Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkness4910

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-08-2012

Which kind of runes (marks, quints) do you prefer in Dominion - Armor penetration or flat AD?
I think flat AD might be more efficient, because you won't waste the % penetration aura. But I can't really decide between these two choices >.<

DiscworldDeath

07-08-2012

You never truly waste %pen by getting flat pen, the combination is always more effective than each on their own, but is almost always lower than the sum of each on their own. Also, ArPen flat early helps a lot early game, especially if augmented by a Brutalizer.

AD marks and quints are really subpar, you only get them on SR really to help with last hitting. Arpen scales much better throughout the whole game, and you don't spend enough time in early game in Dominion for it to be worth it.

Last and not least, itemizing for AD is super easy. You have a lot of items that give AD. You have 4 items that give armour penetration of any variety.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-08-2012

**** and just yesterday i bought Jayce with ad/lvl marks because i thought he'd be good that way, should i stick with my arpen marks then?

DiscworldDeath

07-08-2012

AD/level works.
Flat AD works.

On Dominion, AD/level is alright, especially if you rush Last Whisper rather than Brutalizer and other items (well, don't have to rush it first, but still, get it early).

All of these runes "work". It's not that flat ADs are terrible...

But arpen will outdo ad/level on most champions. Difftheender on reignofgaming as the math plotted for it. And it'd happen rather quickly.
Also, if you get that early Brutalizer, it's even more noticeable, since flat resistance pen is better the closer you get them to 0.

I personally have flat AD, arpen reds and quints, and AD/level reds. But if you're only getting one, and only playing Dominion? Get ArPen.

These are the best runes for people who are looking to save IP, it's true for both Dominion and SR:
Reds: Armour penetration, magic penetration.
Yellows: Armour.
Blues: MR/level or MR. I personally prefer MR/level. Flat MR was nerfed, and MR/level is useful in more lanes on SR and on Dominion.
Quints: Armour Penetration. Flat AP.

Additional options:
health per level yellows.
MS quints, especially for Dominion. My personal favourite quints.

Infirc

07-08-2012

i do have all those runes except for the mr/lvl and one ms quint, i'll tweak the rune page when i come home then.

Darkness4910

07-08-2012

Thanks for your advice =) Well, I have both marks (flat AD and armor pen.), but I have a limited amount of rune pages - one for AP, one for AD and one for support. I hope I can buy a few more rune pages in the future.
By the way, I don't really need more AD for last hitting in SR. Should I make a +25 armor pen. rune page for my AD carry, or a +15 AD page?

DiscworldDeath

07-08-2012

You always want easier last hitting on SR, so AD carries go +15 AD.
Top lane champs go the +25 AP usually.

Junglers try to hit 10-12 AP, and the rest in AD, for faster clears.

Darkness4910

07-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
Top lane champs go the +25 AP usually.

Junglers try to hit 10-12 AP, and the rest in AD, for faster clears.
mmh looks like I need at least 3 more rune pages. But I could also change my movement speed quints to armor pen. quints, but that would leave me without a nice rune page for Dominion...

Darkness4910

07-10-2012

Sorry for the bump, but you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
But I am decently good at last hitting (without runes/bonus AD). Why should I run flat AD over ADpen? Why does it give your opponent an edge if he has more AD than you, but no real way to get through your armor?
Can anyone please give me a more 'in-depth' explanation? (:

Hamm3rhand

07-10-2012

the only time I used flat AD over ArPen, even on the Rift, is when I was jungling. On certain champs, Lee Sin especially, having the extra damage really helps speed up the jungle and improves ganks. This is mainly because due to his passive he does not require AS marks which are better for junglers like Udyr or skarner or nocturne. And for the bot lane, the last hitting is simply easier with a bit more AD, so you can spend less concentration on that and more on harassing and positioning in between last hits. This is because you don't have to worry as much about hitting and dropping the minion to only 10 health.