MIAs: to call or not to call, that is the question!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aikimiller

04-25-2012

There are two sides to this argument.

1) You should always call MIA's because it helps your teammates, (who probably need all the help they can get), which helps you win games.

2) You should never rely on MIA calls from your teammates, because having map awareness means you get more kills, fewer deaths, and helps you win games.

Drace Sylvanian

04-25-2012

Why bother to call MIAS? If you are with randoms, they don't watch their map, and will die no matter what. I just call mias so that my teammates don't go "OMFG WHY U NO CALL MIA I WOULD HAVE LIVED!" rage rage rage. Yeah, no matter what they would die, so I see no point in spending time to call it.

Reniath

04-26-2012

yes you SHOULD have map awareness and it is a skill that does need developeing but sometimes players have to pay attention on laneing with very hard laners while trying to last hit. most great players will notice and mia before it is called but all players have them moments where they have a hard matchup and have to play that much better in lane. honestly i just call my mias to help my team plus is keeps people quiet if they dont listen get ganked and then we blame that persons stupidity not the person who diddint call the mia.

Rollerball

04-26-2012

When someone says MIA the chat pops up and then after a while disappears again so theres no need to watch it. I find pings are equally useful as well.
I find its much better to focus on whats going on your screen. The only time i dont do that is when I am Karthus or Soraka and looking to pull my ultimate. Technically you need map awaeness in bad pubs who dont call MIA or do pings but not beyond that.

AndrewRogue

04-26-2012

Yes, it is a player's responsibility to be aware of the map themselves.

Yes, you should still call MIAs when able.

The simple fact is that this is a team game. At the end of the day, if that guy up on Top gets ruined because he doesn't have great map awareness and your pings could have helped? Part of the responsibility for that loss is on your shoulders.

The job of every member of the team is to do their best and give the team the best shot for winning. If this means going up in deaths to eat a skillshot for a trapped AD carry? You do it. If this means pinging your ass off to keep people with lower map awareness up to date? You do it. If this means calling for Barons and dragons? You do it.

Of course, there are going to be some people who won't be helped, but that is no excuse for not helping those who are willing.

HopeSheIs18

04-26-2012

Yeah I like the point that you brought up about how if your not watching the minimap how would they be watching the chat, and this topic is very debatable and to be honest I don't know some 30's make excuses of them dying trying to blame it on the person that didn't call an mia, but in my opinion if your 30 I don't think at that point you need an mia unless your over extending pretty badly, in that case their should be pings

NaringTaronyu

05-30-2012

You should be keeping an eye on everything, but sometimes it's hard to tell what's happening with all those blips on the minimap, it's easier for the person there to see what's going on.
It's only 6 letters to type, it takes seconds, and if you're wrong you can just type "nvm". You lose nothing by making an incorrect mia call, but if someones distracted you could save their lives.
I've lost count of the number of times I've concentrated on too many things at once, then got ganked by half their team because no one called mia.

midillusion

05-30-2012

If a player can't keep an eye on the minimap, how are they going to keep an eye on the chat box? And NaringTaronyu, you can lose a hell of a lot by making an incorrect mia call. There is nothing worse than dieing all because you were busy typing "mia" when you got jumped by the enemy team. And there have been times when I've called out mia, pinged the direction where the enemy was headed and my team still managed to die. Then next thing you know the following message appears in the chat box by the dead player:

"OMG Noobs, why no mia???"

Quote:
I've lost count of the number of times I've concentrated on too many things at once, then got ganked by half their team because no one called mia.
If you can't keep an eye on more than 1 thing at once, then LoL is not the game for you. Maybe you should try something simpler like WoW.

KatarinaCatKitty

05-30-2012

Do not call MIA, just ping. MIA will require you to let go of your mouse and that, in some cases, will mean the death of you. If you still get raged at for "not calling MIA" first tell them you pinged. If they continue then tell them to go play bots and learn some map awareness. Then be preparied to be trolled by hey nothing would of stopped that anyway.

0rphanPuncher

05-30-2012

Any good player grabs wards in lane, especially when there is a jungle, whom is always MIA Im with him in the sense that your allies are responsible for their lanes and their own map awareness. However I do believe that whatever lane your enemy goes, should be a lane you should go to.

For Example.

Lux goes B and Annie leaves the lane. Should Lux be responsible for watching lane while she isnt even there. Its the same if Lux has left to gank bot. If she is no longer in lane, she is no longer responsible for the enemy in lane.