Really wondering about this...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Circuit Bear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-16-2012

To be honest, I would just block and ignore, along with what the rest have said, do not tell them you are a girl.

My group usually has anywhere from 1 to 2 girls in it in every team, even with only two people in the group at that given time. My "LoL" parents as I heard the term on the forum, were a girl who plays one of the best supports I have ever team a Lux that almost always carries, so the ones who mock it are probably people without female friends.

My advice would simply be to get a group you enjoy playing with, play with them whenever you do get on, and block anyone who annoys you. I know the community is kinda terrible(no where near as bad as S4 thankfully), I get cussed at a lot since I am a late game player and my early game is not always great, expecially with someone like nasus but I normally make up for it in the midgame. But I just found that the block button is your best friend, along with reporting for negative attitude/verbal harrassment, even if it doesn't get them banned, it makes me feel a little better.

Just my thoughts

Edit: trying to fix my grammar while sick and tired does not work well.

SingByDeath

04-17-2012

It does not make any sense why you would even mention that you're a girl in game. Seems rather odd when you think about it. In my opinion I don't care who I play with, as long as they communicate "maturely" through chat and don't troll it doesn't matter whether your a chick or ****. Again though I have no idea why you feel the need to tell other players that in game, there's 100% no reason for you to mention it.

Lady Caitlyn

04-17-2012

I only mention I'm a girl when someone makes a offensive comment to a teammate among the lines of "You suck, you play like a girl" (I find this quite offensive) or when I'm playing with my fiancÚ and I call him by a sweet name or he does it to me.

But I shall take the advise and mute myself to trolls. About disclosing that I'm a female, I have no issues with that. Why should I be ashamed in being a girl and play online games? Exactly. Besides some notice my gender by the way I type on the chat, lots of "(:", ":3", "^-^"... You get the point.

I have already a list of ignored players over some not so nice comments. No offense but some guys need to open their minds more cause girls can be so good as them on gaming.

I'm just gladly that at least I've found some nice players that doesn't mind being carried by a girl; they make some nice comments about the way I play after the game and such. I make sure to fill my friend list with persons like that.

(And sorry if I make any mistakes at typing, I'm Portuguese ^^)

CamPaine

04-17-2012

I'm not even sure why you are disclosing you are a girl. I never see anyone disclose race, gender, ethnicity, background, etc. I'm not saying hide in the shadows, but in reality the four other people on your team honestly do not care of your gender/background. They only care about one thing: are you good? Stonewall did a good talk session about this. No one cares what race or gender you are as long as you win your lane, play with the team, and don't feed. The people that call you out are trolls in the first place, and you are leaving the bait in the wide open by disclosing something somewhat irrelevant to the match ahead. If I were to tell my teammates that I was black I would see no benefit from it, and the only outcome that can occur is a negative one.

PrincessIrelia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2012

I usually just feed their lane, and that gets them to shut up quickly.

PrincessIrelia

05-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamPaine View Post
I'm not even sure why you are disclosing you are a girl. I never see anyone disclose race, gender, ethnicity, background, etc. I'm not saying hide in the shadows, but in reality the four other people on your team honestly do not care of your gender/background. They only care about one thing: are you good? Stonewall did a good talk session about this. No one cares what race or gender you are as long as you win your lane, play with the team, and don't feed. The people that call you out are trolls in the first place, and you are leaving the bait in the wide open by disclosing something somewhat irrelevant to the match ahead. If I were to tell my teammates that I was black I would see no benefit from it, and the only outcome that can occur is a negative one.
I don't think you understand. It sucks when you go 0/14 in ranked, because the guys only let you play support roles, and then they can't cs. It's like they're trying to impress you by getting tons of kills, but in the end, they have 30 cs by 15 mins as ranged ad, and maybe 1 kill at most. Then they blame the game on you, and it makes you look way worse, because then people think you can't last hit minions at all. Like you turned down the carry role, because the lower elo people around 500 thought they were the best.

Vikaryous

05-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyBarf View Post
Don't be offended by them. They just think they're cool by making sexist comments.. Do follow this guy's advice and don't let them know you're a girl. Just for the record, there is nothing wrong with a girl playing, it's just less common and I guess some guys are shocked by being in the presence of a girl. Maybe that's why they're playing video games and not out with a girl hahaha
There's a stigma attached to disclosing your gender on the Internet for a reason. Any female can figure out pretty quickly that the kind of guys that frequent the Internet are easily manipulated. And even if they don't, your gender is irrelevant, so it often smacks of begging for attention to share that you're a girl. "Oh, you're doing so awful, noob." "Be nice, I'm a girl, bla bla bla." It's why "**** or gtfo" exists.

I'm not saying that's you, OP, or saying that it's fair. But really, I'm usually mistaken for a girl online. Do I care? Not really. Does my gender really matter in the course of the game? Not at all. So why correct them, or even care at all about a random idiot's perception of me? It's just not worth the potential for trouble.

Ofermod

05-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessIrelia View Post
I don't think you understand. It sucks when you go 0/14 in ranked, because the guys only let you play support roles, and then they can't cs.
I wonder how much of that is gender-related, and how much is just that the majority of people dislike playing support. I've noticed that in draft mode, if I don't "call" a lane immediately, pretty much every other slot is called. Typically by using only one word, either in all caps or no caps. It's rare that anyone "calls" support, and I don't generally feel like starting an argument over it.

I'm not saying that there isn't an unfortunate gender stereotyping going on, just that that isn't all of it.

PrincessIrelia

05-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofermod View Post
I wonder how much of that is gender-related, and how much is just that the majority of people dislike playing support. I've noticed that in draft mode, if I don't "call" a lane immediately, pretty much every other slot is called. Typically by using only one word, either in all caps or no caps. It's rare that anyone "calls" support, and I don't generally feel like starting an argument over it.

I'm not saying that there isn't an unfortunate gender stereotyping going on, just that that isn't all of it.
I pretty much just go ranged ad every game, but if some one lower elo than me picks ranged ad, and the others just laugh about it and say atleast it's not my lane or something. I just go jungle sivir or something.

Ofermod

05-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessIrelia View Post
I pretty much just go ranged ad every game, but if some one lower elo than me picks ranged ad, and the others just laugh about it and say atleast it's not my lane or something. I just go jungle sivir or something.
Heh. I've had to wind up doing things like Support Singed or Support Renekton when someone else decides to pick a solo top after I've already done so.