[Suggestion] Appear Offline

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBahamut View Post
At the same time, we also want to be sure that adding the ability to appear offline won't harm the community in any way (For a fun mental trip, think of what it'd be like if everybody was using offline mode )

Sorry if this post doesn't have the affirmations you were looking for, but I assure you that this request hasn't been lost on us. Thank you for being patient.
This is stupid, offline mode only make you look Offline, not preventing you from going into games or receiving personal messages, there is no drawback of appearing offline to others, beside, if everyone is playing while in offline mode all that's happening is that they are not in arranged teams, but the regular solo queque would be unaffected.

RiotBahamut

Associate Software Engineer

01-20-2012
4 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulking View Post
This is stupid, offline mode only make you look Offline, not preventing you from going into games or receiving personal messages, there is no drawback of appearing offline to others, beside, if everyone is playing while in offline mode all that's happening is that they are not in arranged teams, but the regular solo queque would be unaffected.
You're correct that it won't affect joining queues, receiving messages, etc., but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. My example, while silly, was talking about a scenario where the online section of your buddy list trends toward nothingness because everybody likes appearing offline. While it is incredibly unlikely it would happen, it brings up the point that we need to think about WHY people want to appear offline and to create targeted solutions to these problems before we just have everybody disappearing (for lack of better phrasing).

I don't mean to give the impression that I'm personally against having an offline mode (I'm not against it, FYI ). I just meant to illustrate that there's a few problems and concerns here that are best addressed simultaneously.

Cidib

01-21-2012

Definitely /sign
It's a wonderful feature. kinda falls under the "common sense" thing. I mean, it's no new concept and has been around in other chat or social network platforms for ages it seems.

FireFinal

01-23-2012

Quote:
You're correct that it won't affect joining queues, receiving messages, etc., but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. My example, while silly, was talking about a scenario where the online section of your buddy list trends toward nothingness because everybody likes appearing offline. While it is incredibly unlikely it would happen, it brings up the point that we need to think about WHY people want to appear offline and to create targeted solutions to these problems before we just have everybody disappearing (for lack of better phrasing).

I don't mean to give the impression that I'm personally against having an offline mode (I'm not against it, FYI ). I just meant to illustrate that there's a few problems and concerns here that are best addressed simultaneously.
Well yes, that is the worst scenario that could happen, but it really won't come to that. Everyone will have these days where they just feel anti-social and just want to be left alone and play their game. IF everyone would do that all the time yes, then it would be a problem, but that's another story.

I really don't see any problem what excactly an 'Appear Offline mode', could possibly cause other than that. Look at MSN for example, it's basically the same thing as that. You sometimes want to appear offline, except maybe for your best friend or you had a fight etc., then that offline mode could come in handy.

RiotBahamut

Associate Software Engineer

01-23-2012
5 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFinal View Post
Well yes, that is the worst scenario that could happen, but it really won't come to that. Everyone will have these days where they just feel anti-social and just want to be left alone and play their game. IF everyone would do that all the time yes, then it would be a problem, but that's another story.

I really don't see any problem what excactly an 'Appear Offline mode', could possibly cause other than that. Look at MSN for example, it's basically the same thing as that. You sometimes want to appear offline, except maybe for your best friend or you had a fight etc., then that offline mode could come in handy.
+1 ... I agree with this and personally don't think it'd be an issue either. It just wouldn't be ideal for people to be "forced" to appear offline because something else (like invites/notifications) is giving them a bad experience, which seems to be a frequent reason for requesting it. That's why we should have a couple more things on top of appear offline mode.

I guess my previous posts may have sounded like reasons we wouldn't want it, but I didn't intend for them to be. There are some implications to appearing offline (due to PVP.net being directly tied to a game and a specific community) that otherwise wouldn't be present in other chat clients that support it. Those things should be taken in to account.

That's why I've been poking lots of people about it lately

Zimmerbadger

01-23-2012

/sign

Akai Tsuki

01-23-2012

Quote:
+1 ... I agree with this and personally don't think it'd be an issue either. It just wouldn't be ideal for people to be "forced" to appear offline because something else (like invites/notifications) is giving them a bad experience, which seems to be a frequent reason for requesting it. That's why we should have a couple more things on top of appear offline mode.

I guess my previous posts may have sounded like reasons we wouldn't want it, but I didn't intend for them to be. There are some implications to appearing offline (due to PVP.net being directly tied to a game and a specific community) that otherwise wouldn't be present in other chat clients that support it. Those things should be taken in to account.

That's why I've been poking lots of people about it lately
That's what a 'busy' status could do. Block incoming invites and block friend requests until your next log in or status change to online. PMs don't give you a notification.

Online - As currently
Busy - Block incoming notifications
Appear Offline - Busy but with not appearing online in friends list. People you message can see your online status until you close their chat dialog and they can talk to you.
Offline - Complety invisible and unable to start chats. Probably unneeded next to appear offline, though.

cH4n

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-24-2012

maybe its a bit late... anyway

/sign

TwinTurtles

01-26-2012

/sign

Tenshiakake

02-04-2012

/sign