Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Erters

02-22-2013

All i can say was that I started out with a locked camera as a noob in bots, but i found that working with an unlocked cam was much more advantageous for map awareness and sight in all ways tbh. The only advice I coud give to players is to just practice without it. Get used to not bringing your skillshot out all the way to the edge of the screen. Practice make sperfect, and if you really try to get used to it, it'll only take 2-4 weeks. That's what it took me =)

Plato83

02-25-2013

Just played a game as purple. Most of the time was unlocked, as usual. Still hate it. Recommended LoL to at least 5 people. 4 of 5 hate unlocked. Wont play pvp with me. I wont be recommending league to any more friends until we get an answer that this is being addressed. In fact, I will be actively telling people how frustrating it is when I talk about league and how condescending Riot has been about the issue, because it isn't a revenue stream.

tsukiko313

02-26-2013

i had posted a new thread before finding this one, and here's the link to it: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3168580

now, i'll admit i have not gone through all 60 pages of posts on here, so if i repeat something that's already been mentioned, i apologize. but after reading a seemingly endless page or two of posts i have a couple of suggestions.

first of all, i am in the apparent minority of locked-camera users. i am also, admittedly, pretty new to LoL (i've been playing for less than 3 months). one of the reasons i tend to dislike the unlocked camera mode (as i mentioned in my linked post above) is that as a support player, i tend to use the teammate portraits along the left side of the screen in order to avoid casting heals with insanely long cooldowns on minions rather than the teammate they were intended for. however, when the camera is unlocked moving one's mouse to the portraits shifts one's entire screen away from the area one is trying to concentrate on. (also, and maybe this is just me, but i can't seem to cast while the spacebar is held down, in order to avoid said shifting of the screen.)

another reason i avoid the unlocked camera mode is that unless i'm using the minimap to direct the camera (which can be done much more easily with the camera controls locked, i might add) it is very difficult to control. in the aforementioned scenario (playing support in bot lane, edging the mouse toward the portraits to cast a spell on a teammate) a process which takes a fraction of a second with the camera locked, moves my screen all the way back to the blue base. maybe i'm just not quick enough(?) but it seems like the camera moves awfully fast out of position, and getting it back into position, if you don't necessarily want it centered is much trickier.

someone, somewhere in this post had mentioned having the option to lock the camera into one's current screen position (not necessarily "centered") thus having more control over what one is seeing in locked camera mode. personally, i think this is a brilliant idea and one which would require relatively little effort to put in effect.

in regard to the blue-side purple-side gap, which i personally find extremely bothersome, i have 2 relatively simple solutions to suggest. the first and simplest: give players the option of moving the health/mana/ability section of the HUD to the top of the screen when playing on the purple side ... actually, i should rephrase that: give players the option to move that section of the HUD. period. it will probably be used most by players on the purple side, but to be fair, everyone should have the option. there is already an option which lets players switch the position of the minimap from one side of the screen to the other, so applying that top to bottom shouldn't be all that difficult.
second option, less simple, but still not so complicated as to be unreasonable: switch the camera angles (i'm not talking about mirroring the map, i might add). when on the blue side of the map, the camera seems to be positioned (more or less) from the angle of the base, facing toward the river. keeping to this strategy, the purple team should be the same: having the camera angled from their base facing toward the river. this would enable players on both sides to have the same vantage point, thus eliminating the the advantage blue side gains by being able to see more of what's in "front" of them than the purple side gets to see.

and as a closing note, since i've seen the subject of colorblindness come up in here often enough, as a reason why the camera issues are not being addressed ... K.I.S.S. why not keep it extremely simple, and if a player checks off a box in the options section marked "colorblind" instead of having blue and purple teams, which are highlighted in red and green (enemy and teammate, respectively) why not have them highlighted in stark black and white instead? true, that won't fix every last problem related to colorblindness (especially as there are 2 main types (red-green and blue-yellow, if memory serves me right) and therefore accommodating both of them becomes a much more intricate process) but from what i've read about it thus far, it would probably solve the most immediate colorblind issue of discerning friend from foe.

EDIT: also, after doing a bit more thinking ... we use right clicks for almost everything in this game, and left clicks for almost nothing ... what if instead of just moving the mouse toward the edge of the screen in unlock mode, you had to left click while moving the mouse (drag) in the direction you want to move the screen? this would eliminate the issue of the screen moving when you didn't want it to in unlock mode ... also ... what about controlling the camera with, for example, the arrow keys on the keyboard? sometimes it feels like it's difficult to be doing so many different things with the mouse at the same time (ie move, attack, control camera) it makes it almost impossible to do them all simultaneously, or even reasonably close together ...

2nd EDIT: (and now - 7 hours after original post - i HAVE read all 60 pages of comments and/or suggestions and have not as yet even logged in to actually play at all today) i still believe that all of my original suggestions are viable, and personally, while it is admittedly just a "band-aid" i would be perfectly happy (and i'm sure there are other users who would agree that if nothing else, it would at least constitute a show of good faith) to see the option to flip the skill/ability section of the HUD to the top of the screen. it would not entirely solve the problem, true, but it would make life bottom laning as purple team a lot easier.
other viable options regarding that particular section of the HUD: make it minimizable - it would automatically pop back up when it was time to choose a skill to level, or when you clicked on a *small* tab that poked out from the bottom of the screen. (i'm talking no more than 1/4" tall, by maybe 1/2" long). i understand that it can currently be scaled down, but this honestly is not even as good as a "band aid" as far as solutions go. yes, you have improved vision of what's in front of you when bot-laning on purple side, but improved is still not CLEAR, plus, it makes it much more difficult to click in the correct place to level up skills & abilities, especially when using a smaller screen (ie: laptops). ganks are no less visible on the minimap than they are if you can see the brush above you, especially since you can't zoom out enough to see them early game anyway, so it really doesn't make THAT much difference to have that section of the HUD moved to the top of the screen, except that the enemies you're trying to attack while dodging their attacks become more visible. but if you really think that moving that section to the top of the screen is going to be worse, then why not make it fully customizable? you can click and drag any section of the HUD to any spot you want it, thus creating/eliminating your own obstacles?
also viable: transparent HUD - this doesn't necessarily eliminate the fact that it's in the way, but it would at least allow you to see what enemies are "hiding" under it.
as far as improving the camera options go ... one of the most annoying things about unlocking the camera, is having the screen shift when you DON'T want it to, like when running away or trying to aim a skill shot. what if there was an indicator line, like a frame outlined on the screen that showed the exact border of where it was safe to click without moving the screen as opposed to where your mouse needs to go to move it?

Plato83

02-27-2013

Only a "free" pay-to-play game would have people spend 5x or more on their game compared to a AAA day one release title and still ignore a basic issue that their paying playerbase requests.

No lie, I'm getting pretty pissed there isn't any recent feedback on this or acknowledgement that this is a major issue for at least *some* of Riot's paying customers.

D4rK Dem0n

02-27-2013

here are my two cents on the issue. i think that riot needs to introduce either 360 degrees camera view; you can view the game from whatever angle you want, if not then a 2nd camera angle that looks at the game from top to bottom (current camera mode is viewed as bottom to top).

as i see it, the only thing that really degrades the gaming experience for me as a locked camera player is when i have to play as purple team. pushing top lane or early game bot game is absolutely horrible because the HUD gets in the way and its generally harder maneuvering the champion as the purple team. a 2nd camera angle you fix all that because then essentially you could view the purple as the "bottom" of your camera view and blue as the "top". IMO this is the one main disadvantage locked camera players have over free cam users, but it would be eliminated with the introduction of a new camera angle.

i personally don't like unlocked camera. for me, it complicates things more. as a locked camera player, i select a position where i want my champ to move, and then my champ is tracked all the way and meanwhile i click&drag the mini-map to wherever i want to see.

it also simplifies things when i'm using skill shots. my perception is that your skill shot if being fired from one point; the center of your screen, and your target is a moving target. in free cam mode, this changes b/c now you're dealing with 2 moving separate movements. you yourself, and the target you're trying to hit. and it becomes a whole lot complicated to see predict where to aim in order to land the hit.

one last thing. the default scroll speed of free cam needs to be re-adjusted to a much slower pace. i think that's probably one of the biggest turn offs for the people new to free cam; the camera scrolls really fast so if you touch the edge of just ever so slightly you end up loosing the center of the battle completely. i think this makes the people new to free cam very uncomfortable in using the free cam because even though you can adjust the scroll speed (i'm assuming?), why bother figuring all that out when you can use the locked camera and play just as good if not better

Rogue Winter

03-01-2013

Bump for justice. I just had to play against a Teemo IN THE MID lane on PURPLE TEAM ask a Skillshot character.

RIOT PLS

Plato83

03-03-2013

played 3 pvp matches today - won 2/3. all 3 games on blue. so much better than my winrate as purple.

"RIOT PLS"

Darchie

03-06-2013

Don't know if this has been brought up or not but my suggestion is to create a custom locking option that effects only the vertical axis or be able to zoom out farther. I think this is the most effective way to resolve the feel of having a uneven advantage for new players who use the locked camera in pvp matches.

Also I suggesting adding these other great suggestions that people have offered not as a default option but as something you can choose to select. Feedback from players trying these ideas would give you an overall general idea as to figuring out a desired method that everyone most people can agree upon for a the camera view.

Plato83

03-07-2013

Riot Games:
largest prize in esports history
founded to be "player-focused"
valued at somewhere right under half a billion dollars
can't / won't implement an easy UI feature
-yay 2013 !

tsukiko313

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato83 View Post
Riot Games:
largest prize in esports history
founded to be "player-focused"
valued at somewhere right under half a billion dollars
can't / won't implement an easy UI feature
-yay 2013 !
or enough NA servers to accommodate usage - particularly in light of the recent mac client. i've been booted/dc'd/etc more since the ifriendly version of LoL was introduced than i have collectively ever before.