Trouble With Leveling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LuciferWhite

08-10-2010

Good afternoon.

Time and time again, I find that one of my main problems in LoL is that people seem to outpace me in leveling. This primarily stems from the fact that early game, I try and farm minions, and I inevitably encounter an enemy champion. And so, we wind up trying to kill each other, and I somehow always manage to lose.

At that point, I have hard time farming because they'll keep rushing me, and keeping me away from the minions. Since they're able to do this, they're able to farm and get higher levels than I do and are thereby able to gank me.

I've gotten better as time has gone on, but does anyone have any suggestions? As a note, this generally occurs with every character that I play, but tends to be more prominent when I play a caster type, such as Fiddlesticks or a tank..

Slogra

08-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferWhite View Post
Good afternoon.

Time and time again, I find that one of my main problems in LoL is that people seem to outpace me in leveling. This primarily stems from the fact that early game, I try and farm minions, and I inevitably encounter an enemy champion. And so, we wind up trying to kill each other, and I somehow always manage to lose.

At that point, I have hard time farming because they'll keep rushing me, and keeping me away from the minions. Since they're able to do this, they're able to farm and get higher levels than I do and are thereby able to gank me.

I've gotten better as time has gone on, but does anyone have any suggestions? As a note, this generally occurs with every character that I play, but tends to be more prominent when I play a caster type, such as Fiddlesticks or a tank..
I can't say for certain what the problem is unless I were to see you in action.

Try out damaging your opponents gradually by harassing while at the same time staying away from enemy harassment as much as you can.

In your example of Fiddlesticks, try throwing a Dark Wind whenever it's on cooldown at enemies with low HP and Magic Resist. If you get low on health, then Drain an enemy minion when it's safe to do so.

If you want to be more successful in the laning phase, you need to learn the ins and outs of your character more as well as basic harassing and farming techniques. If you're still having trouble, try:

1) Watching livestreams that people post in General Discussion and elsewhere. Watch what they do in the laning phase to outlane their foes.

2) Watch what your partner is doing, especially if they're doing better than you. Ask for tips and hope they're nice

3) Watch what the enemy is doing to outlane you. If you aren't causing enough damage, then you need to harass more. If they're causing too much damage, then you need to back off more.

Also, finally note that some champions are simply better at others in the laning phase. Champions like Zilean and Blitzcrank can starve you if they know what they're doing and you don't. If you have any other specific example of when enemies are starving you of XP, please respond and I or another will hopefully be able to give you more specific tips.

Fleiska

08-10-2010

I believe the reason why they outlevel you is that you're too far away from action... hugging the tower or dead. If you're playing fiddle: harash more and have lane partner who is not as squishy in the beginning as you are. If you're playing tank: just try to last hit creeps but stay behind/close to your own minions and wait for enemys' mistake and rape them with your lanelover. The beginning is all about knowing your enemy and keeping the distance. Also keep an eye on the mana bar above their heads.