[Character Discussion] Ashe, the Unstoppable Killing Machine

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jazriel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-24-2009

Hello, and welcome what I hope to be the Official Character Discussion for Ashe, the Frost Archer.

I don't really care about what people think of Ashe, whether she's an "easy" hero or people don't like her. I like playing as her and I want to promote the growth of her competitive potential.

If you want a detailed source of information on Ashe, this site already has all the information you could need.

Without further ado;

My time playing Ashe has shown that she is very flexible in terms of skill and item builds. Recently I have been testing carry builds with a focus on having the entire early-game be about farming. Plentiful Bounty is taken at every possible level and Madred's Razor is the first item obtained. I've had very interesting success with this build. It makes last hitting very reliable, Plentiful Bounty far more useful, and combined with Smite allows some impressive gold acceleration in the early game. In the mid-game I've focused on ganks, defending lanes, and jungling. The gold bonuses from PB, Smite, and neutrals either makes up for the deficit of killing creeps, or adds to it since Volley is a solid farming skill.

My other build is a high damage build. I think Frozen Mallet is a 100% staple on Ashe, it's a joke seeing enemy heroes think they can simply run away and then realize they can't. I like to get Philosopher's Stone first and then boots. Then I go straight for Phage, Boots of Swiftness, and then Frozen Mallet. However I have been finding that Last Whisper is extremely good, both on its own and on Ashe.

In terms of gameplay, I have yet to see an Ashe who plays better than I do. I'm no pro at LoL but I find people don't understand how to use Volley or Frost Shot. Volley's best late-game application is its huge AoE slow. Since I don't know if Volley applies Last Whisper's penetration or other item-based effects, I don't really aim to do damage with it late-game. As for Frost Shot, I've found that people's assessment of its application in the early game is retarded. A 40% slow was the baseline for useful in DotA and level 5 Frost Shot having 35% slow is barely acceptable. (Hency why I'm trying a PB-early build and consider Frozen Mallet the most important item she can have).

Discuss:

EmptyApartment

10-24-2009

thanks for the post Jazriel, im a relatively new LoL player and so far like using Ashe so i try and read as much as possible on her. I am no means a pro but ive read others people thoughts on how Plentiful Bounty doesnt add up enough until later levels so taking it early is not such a great idea, thoughts on that?

Scathain

10-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazriel View Post
Hello, and welcome what I hope to be the Official Character Discussion for Ashe, the Frost Archer.

I don't really care about what people think of Ashe, whether she's an "easy" hero or people don't like her. I like playing as her and I want to promote the growth of her competitive potential.

If you want a detailed source of information on Ashe, this site already has all the information you could need.

Without further ado;

My time playing Ashe has shown that she is very flexible in terms of skill and item builds. Recently I have been testing carry builds with a focus on having the entire early-game be about farming. Plentiful Bounty is taken at every possible level and Madred's Razor is the first item obtained. I've had very interesting success with this build. It makes last hitting very reliable, Plentiful Bounty far more useful, and combined with Smite allows some impressive gold acceleration in the early game. In the mid-game I've focused on ganks, defending lanes, and jungling. The gold bonuses from PB, Smite, and neutrals either makes up for the deficit of killing creeps, or adds to it since Volley is a solid farming skill.

My other build is a high damage build. I think Frozen Mallet is a 100% staple on Ashe, it's a joke seeing enemy heroes think they can simply run away and then realize they can't. I like to get Philosopher's Stone first and then boots. Then I go straight for Phage, Boots of Swiftness, and then Frozen Mallet. However I have been finding that Last Whisper is extremely good, both on its own and on Ashe.

In terms of gameplay, I have yet to see an Ashe who plays better than I do. I'm no pro at LoL but I find people don't understand how to use Volley or Frost Shot. Volley's best late-game application is its huge AoE slow. Since I don't know if Volley applies Last Whisper's penetration or other item-based effects, I don't really aim to do damage with it late-game. As for Frost Shot, I've found that people's assessment of its application in the early game is retarded. A 40% slow was the baseline for useful in DotA and level 5 Frost Shot having 35% slow is barely acceptable. (Hency why I'm trying a PB-early build and consider Frozen Mallet the most important item she can have).

Discuss:
Why would you get a Frozen Mallet when you have frost arrow? why spend all that gold for a slow, 775 hp and 20 dmg, when you can get a high damage item and still have a slow?

RyuuKitten

10-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazriel View Post

Without further ado;

Discuss:
Volley's use endgame is if you build properly it hits fairly hard and applies a slow even when they're a bit out of range. It's also a great way to burst a bit of damage (hit->ult->volley is a big chunk)

Frost shot is amazingly useful, you'll easily be able to chase down a target on it's own and if you're not alone then your teammates can easily run up and beat it to a pulp.

my usual build at the end ends up being this

Regrowth Pendant (initial item)
Boots of Swiftness/Zerker Greaves/Merc Treads (depending on the other team)
Black Cleaver
Infinity Edge
Banshee's Veil
If it's still going, stack phantom dancers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyApartment View Post
thanks for the post Jazriel, im a relatively new LoL player and so far like using Ashe so i try and read as much as possible on her. I am no means a pro but ive read others people thoughts on how Plentiful Bounty doesnt add up enough until later levels so taking it early is not such a great idea, thoughts on that?

PB is completely useless. Don't get it until you have to. (ie FS/Volley maxed) It doesn't even add up to a lot at later levels either, but you have to start putting points into it because they don't want you running around with a level 10 volley or something :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathain View Post
Why would you get a Frozen Mallet when you have frost arrow? why spend all that gold for a slow, 775 hp and 20 dmg, when you can get a high damage item and still have a slow?
Before they used to stack, I don't know if Items+Skills stack anymore, as they made it so different items slow's don't anymore (Ryjal's+Mallet for instance)

The main reason now(if they don't stack) is it is the only item that gives both damage and survivability.

h4rdcor3

10-24-2009

copy from the other current ashe thread

first off, getting PB is a waste. like Ryuujinx said it doesn't get enough gold to actually do anything. 200 creep kills is a lot in an 40 min game, unless you just lane and are worthless to your team. at level 5 that is 1000 gold. Take into account leveling and you are looking at ~600 gold. With volley and frost shot you can harass much easier and push them back to their tower and make them go back to heal. effectively denying both gold and exp, which is much better than a few gold early game.

Personally I do not see Ashe as a great carry. Yes, with a lot of items and time you can become one but just about any champion can become a carry with the right items. I see her more as a dps/support. Her consistant slow, aoe slow, and global ult that stuns and aoe slow is amazing at helping others escape, or slowing others down to let your team kill them.

Anyone wanting to play Ashe should read through this thread. It covers a lot of different ideas about build strategy from people who play in high level games. It is a little bit older but it still has very good information.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2009

frost arrow and frozen mallet stacks. ashe is imba but not as a killer. her slows are rigged as heck.
as an imba killer, twitch fits the description better.

Zine

10-25-2009

Ashe is about high damage and crits. Her passive gives her guaranteed crits to open most fights. Go for an infinity edge and black cleaver to capitalize on her passive. Open a fight with her ult, and 2 crits and you pretty much kill any non-tank

EmptyApartment

10-25-2009

what do you (or any Ashe player) recommend your very 1st item buy to be? and does that change if your playin the new 3v3 map or the 5v5 map?

Jazriel

Recruiter

10-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Ashe is about high damage and crits. Her passive gives her guaranteed crits to open most fights. Go for an infinity edge and black cleaver to capitalize on her passive. Open a fight with her ult, and 2 crits and you pretty much kill any non-tank
I disagree with this entirely. Ashe is clearly about obtaining +damage items, but her passive Crit only applies once in a battle. If anything it's clearly superiour for farming as your ability to last hit is increased thanks to reliable crit damage.

The reason why IAS is bad on Ashe is because of Frost Shot. AP only affects one skill and that skill matters more for the stun and set-up than the impressive 500 damage.

Currently I like to get Last Whisper and The Brutalizer for making her damage as potent as possible. I would also assume that bringing your enemy into negative armor increases the damage you do. I wish I knew if LW and TB's armor penetration applied to Volley. Even if it doesn't, the logic behind dualing damage and armor penetration should be obvious instead of damage and crit when the character is discouraged from getting IAS.

h4rdcor3

10-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyApartment View Post
what do you (or any Ashe player) recommend your very 1st item buy to be? and does that change if your playin the new 3v3 map or the 5v5 map?
Lately I've been going with a meki pendant and 2 health pots when I solo. The pendant keeps you with lots of mana regen for your volley harass and the 2 pots will keep you alive. The meki pendant will usually get built into a Chalice for the little extra regen and the nice MR. My other common choice is boots and 3 health pots.

With a partner depends on what they can do for me.

Haven't played 3v3 but i'd assume my volley spam would be even more important.