I have a noob question.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NikoGasm

04-24-2012

I don't know how people decide which lanes to take. I don't get how they're any different, and what makes certain people want what. What's the significance of each lane? Any tips and facts you have about lanes would really help me out.

TheCrazyNutcase

04-24-2012

Well you don't want to be a Sona laning against a Lee Sin do you?

NikoGasm

04-24-2012

I wouldn't know. :/ I'm pretty new.
But what I mean is I see people calling out lanes before the game even starts. How do they know they want that lane?

TheCrazyNutcase

04-24-2012

Depending on what champion you use is where you should be laning. If a champion solos a lane he will get more experience and more gold from last hitting creeps as a lane with duo champs in it. So Obviously your enemy is going to choose a champion who is good at solo laning, which means you should also pick a champion who is great at solo laning. It's the same with mid and bot, you need to get champions that excel at their lane and in their role, otherwise your opposing team will have the advantage.

NikoGasm

04-24-2012

How do I know what makes them good at which lane? What are the differences between the lanes? Or is it just who's going to be there that'll help you decide?

FriendOfFerghus

04-24-2012

In general Tanky Melee (sometimes tanky AP) Champions do top, High-damage AP casters go Mid, and bottom is usually one support and one ranged AD carry.

JustCallMeSpud

04-24-2012

I'm fairly new myself, but I'll try to answer.

Top lane is normally solo.
Mid is normally solo.
Bottom lane is normally a duo.
One person in the jungle, showing up and ganking lanes but generally getting their xp/gold from the jungle mobs. Sometimes a team won't have a jungle, but that's just silly talk there.

So you want team balance. If you have a team that's all attack damage, the other team will buy a lot of armor and pwn you. Most teams generally have 2 AD/2 AP. The remaining 1 person isn't really a damage dealer, but usually a support of some type (sona, janna, lulu, or a tank perhaps like Alistar).

Top and mid lanes, as previously mentioned, get all the gold/xp from their lane available to only them (and a little to the jungler when he's ganking or helping push a tower). Bottom lane, with two people, should have mostly one person getting the gold and the other (a support) not getting much/any.

Your solo lane people need to be able to sustain themselves somehow. Perhaps through pots, perhaps abilities or items. The bot lane champ doesn't need to have as much sustain, though it still helps, because they have the support champ assisting them. They also need to be able to get in to last hit the mobs and handle poke from the opposing champ in some way, either poking back or keeping range or whatever.

So looking at the AP/AD split and lane positions. Jungle is usually (not always) an AD champ, because you want that person to clear the jungle quickly and help the lanes. Mid lane is generally accepted as an AP champ. The person here needs to be on the ball about avoiding ganks, and hopefully about assisting the other lanes when the opportunity presents itself (your lane is priority, but sometimes it helps to go out of it if your opponent is dead or whatever). Veigar is a good mid champ because he blows up other AP champs, but more so because of his aoe stun (imo) that lets him avoid ganks. Top can be either ap or ad, and bot can be ap or ad as well, though usually you'll find an AD carry here because they tend to benefit more from the abilities a support champ offers.

Sample Team:
Top: AP
Mid: AP
Bot: AD
Bot: Support
Jungle: AD

As for what specific champs are good where, you'll have to learn that on your own. You'll get the idea. Most guides will indicate what a champ is good at too. Oh, and counterpicks. Some guides will indicate other champs that are strong counters to what a specific champ brings to the table. If you see someone pick Champ X, and you're familiar with this normally being a mid lane pick, and you know champ Y dominates in the lane vs X, you pick Y and stomp early/mid game against him. This leads to a snowball effect later, and you carry the team because you won your lane.

Ugh what a rambling mess. That's what I get for posting at 2am. Hope it helped a little bit.

TheCrazyNutcase

04-24-2012

This above poster was mostly correct, but top is usually a bruiser AD. Occasionally an AP but not all that often.

DJLTheFirst

04-24-2012

Let's make things a little easier for you.
Top laner champions are usually:
-Assassins (Talon, Pantheon)
-Bruisers (Udyr, Riven etc)
-Some AP champions (rumble, vladmir, kennen)
-fighters (poppy etc)
-champions with some sort of sustain ability(ies) (olaf, lee sin etc)

Mid Laners
-95% times, it's ap carries due to the fact that ap carries benefit from higher levels the most(karthus, cassiopeia, etc)
-other 5% times are when your team needs ap counter pick (talon etc)

Bot Laners - AD carry
-Ad carries, enough said. (graves, vayne, caitlyn, ashe etc)

Bot Laners - Support
-NA style: always sends a support champion, who doesn't benefit much from items, gold and levels, to help the AD carry farm well and preven him from dying by healing/shielding or providing other kinds of support. (janna, soraka, taric etc)
-EU style: SEND ANOTHER CHAMPION FOR EXTRA LANE DOMINANCE, BUT YOU GOTTA FIGHT OVER THE FARM WITH AD CARRY RAWR (any champion can go)

Asazen

04-24-2012

The reason why some people call certain lanes is because certain champs are way better there than others.

Usually..in the 1500ELOS at least.-Me... You have a top lane..Top lane is solo...u want to put someone that has a lot of sustain up there...Vlad, Nasus, Riven, ETC. The other team will do the same thing.

Mid is always going to be AP unless the other team decides to counter you with a Pantheon or Talon. Which is not that often. Brand, Mal, Kat, Ahri are good examples.

Bot is always a support and Carry. Reason is because your carry decides the game usually. The supports job is to keep the carry from taking damage and allowing him to out CS the other AD carry. Your support is supposed to try and keep your carry in lane getting Cs as long as possible so he or she can carry hard late game.

Jungle. Jungle you usually want a tankish AD who is fast and has a CC or stun. Udyr, Shyvana, Riven. They excell at fast, quick ganks, arent mana based, or dont rely on it much.

So overall you want a sustain at top. Get CS, farm as much as you can, try to kill opponent, own mi and late game.
Mid. You want AP, who can farm well and can gank post level 6.
Bot. Support and Carry. Harass other combo down bot and out CS him to get advantage.
Jungle= Fast, Stuns, Slows.

These make you win a game. Thats why people call them.