Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mahgnificent

Senior Member

04-17-2012

I don't see how people can play a full game with the camera locked. I consider myself a"locked camera" player, but that's because that's the way my brain functions. I want my game centered around my champ when hell breaks loose. But during the laning phase I play unlocked. When I'm jungling I'm dragging the camera with the map. I can manage the camera when I'm not doing things but when a team fight starts I press the spacebar so my brain knows what I need to aim and focus. If I'm a ranged champ I will sometimes unlock the camera for like the first spell or AA but after that I lock back in.

I play champs like LB who have jumps and other things that you think might mess with me because I play locked but it doesn't effect me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kai Talakki

Member

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Link View Post
Adjust the Jungle so it is a perfect Mirror. Both blue buffs are in the top, both reds are in the bottom, etc.
You would never be able to have a perfect mirror because of Baron and Dragon..
If you had both of those on bottom facing each other, it has a high potential to create a lot of chaos.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keyra

Member

04-17-2012

What about a locked camera that's half locked and half free? Like when your mouse in on the border of the screen trying to extend the view the camera will move to that side but your vision wont move to a point where your champ is not in vision. I don't know if this makes sense but basically, your camera is locked, but when you try to extend your view the camera So your champ is the focal point, when you want to see more to the right, you lose vision on your left but you don't lose so much that your champion is out of view and vice versa. Sorry if this is kind of confusing but basically your champ is your focal point and you can never lose site of him / her ...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SAI Peregrinus

Senior Member

04-17-2012

Another idea, that I've not seen. It may or may not be simple to implement, but would solve several problems.

Instead of having the camera locked with the champ in the center of the screen, allow it to lock with the champ at the top, center, and bottom of the screen. Allow a key to toggle through lock positions.

With that, you can lock the camera at the position you like most, based on which side you are on. Both teams can make use of it, eg a blue player can go from stealing purple's blue-buff to dragon and not be at a disadvantage, and then swap view so they can go from their blue up to baron and still not be at a disadvantage.

Of course, there's still a disadvantage to playing locked over unlocked (your champ is always on screen, very bad for Ez/Ashe/Lux/etc ults), but it would be greatly reduced.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tash456

Senior Member

04-17-2012

all im getting from this entire thread is that there basically wont be any changes made to the locked camera perspective -.- i hardly see why you have it in the game then if your on the purple side and take away most of the map from them give everyone an option to change the HUD to the top of their screen instead of the bottom. it would be an easy fix just like the color blind mode you have ( which i use ALL the time and i love using it btw).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Atheist NA

Senior Member

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tash456 View Post
all im getting from this entire thread is that there basically wont be any changes made to the locked camera perspective -.- i hardly see why you have it in the game then if your on the purple side and take away most of the map from them give everyone an option to change the HUD to the top of their screen instead of the bottom. it would be an easy fix just like the color blind mode you have ( which i use ALL the time and i love using it btw).
I initially thought that, but lets see if they can fix the "LockedCamera=1" bug, recollect locked camera usage data, and go from there. Colorblind people make up roughly 9-10% of the playerbase and Riot went through alot of trouble to help them out, so I'm confident once they see the real statistics on locked camera usage that they'll do something about it.

Then we party! All purple side!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Atheist NA

Senior Member

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI Peregrinus View Post
Another idea, that I've not seen. It may or may not be simple to implement, but would solve several problems.

Instead of having the camera locked with the champ in the center of the screen, allow it to lock with the champ at the top, center, and bottom of the screen. Allow a key to toggle through lock positions.
I love the idea. +1


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FriendlyRaid

Senior Member

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I don't think changes to camera angle or FOV are likely to pass muster either, we limit zoom out and control the view angle so players with the money to buy larger monitors/faster video cards/higher resolution don't have an advantage.
I'm sorry, but your argument doesn't make any sense.

You're saying we not allowed to zoom out more because it would be unfair to people with small monitors, because people with bigger monitors and better video cards would be able to see more? This makes no sense whatsoever. You can click anywhere on the map and see it instantly. The only way this would be true is if everyone was forced to use a locked camera, then with a larger monitor you would literally be seeing more of the field.

I mean if this is your argument, then why not limit everyone to 800x600? It's only fair. Or, why not figure out who has the lowest frames per second in a game and make everyone play at that FPS? I mean if Billy is only getting 5 FPS, then everyone who is getting a higher FPS than Billy, is basically cheating Billy.

Everyone wants to be able to zoom out more, the program seems to be able to accommodate that customer request. Your reason for not giving it to us isn't very good.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Atheist NA

Senior Member

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyRaid View Post
Everyone wants to be able to zoom out more, the program seems to be able to accommodate that customer request. Your reason for not giving it to us isn't very good.
One possible reason is that Riot doesn't want to ruin the feeling of "immersion" when playing a game. The further you zoom out, the less you can see the champions' detail. I remember playing the old Tecmo Superbowl game for the original Nintendo, and putting it on blimp mode for the camera style lol.. it was just little dots moving around on the field. But I do agree, I always feel like I'm way too close to my champion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cute Riolu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

04-19-2012

@Boourns: Have you thought about enabling a UI flip instead of a map flip? Allow the "top" portion of the UI to go on the bottom, and vice versa, with the press of a button.