Low Sustain Jungling Tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GenghisX

04-26-2012

Hey all, been playing casually for a couple of years now. Finally got the nerve up to try jungling a few weeks ago and have been running the free champions (Xin, Skarner, Nunu). I feel like I more or less have the hang of it.

I'd really like to be running some of the lower sustain champs though like Riven and Shyvana but I'm struggling with a few things on them:

1) I need a leash or wolves + blue murders me. I've never had an issue with getting one but--just in case--I'd like to be able to operate without.

2) I end up running out of health and needing to B after wolves, blue, wraiths, wolves, golems. I feel like I'm spending a lot of time B'ing that my teammates would prefer I be ganking.

3) I worry that I'm an easy target for counter-jungling since my health is so low while jungling.

Is it just a case of me needing a special rune/mastery page for low sustain jungling? Is there a different thought process that goes into it? Any advice or tips would be super appreciated as I'm struggling here.

popboyusa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2012

1 are you level 30? if not what level are you?
2 are you starting with cloth armor and 5 health pots?
3 i prefer jungling with one champion that i have alot of experience with, like just go straight with one jungling champion.
No point in switching if you have problems with the switch. Perfect-or atleast build experience- with one champion and then you can move on.

hope these tips help

Ebonclaw

04-26-2012

The difference between leash or no leash at blue can be as much as 2 full pots (or in a few cases, inability to successfully start your route at all), so should not be considered an acceptable possibility. On the rare occasion that I have people completely ignoring (and by extension, ruining) me as a jungler, I make a point of reaming the responsible parties and making -very- clear to them that their refusal to participate is unacceptable. If they still argue, I report them for Unskilled Player, Assisting Enemy, or Negative Attitude, depending on their actual reactions.

Some champs can level 2 gank, most others can run good level 4 ganks, there are very few that are worth playing that might pop into the lane at 4 just to scare the enemy, or try to get them to blow Summoner's, etc. Don't be afraid of a quick early recall before your first gank, especially if you're going to grab boots, which makes things much more likely to succeed. There is a benefit to getting out there as early as possible, but there's also benefit to letting the enemy jungle make an attempt first as now you know what part of the map they're on, or perhaps they die in their gank attempt so you can steal some of their spawns before ganking, etc.

There are so many idiosyncrasies to the various junglers, that it is hard to give comprehensive advice (though you'll find a lot of people who will try!). Each jungler will handle differently and have different sweet spots of activity or shopping.

You might try fitting more Armor into your runes, and going more into Defensive masteries isn't a terrible idea either, depending on your choice of champ.

popboyusa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2012

to add on to my earlier post, why would you play low sustain junglers since you have problems? Why not pick up Warwick? he has excellent ganks and a amazing ganking ult, which with coordination can turn a fight into a 4 v 5

HonorableGeneral

04-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by popboyusa View Post
to add on to my earlier post, why would you play low sustain junglers since you have problems? Why not pick up Warwick? he has excellent ganks and a amazing ganking ult, which with coordination can turn a fight into a 4 v 5
Warwick's ganks only really pick up steam at level 6, when his ult comes up. Before that, he has no hard CC, meaning that ganks are unlikely to succeed unless a wounded teammate baits the enemy into tower diving and then retreating past the area you're hiding.

Until you hit level 6, Warwick is worthless at ganking lanes UNLESS one of your teammates has a CC. Once you hit level 6, however...

GenghisX

04-26-2012

Thanks for the advice so far. Just for the sake of answering questions:

1) I'm level 30.

2) I mostly test routes in custom games and I've had very poor success with Vampiric Scepter (on fighters) and Regrowth + pot (on tanks) so I pretty much have to use Cloth + pots. In a real game--with a leash--I could probably get away with one of those... I think. With high sustains it seems like I can take pretty much whatever I want: boots + pots, regrowth, or scepter.
(As explanation, I've played high sustains in real games but never transitioned out of customs with low sustains because I would totally die of embarrassment if I died to golems).

4) Because I would rather be playing those champs, I guess? I feel like being bad at something in LoL just means I need to work harder at it and I'd like to round out my game. I think one of the drawbacks to LoL, though, is that it's often obvious that you're misplaying but hard to figure out how.