Owning with Kog Maw

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Forestgreen02

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
1) Kog is a very strong Top solo defender. Hide in the top bushes. When enemy caps, you Ult them.
This is very very bad tip. You should never hide in top bushes, if the enemy team has a brain, they will constantly 4v3 your team in the jungle. Even if your team retreats, they can push your team back out of jungle and go for a straight up 4v1 gank on you top (your team loses speed boost and won't get to top in time). If your team ain't in the jungle they will backcap you ALL day and constantly gank your bot lane. Only time when you should be up in the brushes hiding is when you see two enemies pushing the lane. 2 not 1, if its 1 get on your point and clear the wave.

Imwetoddid

04-17-2012

Dear Free Week Kog'maw,

Your positioning determines how much time it takes to kill you. Don't stand with the tanks.

-Bruisers

FDru

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Malady costs 1900g. It gives you 1250g of attack speed which is very nice. The 20 onhit is worth about 800 of "AD". The magic resist shred is worth maybe 300ish as very few can really survive that many autoattacks anyways. The AP is practically worthless. You just can't hit the magical 50 AP needed to squeeze out another 1% to your barrage. Its not that useful to your Ult or your Puke even.
It costs 1825g, and you don't need to get a full 1% to get added damage on barrage. Every AP counts towards it even if the tooltip doesn't show it. The magic shred is really where it shines though. Stacked on top of Q you get a ton of magic shred (and since magic pen/reduction are better the lower the target's MR is, this matters a lot against players who just grab 1 MR item, which is most players in my experience).

Anyone stacking MR is not going to do enough damage to you to matter (like a Singed or Malphite) as long as you have your Wit's + Mallet so I wouldn't even consider getting Void in most situations.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2012

When I looked at the DPS spreadsheet, I was rather unimpressed by the magic shred, which I had overvalued for quite a while. Lets say you deal 100 DPS physical and 200 DPS magical vs a foe with 50 armor, 50 MR.

Hit #1 = 66phy +133magical = 200. (50/150 = 33% reduction)
#2 = 66phy + 200 times (1 minus 44/144) = 138 = 204
#3 = 66phy + 200x(1-38/138) = 211
#4 = 66phy + 151 = 217
#5 = 66phy +x = 224

This isn't BAD, but its not amazing either especially since I rarely get to continuously shoot a foe many times over. Im lucky to get in 5 or 6 hits, so the average gain is a lot less.

Yes the AP does help slightly on your Ult but its not enough to matter. 20 AP @ 0.3 ratio = 6 extra damage to the 400 it deals at level 16 (the AP gain is NOT multiplied by 2.5). Nor is adding a bit of AP to Puke all that great. Yeah its not worthless I suppose but its not all that valuable either.

Ive never heard of AP adding to your barrage. All of the % per X AP skills Ive known either give a percent or they dont. At half of X they round up, then you need X to get the next percentage point. Has anyone really tested this exhaustively? You'd have to do a custom game and do very specific math to test this. There is no way to "feel the difference".

-------------
As for the Hide in Top thing... Id recommend trying it and seeing what happens. I'm not sure why your teams are duking it out in the jungle for instead of defending their nodes. If 4 people want to rush top, then the rest of the team will take their 2 nodes instead. Giant posses of dudes doesn't tend to work very well.
Most domininons Im in are fairly chaotic and hiding top gets me a decent amount of easy kills and wastes a lot of the enemy's time. Your mileage may vary I suppose.

Warrrrax

04-18-2012

Final effort on OnHit vs AD:

If you are Tristana/Graves/etc, then you get a big Attack Speed steroid. Or maybe you are Ashe and get a free crit. Or are Graves/MF and get AD scaling skills. Or get attack resetters like Vayne or Sivir.

In those cases, rushing an Infinities Edge makes sense. That BFSword increases your damage output quite a bit. So does the Pickaxe.

Kog has NONE of those. His AD scaling sucks, and his AS steroid is 10% until level 14 when he starts boosting it to 30%. So by definition, he gets LESS out of the IE rush than pretty much all other carries. His big OnHit kind of makes up for it, but you aren't doing him any favors.

This is why AS/Onhit is so strong. It actively helps out his big Onhit damage and multiplies it, instead of just adding to it which is what cranking AD does.

If you want to go AD, at least start building with ZEAL and PD first. This will increase his DPS more than BFSword/Pickaxe by a decent margin, AND give him lots of extra speed. Then you can work on IE.

------
The Last Whisper argument is bogus too. When exactly do you get the LW?

Start of game? Nope.
After Prospectors/boots (1300g)? Nope.
After your IE? (5400g)? Nope.
After your PD? (8100g)? Probably not. Need lifesteal or a Phage/Mallet.
After your Sanguine Blade? (11,100g). Probably. Would like Mallet...
After your Mallet? (14,300g)? YES! Now would be a great time to add Last Whisper.

Except the game has been over for 20 minutes now! Even if you get it after IE/PD, it won't complete until youve gone over 10,000 gold! Which is probably end of game.

Therefore I say that the Last Whisper vs Voidstaff argument is totally bogus. Fine for physical casters, but usually not applicable for autoattackers.