MIAs: to call or not to call, that is the question!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KobuZero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2012

MIA's are important, call them. I cant count how many unnecessary deaths ive had because I didn't know mid was about to be up my ass.

HonorableGeneral

04-23-2012

The issue with not calling MIAs is team coherence. If your teammates cannot rely on you to do something as simple as call MIAs, then they will not trust you when you request that they help you push a turret (because you think everyone's somewhere else) or when they say that they're ready for a gank.

It may sound like babysitting, but calling MIA's builds team trust. If you can be trusted to help other lanes by pinging or calling out SS or MIA (SS preferable since it wastes less time - and uses only one hand), then people will be more willing to trust that you can make good plays. Eventually you should outgrow needing MIAs, but forcing people to do so before they are ready merely causes team conflict as your angry teammates begin beating on you for not typing three (or two) simple letters.

ZBuZ

04-23-2012

in mid lane it comes to a point where they just push and roam. dont know if i should call mias couple times a minute there or not

DMPuffy

04-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorableGeneral View Post
The issue with not calling MIAs is team coherence. If your teammates cannot rely on you to do something as simple as call MIAs, then they will not trust you when you request that they help you push a turret (because you think everyone's somewhere else) or when they say that they're ready for a gank.

It may sound like babysitting, but calling MIA's builds team trust. If you can be trusted to help other lanes by pinging or calling out SS or MIA (SS preferable since it wastes less time - and uses only one hand), then people will be more willing to trust that you can make good plays. Eventually you should outgrow needing MIAs, but forcing people to do so before they are ready merely causes team conflict as your angry teammates begin beating on you for not typing three (or two) simple letters.
No.

Team trust is built by going positive in lane, securing objectives, warding, ganking, and committing to fights. The entire map can be warded by 5 minutes if top lane buys one ward, mid lane buys one ward, jungler buys one ward, and bot lane buys one ward. This will cover top lane, both sides of mid lane, and bottom lane/dragon.

The only MIA's are most commonly used for is an excuse. Someone will blame someone else for their death by going "WURS MID MIA?!" It just isn't realistic to sit and type out that someone is MIA every time they go to wraiths or duck into a bush. When you see that everyone is visible, or the jungler is ganking another lane, THEN you be aggressive. Don't sit and be aggressive UNTIL someone calls MIA.

HonorableGeneral

04-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyForNothin View Post
No.

Team trust is built by going positive in lane, securing objectives, warding, ganking, and committing to fights. The entire map can be warded by 5 minutes if top lane buys one ward, mid lane buys one ward, jungler buys one ward, and bot lane buys one ward. This will cover top lane, both sides of mid lane, and bottom lane/dragon.
The issue being convincing your partners to ward they're lanes. If you're in a premade group that's all well and dandy, but in solo-queue you're going to find people who, for whatever reason (I need my build up, they don't have jungler, etc.) will not buy wards. Buying wards is always something you want to see, but it's not something you should ever expect unless you're in really high ELO streams (and even then... trolls...) and without warding everything else on your list falls apart.

Without wards, your jungler cannot possible judge whether ganking is a good idea or not, which either leads to him A. committing to a gank that is bound to fail due to the enemy jungler hiding in brush and waiting (thus potentially leading to going negative in lane), or B. not committing to ganks due to thinking that enemies are MIA when really the enemy went back recently due to being pushed from their lane.

DMPuffy

04-23-2012

Quote:
The issue being convincing your partners to ward they're lanes. If you're in a premade group that's all well and dandy, but in solo-queue you're going to find people who, for whatever reason (I need my build up, they don't have jungler, etc.) will not buy wards. Buying wards is always something you want to see, but it's not something you should ever expect unless you're in really high ELO streams (and even then... trolls...) and without warding everything else on your list falls apart.

Without wards, your jungler cannot possible judge whether ganking is a good idea or not, which either leads to him A. committing to a gank that is bound to fail due to the enemy jungler hiding in brush and waiting (thus potentially leading to going negative in lane), or B. not committing to ganks due to thinking that enemies are MIA when really the enemy went back recently due to being pushed from their lane.
I guess I'm in a far higher normal ELO then, because where I'm at at least, everyone wards constantly. It's really sad that people think warding is for high level streams. It's often warded to the point where no ganks are possible until a jungler picks up an early oracles, or the support (usually my duo buddy) goes roaming, and I only have about 200 more wins than losses.

HonorableGeneral

04-23-2012

Quote:
I guess I'm in a far higher normal ELO then, because where I'm at at least, everyone wards constantly. It's really sad that people think warding is for high level streams. It's often warded to the point where no ganks are possible until a jungler picks up an early oracles, or the support (usually my duo buddy) goes roaming, and I only have about 200 more wins than losses.
Well I myself am only level 14, so maybe that's why the whole warding thing hasn't caught on yet. I only ward because I've seen it done in streams, and because it's always nice to have a sense of security in my lane - not having to rely on SS or MIA calls.

But I won't condemn my team to death by not calling SS. I'd prefer it if they didn't need calls but as of right now I'm pretty much used to stopping for a half-second to press enter and type SS in my chat bar before returning to my game. I've missed out on some CS for that, but not quite as much as one would expect (calling MIA is way more awkward on the fingers than SS is).

DMPuffy

04-23-2012

Quote:
Well I myself am only level 14, so maybe that's why the whole warding thing hasn't caught on yet. I only ward because I've seen it done in streams, and because it's always nice to have a sense of security in my lane - not having to rely on SS or MIA calls.

But I won't condemn my team to death by not calling SS. I'd prefer it if they didn't need calls but as of right now I'm pretty much used to stopping for a half-second to press enter and type SS in my chat bar before returning to my game. I've missed out on some CS for that, but not quite as much as one would expect (calling MIA is way more awkward on the fingers than SS is).
Ahh... Well, I have somewhere near 1600 games played, so that is probably why our experiences differ so much.

HonorableGeneral

04-23-2012

Quote:
Ahh... Well, I have somewhere near 1600 games played, so that is probably why our experiences differ so much.
How do you judge when it's proper to buy wards over items? Oftentimes I find myelf a little behind in itemization because despite being the Tanky DPS or the AD carry I end up buying wards to help cover dragon, Baron, and some gank spots.

I do get yelled for this a lot, probably because carries and bruisers aren't supposed to waste gold on wards when no one else is, but I find myself doing it constantly and it's sometimes frustrating to find myself behind 200 gold on a Legendary Tier item like Frozen Mallet because I spent that gold on 5 or 6 wards.

DLT CorE

04-23-2012

By experience, you should have map awareness.
But just for the record, we're all humans and therefore we get distracted as well and we can also get too focused on the present moment on your lane. You just aren't looking at the map every single second. And that single second you or your teammate didn't look, it might be too late.
The point is, MIAs are never bad neither for you nor your teammates, everybody benefits. Anyways, it's better when people call MIAs because you can have some sense of security, you can focus more on your lane and less on the map (the occasional look is enough).