Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

An "answer" to smurfs.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

R35URR3C710N

04-26-2012

Caution: Small wall of text to follow.

First a little back story. Just recently I was able to convince my girlfriend to start playing LoL. She has never played DotA, HoN, League, or any other game within the moba genre, so she's pretty green. Because of this fact, playing with her on my main account isn't really an option, she'd be severely outclassed, so I chose to make a smurf account to walk her through the game, explaining it as we go.

Now, I've heard the horror stories of lower level play, but I had no idea how bad it was until I actually experienced it myself. There were smurf accounts everywhere! Some were more obvious, like the ones with summoner names containing the word "smurf" or an individual champions name. Some were more subtle, the ones that make you think "Oh, he must be a previous DotA or HoN player." They do good, and you could imagine they have a few wins under their belt with how familiar they seem to be with League. Until you get to the end game screen and see that they are level 1 and the game you just played against (or with) them is their first win. While both League and HoN are both similar at their cores (what moba isn't?) they aren't so much alike that jumping from one to another you will instantly do good in your first game.

All these smurfs make it hard for my girlfriend to familiarize herself with the game. It's a bit hard to learn how to play when most of the game is spent dead, even with me doing my best to explain it to her and protecting her.

You may be thinking "by making a smurf, you are doing the very you are complaining about." But what are my alternatives? Custom games, at least what I've seen, contain more trolls than normals. I was considering a private game consisting of me and my friends, but my girlfriend is pretty competitive and finds the idea boring.

Let me also just state here, that when I play against or with a low level non-smurf player, I do my best to make their experience a positive one, offering to answer any questions they may have, or give pointers if they wish.

What I'm proposing is a sort of separate que, or que option for a "mentor" and their "pupil", matching you against people with similar situations, or, alternatively, put one level 30 on each team, and the rest of the players will be low level. Each level 30 is there to mentor the others for that match, and at the end, the pupils can give a rating to the mentor, and the mentor will be rewarded according to his score, also, mentors may be able to offer a "star pupil" award for the exceptionally well mannered, or quick learning low level. Obviously measures would have to be taken to avoid abuse of the system, such as adjusting ip rewards, or disabling party queing for the second option.

This is just a thought I had earlier today, and wished to share it and receive feedback. Also, with a community this size, I wouldn't be suprised if this idea hasn't been expressed already.

Millionaires also had a similar experience with smurfs and his brother. Here's his post.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1292851

Quote:
Exadi:
I propose an adendum to this, with the simple reason that this would hurt lower level players even more. As you put it, there might be a level 30 on each team. What this realistically would mean for any smurf out there is that they no longer have to make new accounts (thus having continued access to all of their runes and purchases champions) and still have the ability to openly crush newbies in the game.

My proposal is that instead of putting a level 30 on each team:
> Allow a level 30 player to SPECTATE for each team
> > (Obv) Two spectators per game
> > Each spectator is assigned to one of the two teams
> > Each spectator can ONLY see what their respective team sees
> > Allow the respective spectator to communicate with their team (via chat, pings)

Players in the game would be able to rate their personal spectator after the match. In a system similar to the tribunal, the bad spectators get weeded out (ideally) and the good ones stay and receive an increased reward of whatever it may be (assuming, generic IP).

#My2Cents

League of Lesos

04-26-2012

Hey I made a thread about this ages ago.

Mister Simple

04-26-2012

I agree with this thread. To balance it out, they should also disable our runes and some of our masteries. It tilts the odds to lower levels a great deal.

R35URR3C710N

04-26-2012

Quote:
League of Lesos:
Hey I made a thread about this ages ago.

Have a link to it? I'd be more than happy include it in my post.

Adam Taylor

04-26-2012

So a smurf is someone who's a pro that makes a new account to slaughter newbies?

League of Lesos

04-26-2012

I bumped it for lols.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1292851

FeedOrDieTrying

04-26-2012

Quote:
Adam Taylor:
So a smurf is someone who's a pro that makes a new account to slaughter newbies?

I'd say they aren't pro, just because they need to go to lower levels to win games. But the idea is the same. Someone who knows fully how to play, starting a new account just to play against others who are just starting.

The new referral system is promoting a hellish level 0-10 environment for new players. Real bad decision on Riot's part.

imweasel09

04-26-2012

Quote:
Goron Fockbox:
I'd say they aren't pro, just because they need to go to lower levels to win games. But the idea is the same. Someone who knows fully how to play, starting a new account just to play against others who are just starting.

The new referral system is promoting a hellish level 0-10 environment for new players. Real bad decision on Riot's part.

On the flip side it makes smurfing less attractive, you can hit level 5 in 1-2 matches but level 10 takes quite a while longer.

Mister Simple

04-26-2012

Quote:
Adam Taylor:

Kind of but not exactly. I own a smurf but only because I invited friends and they don't know how to play. If I queued with them, they'd be fighting people WAYYYY better than them and i don't want them to get massacred so it's easier to teach with a lower level account.

And bots don't help you learn much.

Ltomato

04-26-2012

I think the best way to get into League at this point is the way I got into it: convinced to try it by a few level 30 friends, queue up with them (their actual accounts), and let the fun begin!

It actually works out. I struggled a bit until I became more familiar with the mechanics, but I didn't have to deal with all the smurfs out to crush me.
When you're playing against level 20s, they're usually not smurfs.