Item Gap: Health and Armor

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corltan

10-25-2009

I feel like there is an item gap in that there is only one mid or high tier items which combine health and armor stats. Sunfire Cape is there, but I don't feel like it is worth it in most instances. You pay 1000 gold for 40 magic damage per second, no increase in armor, and only a 25 increase in health. It just isn't worth it to me when you think about what else that 1000 gold can net you in survivability or effects, like thornmail or warden's... both of which have a much lower upgrade fee and offer great teamfight passives. From a farming aspect, by the time you can pick this up Rammus' normal abilities do very good aoe damage.

I used to play a lot of Rammus, and it became frustrating at times to have to deal with his low health pool and know that stacking armor for him in particular is important both to take advantage of his passive and for survivability against carries.

Most other tanks have very clear and easy item builds with items that very much take advantage of their passives and roles without forcing them to make tough choices... ie, Mundo with rushing warmogs and FoN, or singed with Rod of Ages. Rammus has to choose between making up for his shortfalls in health, or oging for high cost MR/Health items at the expense of armor.

TenToedPete1

Adjudicator

10-25-2009

Heart of gold, aegis of the legion, sunfire cape. all HP and armor items, and all very good items. If you think thornmail or warden's mail give "great teamfight passives" and dont think the same for sunfire cape, then i think you over exagerate their impact. Thornmail and warden's mail are 2 of the worst items in the game

Corltan

10-25-2009

Well... Heart of gold is a low tier item, hence i mentioned mid and high tier items. Aegis... maybe, it depends. But the health bonus on it is low. I find that 40 damage per second, highly mitigated by magic resist, does not feel like a huge difference maker in teamfights particularly when survivability and disruption is the primary role as a tank.

But as the post suggested, I'm viewing this somewhat from a Rammus perspective, as far as item choices. But i think other tanks could use the health/armor option as well. As far as thornmail being one of the worst items in the game... how else does a tank counter a geared carry?

TenToedPete1

Adjudicator

10-25-2009

thornmail can help to counter a geared carry, but really only as a 3rd or 4th item, as without some survivability you wont last long enough for it to take effect. I think you underestimate the power of sunfire capes. the passive stacks, they give good health and armor bonuses. Try to get 2 or 3, and watch as you become tough to kill, and do a lot of aoe damage. I have not done this with rammus, as i find his playstyle really boring, but on other tanks with aoe damage, its very powerful in team fights

Corltan

10-25-2009

Don't you give up significant magic resist and higher armor for this sunfire stacking? Its very costly seeming at... what, 2850 per sunfire? On champs like amumu where he roots whole teams in place around him I could see this being an option, but less so for others. Sunfire stacking seems more like a noobstomper than a long term strategy.

EDIT: I'm just trying to get a more defensively geared high tier item which offers armor and health.

EDIT2: A FoN for armor and health or something =p

Zine

10-25-2009

I concur, I'd like to see more options for HP/Armor and HP/MR items.

PiousFlea

The Council

10-25-2009

Rammus and Malphite are fairly balanced with this "item gap" in mind. I can't help but wonder if they will both be grossly overpowered if there are high end "FoN for armor" type items.

Corltan

10-25-2009

And Mundo seems fairly balanced itemwise even though he has an easy time stacking what he needs.

Lollerman

10-25-2009

The steep upgrade cost deters people from stacking what is otherwise a borderline OP item (Sunfires). It stacks with everything - most prominently itself - and if everybody on your team grabs one, your team fights are going to be cakewalk.

Need to look at the item by itself: getting a free 40/sec DoT adds to your DPS, and the money you lose can be made back easily with your new fire armour, as opposed to Thorn/Warden not offering any offensive abilities.

Corltan

10-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollerman View Post
The steep upgrade cost deters people from stacking what is otherwise a borderline OP item (Sunfires). It stacks with everything - most prominently itself - and if everybody on your team grabs one, your team fights are going to be cakewalk.

Need to look at the item by itself: getting a free 40/sec DoT adds to your DPS, and the money you lose can be made back easily with your new fire armour, as opposed to Thorn/Warden not offering any offensive abilities.

Actually, that really isn't true. You pay 1000 gold to upgrade to sunfire cape, which nets you +25hp and the 40 magic damage per second aoe. Thornmail for the 600 gold upgrade nets you 20% damage reflection which is offensive.