Why does everyone hate on Dominion so much?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenant View Post
This fits SR way more then it does Dominion.

Dominion has always been pretty snowball-resistant, if both teams are skilled. Of course, if one team is just outright better than the other, then of course the game would snowball, but this would apply across other maps.
the most snowbally map is definetely TT the games there are short enough for people not to realize followed close by SR where if you get one fed teammate then it's pretty much a sure win unless he goes all rambo all mid and tries to 1v5 the enemy under their turret, but is other 20 or30 minutes of waiting before the game tells you that you won. i've prety much only been in three snowballed game sin DOminion, one where i was playing Warick "go figure" xD, one with the old pre-nerfed pre-remade jax on the enemy team, gosh that thing was op and one where every single enemy was an Ad carry, mostly melees and everyone on my team got a thornmail (yes even Ashe).

Kiddalee

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basoosh View Post
Participation medals prove that America is going to poop and...

...where was I going with this again?
I don't like it when people use that. It's such a tangent. It's not like parents can't sign their kids up to properly competitive leagues if they care enough.

Ardenor

04-17-2012

It's regrettable that Dominion hasn't been embraced by the community at large. Most players just don't take it seriously.

Some players seem to think that Dominion is more casual than Classic; therefore, they feel justified when they decide to play suboptimal champions, or experiment with troll builds, or participate halfheartedly. Compared to Classic, I seem to get more leavers. And compared to Classic, I seem to get more players who random their champions. But it doesn't bother them. "It's just Dominion." I can't stand that attitude because it's not fair to me or anyone else who's playing the game to win.

Of course there are many who play it competitively. Our community here on this subforum is a testament to that. But there are others who only play it competitively as a means to an end. I got excited when I saw SYDTKO streaming Dominion some weeks back. That was before I learned that he was merely using it as a tool to increase his smurf's levels rapidly. So much for high ELO players appreciating the game mode for more than just its experience gains.

On the bright side, Morello recently remarked about changes in the works for Dominion. I don't think Riot forgot about us. They just have to consider the needs of Classic first.

DJTK

04-17-2012

Changes for Dom? Did he say what? I do so love Dominion. :D

Ardenor

04-17-2012

Here's a link to the interview with Morello where he speaks briefly about upcoming Dominion changes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgXXtukE7rs

It's unfortunate that he can't go into specifics, but it's comforting to know that they recognize Dominion's flaws and they're working on fixing them.

inFe eD

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardenor View Post
Here's a link to the interview with Morello where he speaks briefly about upcoming Dominion changes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgXXtukE7rs

It's unfortunate that he can't go into specifics, but it's comforting to know that they recognize Dominion's flaws and they're working on fixing them.
All that video showcases is that Morello has no idea how Dominion works, because the only lane where 1v1 heroes dominate heavily is bottom. Top lane is decided more by team comp early on, because a team of 4 duelist pubstar champs will get melted by a poke team that knows how to kite properly. Squishy champs that rely on having a frontline are perfectly viable.

His jazz hands make up for it though.

Ardenor

04-17-2012

Quote:
the only lane where 1v1 heroes dominate heavily is bottom. Top lane is decided more by team comp early on, because a team of 4 duelist pubstar champs will get melted by a poke team that knows how to kite properly. Squishy champs that rely on having a frontline are perfectly viable.
Agreed. But the thing is you know that, I know that, and the people who frequent this forum or are really passionate about Dominion know that. The rest of the community still thinks Dominion is just a tanky DPS fest. Their perception isn't reality.

So I'm not really convinced that Morello is ignorant or even misinformed. He might just be speaking to the lowest common denominator in this instance or even generalizing for the sake of time or ambiguity. He said it himself that they have changes in store but he just can't go into specifics as of yet. Whatever those changes are will reveal just how in-tune the developers are with Dominion's real metagame.

deepbluereason

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardenor View Post
Most players just don't take it seriously.
It has a tiny playerbase (relative to SR), no ranked mode, no important tournaments, no popular streamers and, most importantly, is as neglected as TT by Riot. If I didn't already play Dominion I wouldn't take it seriously either.

Ardenor

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepbluereason View Post
It has a tiny playerbase (relative to SR), no ranked mode, no important tournaments, no popular streamers and, most importantly, is as neglected as TT by Riot. If I didn't already play Dominion I wouldn't take it seriously either.
Spot on.

Thinking back to the recent IPL4 tournament, the event organizers pit Rioters against professional League players in Dominion. Except it wasn't Dominion the way it was meant to be played; rather, it was all random, all bottom, or ARAB as it's commonly known. Now I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with ARAB games. Before ARAB, it was ARAM on Summoner's Rift. I just think it's a shame that this struggling game mode seems to earn more streams and press with its unofficial mode of play rather than its official one, even when Riot itself is involved.

Schwaggz

04-17-2012

People hate dominion because they think farming is more important than knowing how to play a champ. Some mouthbreathers just farm creeps all day in SR and do well, so they never improve, and suck horribly at dom. Dominion tests how well you know positioning and team fighting strategies through-out the course of the game as opposed to the last 10 minutes of Summoner's Rift.

Basically, if anyone doesn't like Dominion, it's because they only know how to kill NPC's.

Remember that Ashe you had last game with 400 cs, but went 0-11-3 due to not communicating and face-checking bushes? That guy hates dominion, and as long as he can "win" killing creeps in SR, he will be content with his performance.

That said, idiots who go 2-0-0 top and get devastated in CS are just as bad.

Also, no ranked.