Best Ranged/PVP Champion and Setup?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doomspikinator

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueber View Post
Attack damage vs ability power. The term refers to the type of item you build to scale your damage.

AD carry-generally does more auto attack damage but has weaker abilities. Tends to go bottom lane with a support in the current meta. Almost always ranged character, but Master Yi and a few others could also be considered an AD carry type.

AP carry-does most damage with your abilities. Tends to go mid to level up faster so you can have higher level abilities so you can blow stuff up faster.

AD carries are generally going to be squishy. Many have one ability to help them get away, but will tend to go pop. Urgot is really the only AD carry that isn't so squishy, but he's also more of an "AD caster" in that he does most of his damage with his abilities and lacks a "steroid" ability to beef up his auto attack damage. He's a fun hero to play but is definitely not your typical ranged AD carry.

AP carries generally end up being tankier. They are (generally) more powerful early to mid game. They (generally) bring more CC/utility to the fight late game. Compared to AD carries, there are more options to get tanky with the caster items (Rod of ages, Rylas, Hourglass, etc). You may want to look into the AP carries more. Annie is pretty easy to learn, Brand is really strong, Morgana's easy to farm with and generally good. Lots of options. You're just going to be relying on your abilities more for damage than auto attacks.
Awesome! Thanks for the explanation!

Doomspikinator

04-17-2012

I really appreciate all the feedback guys. I've noticed no one has said Miss Fortune or Ashe though. (I'm just saying that as they're the only ones in the bunch I have played with) Any certain reasons not to use them?

Ueber

04-17-2012

They're good champions. Their big weakness is that they lack a really good escape ability (both rely on slows to kite, which is a bit more challenging to do than just jumping to safety with a built in flash type ability. It's really a problem when you're not level 15 yet, can't get flash, and are playing against a melee champion who can close the gap quicky early, is tankier than you and probably does comparable if not more damage early in the game. Can be a real frustrating experience.

Doomspikinator

04-17-2012

Ahhhhh, gotcha gotcha. Yeah, I've relied on them alot to not die thanks to Guardian Angel, Heal, and Ghost, but if I'm still on cooldown for Heal or Ghost (or don't have them equipped), or don't have Guardian Angel, I'm pretty much screwed, so I can definitely see the usefulness of a flash or teleport-type ability instead.

Doomspikinator

04-17-2012

I think I'm liking an AP carry champion moreso, I really like to push and let off a barrage of damage here and there with my abilities, so I'm focusing more on them now.... hmmmmmmm....

ShadowStormLOL

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
'Some of the beefier AD carries are...' *list of some AD carries and some non-AD carries*

>.<

As you said, Cait and Trist can be hard to catch (so can Kog in that respect, more so even), but that doesn't make them 'beefy.'

Urgot is a really weird AD carry, because he really isn't an AD carry... he's an Urgot, nobody is quite like him.

Nidalee is almost always built as an AD bruiser, sometimes support, and on the rare occasion something else.

GP is a beef (though he varies on the scale from super beefy to fairly fragile melee depending on the build).

Ryze and Vladimir... as you said, mages. (Not AD carries.)
I specifically said that these weren't on his list. >.<

And he wasn't asking specifically for AD carry suggestions. He wanted ranged champs that don't melt in an instant. Ryze, Vlad, Nidalee, Urgot ALL fit that bill.

And I've found that people who like to attack from range and be "not squishy" like GP.

We can quibble over terminology all day, but I don't see how that helps new players pick champions they might like. I stand by my suggestions.

*shrug*

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-17-2012

My point was is that if you're suggesting AD champions, you list AD champions. If you're going to suggest a variety of champions, don't lump them all under the 'AD carry' tag and hope they read disclaimers for 3/4 of them.

There was nothing inherently wrong with your advice, but the manner in which it was phrased could lead to confusion down the road; I believe such confusion chould be avoided, and should be easy to do so.

Doomspikinator

04-17-2012

I got the gist guys. Thanks so much for all the help! I think I've got my list narrowed down a bit more now. Here's where I stand now:

-Graves

-Urgot

-Twisted Fate

-Vayne

-Tristana

-Vladimir

-Brand

-Morgana

Any more specifics on these champions for pros/cons and builds? Anyone in my original list I should consider more?

ShadowStormLOL

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
My point was is that if you're suggesting AD champions, you list AD champions. If you're going to suggest a variety of champions, don't lump them all under the 'AD carry' tag and hope they read disclaimers for 3/4 of them.

There was nothing inherently wrong with your advice, but the manner in which it was phrased could lead to confusion down the road; I believe such confusion chould be avoided, and should be easy to do so.
That's fair. But maybe next time, say that first, rather than just a line-by-line teardown? I'm always happy to edit to clear up confusion (which I'll do now).

Thundercleese

04-17-2012

Hmmm... as for your original crushes, Miss Fortune and Ashe, I'd suggest you hold off. They're viable and there is nothing wrong with them at all, but IMO their style isn't the bestl for beginners. In advanced games, if you had a competent support player to share a lane with, you'd be having a lot of fun with those girls but in beginner games I'm not sure how ideal they are.

Miss Fortune has a great laning phase but then loses her luster later. If you don't take full advantage of her early game power, then you're not going to enjoy playing her and her minimal team fight utility later.

Ashe is great level 1 if you know how to take advantage, then falls off quickly, then is great later... as long as you know how to use her ultimate. Aside from kiting which isn't that intuitive for beginners, she's not a great harasser or escaper so its kind of the opposite issue that MF has. MF wants a support to help her kill, Ashe wants one to help her farm... and you might not even get a support in your lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomspikinator View Post
I got the gist guys. Thanks so much for all the help! I think I've got my list narrowed down a bit more now. Here's where I stand now:

-Graves = Semi tanky, natural dash, good utility spells. Thumbs up.

-Urgot = Hard to learn, fun to play when you do... really fun! But pretty hard. Maybe?

-Twisted Fate = Ehhh... don't know him well to be honest. Love having a good one on my team though. Seems he has a high skill cap.

-Vayne = Assassin Carry!

-Tristana = Natural flash ability, best range in the game... don't get me wrong, not saying she's a beginner champ, just that she's beginner friendly.

-Vladimir = Haven't ever played him, not even once to figure him out on his free week. That beehive hairdo gives me the creeps...

-Brand = Good champ, well balanced... Annie is a more beginner friendly AP Caster IMO though.

-Morgana = Great champ... not going to talk about balance cause people might get upset. You like the winning? Learn to play her.

Any more specifics on these champions for pros/cons and builds? Anyone in my original list I should consider more?