Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

An "answer" to smurfs.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Allen D Williams

04-26-2012

Quote:
R35ur3c710n:
Caution: Small wall of text to follow.

First a little back story. Just recently I was able to convince my girlfriend to start playing LoL. She has never played DotA, HoN, League, or any other game within the moba genre, so she's pretty green. Because of this fact, playing with her on my main account isn't really an option, she'd be severely outclassed, so I chose to make a smurf account to walk her through the game, explaining it as we go.

Now, I've heard the horror stories of lower level play, but I had no idea how bad it was until I actually experienced it myself. There were smurf accounts everywhere! Some were more obvious, like the ones with summoner names containing the word "smurf" or an individual champions name. Some were more subtle, the ones that make you think "Oh, he must be a previous DotA or HoN player." They do good, and you could imagine they have a few wins under their belt with how familiar they seem to be with League. Until you get to the end game screen and see that they are level 1 and the game you just played against (or with) them is their first win. While both League and HoN are both similar at their cores (what moba isn't?) they aren't so much alike that jumping from one to another you will instantly do good in your first game.

All these smurfs make it hard for my girlfriend to familiarize herself with the game. It's a bit hard to learn how to play when most of the game is spent dead, even with me doing my best to explain it to her and protecting her.

You may be thinking "by making a smurf, you are doing the very you are complaining about." But what are my alternatives? Custom games, at least what I've seen, contain more trolls than normals. I was considering a private game consisting of me and my friends, but my girlfriend is pretty competitive and finds the idea boring.

Let me also just state here, that when I play against or with a low level non-smurf player, I do my best to make their experience a positive one, offering to answer any questions they may have, or give pointers if they wish.

What I'm proposing is a sort of separate que, or que option for a "mentor" and their "pupil", matching you against people with similar situations, or, alternatively, put one level 30 on each team, and the rest of the players will be low level. Each level 30 is there to mentor the others for that match, and at the end, the pupils can give a rating to the mentor, and the mentor will be rewarded according to his score, also, mentors may be able to offer a "star pupil" award for the exceptionally well mannered, or quick learning low level. Obviously measures would have to be taken to avoid abuse of the system, such as adjusting ip rewards, or disabling party queing for the second option.

This is just a thought I had earlier today, and wished to share it and receive feedback. Also, with a community this size, I wouldn't be suprised if this idea hasn't been expressed already.

Millionaires also had a similar experience with smurfs and his brother. Here's his post.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1292851

The lower lvls are the easiest people I ever played. yeah most of them are smurfs but they are the baddies who sucked so bad at this game that riot permabanned them. I bet them with random pick champs, if you having problem beating them that means you suck

ForeverRemorse

04-26-2012

Lol alot of the good players out there had to go through the phase with smurfs and eventually got better at it. I don't see whats the big issue in just taking a loss as experience to help you learn more at the game, if you rage so easily so fast then ya shouldn't really be playing it any further.

I don't think this would change anything either, i had to make a new account on EU just because they didn't allow transfer from NA. I don't see an issue with it, so many smurfs on both sides these days it kinda evens out

Sr Render

04-26-2012

You do know to your opponent (starts), you are also one of those kick ass smurfs.

omgwtflolbbl

04-26-2012

Quote:
Strawhatxx:
The lower lvls are the easiest people I ever played. yeah most of them are smurfs but they are the baddies who sucked so bad at this game that riot permabanned them. I bet them with random pick champs, if you having problem beating them that means you suck

That's irrelevant. Yes, most smurfs suck terribly, but for any legitimate newbie they're still way ahead of the curve.

R35URR3C710N

04-26-2012

Quote:
Strawhatxx:

The problem isn't how well I do against them, it's how well my girlfriend can learn while being roflstomped every game. How I do personally doesn't matter, it's how well she can play, and how easily she can learn, not to mention she wants to have fun.

R35URR3C710N

04-26-2012

Quote:
ForeverRemorse:
Lol alot of the good players out there had to go through the phase with smurfs and eventually got better at it. I don't see whats the big issue in just taking a loss as experience to help you learn more at the game, if you rage so easily so fast then ya shouldn't really be playing it any further.

I don't think this would change anything either, i had to make a new account on EU just because they didn't allow transfer from NA. I don't see an issue with it, so many smurfs on both sides these days it kinda evens out

To be clear, I'm in no way expressing rage. I am simply voicing my opinion on the matter, and a possible alternative.

Flagonslayer

04-26-2012

If it takes years to reworks stealth I highly doubt they have time to worry about smurfs.

NicoliTheCat

04-26-2012

I had a solution to smurfs too, posted a while ago. In a nutshell: keep track of a player's accounts and treat all of them as the highest wins/ELO among the accounts for matchmaking.

R35URR3C710N

04-26-2012

Quote:
Sr Render:
You do know to your opponent (starts), you are also one of those kick ass smurfs.

I addressed this.

R35URR3C710N

04-26-2012

Quote:
NicoliTheCat:
I had a solution to smurfs too, posted a while ago. In a nutshell: keep track of players accounts and treat all of them as the highest wins/ELO among the accounts for matchmaking.

Accounts are linked to e-mail, and Riot has no way of linking one e-mail with another. :/