordingly depending upon veterancy and the degree of rule violation
2. Let there be a reasonable discussion among peers as to what is and is not acceptable for a rule. If you disagree with a rule, please state why in a calm and reasonable manner. This is not a Skype Call, you have plenty of time to construct calm and rational arguments.
3. More rules will be added as necessary to this thread.

Now, that being said, here are some basic guideline rules I'm sure we can all agree upon for new original characters
1. You are NOT a God, you CANNOT lift mountains, you CANNOT manipulate time on a whim, and you are NOT Immune to Magic or Physical attacks. Even a turtle's shell can break if you hit it with a sledgehammer.

Your character can have some Resistances (as in, things that don't hurt as much) but they must have weaknesses to counteract this (a being made of Fire would be HEALED by Fire spells as well has have some resistance to conventional weapons, but Ice or Water spells would be greatly empowered against it, and it takes damage from enchanted weapons as normal.)

Also, unless you are either under the influence of a Kayle Intervention or literally don't have a body, you are, under absolutely no other circumstances, immune to physical damage. You can take REDUCED damage of course, you are not IMMUNE to it.

2. You cannot shrug off the attacks of a Champion. These are men, women, and creatures that are magnitudes beyond the common man. To put it in comparison, imagine the common man firing a flintlock pistol, and a Champion firing a .50 caliber sniper rifle with Tungsten rounds. Sure, you can shrug off the pistol, but that sniper rifle's going to leave a giant gaping hole wherever it hits.

In the same regard, a foot soldier sweeping his sword at you would do damage, Darius bringing his axe down on your head is extremely likely to do a lot of damage, if not flat out cut you IN HALF. Act accordingly.

3. Before coming into the forums with a character that may have some relation with a champion, please ask the current champion if they have any issue with this connection. This is to prevent any complications or errors in continuation.

If you want to be childhood friends with the Sheriff of Piltover, please ask her out of character if she would mind. If she does not want to do this, accept that and move on.

4. There are many races within Valoran. We all know about Humans and Yordles, Trolls and Ursine, Dragons and the Undead. There are also many races that exist outside of Valoran, such as Angels (Kayle and Morgana) Aliens (pretty much anything from the void) and even Celestials (Soraka)

Please consider carefully all races present within Valoran or within Lore before attempting to create your own race, or attempt to import a race from another universe.

Also, characters are HIGHLY recommended to stay under 8 feet, as anything taller has much difficulty moving around in a normal structure

5. The Champions of Valoran are powerful and influential figures who have dedicated their lives to mastering their crafts and skills. They are Exemplars of their respective fields and some of the brightest mind and most skilled hands in their professions. They have all come to the League for one reason or another. Perhaps they wish to become a Champion of a Faction, to bring their cause attention from the ordinary citizens of Valoran or just bring more influence for a specific faction. Perhaps they became a Champion to fight the strongest the world has to offer.

Almost All Champions however, come from Riot Games, and Original Characters must work hard to convince their peers they have what it takes to become such a powerful and influential being. They must spend their lives honing their craft and only with the acceptance of the community may they ascend to the legendary status as Champions.

Ask the Shaco

03-12-2014

This should be stickied.

*poofs away*

Grievous77

03-12-2014

I'm good with this, I took my guy way to far and these guidelines are helping right now as we speak.

Kuronan

03-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievous77 View Post
I'm good with this, I took my guy way to far and these guidelines are helping right now as we speak.
I'm glad the community was able to convince you to tone down your character...

Now, that being said, perhaps I could convince you to be shorter than 18 feet? to scale it, that's three average people standing on each other's heads. I imagine entering a building not designed specifically for someone so tall is impossible :/

TheShadowOfChaos

03-12-2014

And to those like me and a few others who have much higher resistances than your average guy. The OP people

Even if your armor is not penetrated...it will still hurt like a *****. Even if rock does nothing to you, a giant boulder falling on top of you will do quite a bit.

Grievous77

03-12-2014

Correct
I'm not gonna make a god he has to be strong but not super strong and has weaknesses.
Should,I write a fanfiction about my oc in. 300 league of legends style? Someone should do that.

Kuronan

03-12-2014

Perhaps we should also create sub-guidelines for OC races as well? We should discuss it in this thread.

LTCherz

03-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuronan View Post
Perhaps we should also create sub-guidelines for OC races as well? We should discuss it in this thread.
Yes. This.

TheShadowOfChaos

03-12-2014

Phantom is from an advanced human race on another planet. Warpgate malfunctions are quite crazy

Kuronan

03-12-2014

Here's my rough third guideline, I'd like to ask you all read it and then either give me a thumbs up or explain what needs to be changed.

3. There are many races in Valoran's lore and all of them can be extremely diverse. There are obviously Humans, there are also the Ursine, intelligent bears capable of walking on two legs, there are Trolls, there are Yordles, the Undead...

There are many races in Valoran, and even outside of Valoran too. Please consider all races carefully before attempting to create a new race. And there are no Dinosaurs in Valoran, so don't even think about it.

1234511 ... 34