Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Helenid

12-13-2012

I can't play with unlocked. The side of the screen is just too sensitive. Simple solution would be a click-hold-drag feature for the scroll button on the mouse.

AngelofTaint

12-16-2012

Originally Posted by sanjio (in response to 19)
people can & would adapt. Mirrored camera view for purple team would actually solve alot of problems & make many many people very happy. The way it is currently in lol & every other moba is so prehistoric man. The 3/4 angle of the terrain makes sense playing from blue team but not from purple..its very uncomfortable & unnatural.

Also you make it sound like people would be so confused if purple team had the same viewpoint as blue. Communication? Seriously? Thats just a cop out. Its pretty simple really...players would still refer to mid lane as mid lane but now instead of top/bot lane they'd likely be called baron side/lane & dragon side/lane. Of course i know this thread isn't really about mirrored camera views but i noticed it mentioned here so i figured i'd give my two cents.

Edit: Now if riot is truly "interested & listening" how about some feedback for the camera change petition http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1239123
communication is just one reason why i don't consider it a good solution. I list some other ones in the same reply that you quoted.

Having seen the stats on locked camera usage it's a very small number of people. I would not consider impeding communication or making our *entire* community change how they refer to things in the game a good fix for this issue.

I'll only be posting in this thread to keep information about this topic centralized in one place. I read the other threads, but i haven't seen any new information to comment on in them that i haven't addressed in this thread.

If someone were to make a new thread compiling everything i've posted here, i would be very grateful! :d <hint> <hint>

End Quote

Wooooooah woah. wait.... what. why.

Entire community? You are saying Yourself that this effects a small number of people... Then only make the fix effect a small number of people. Give a Video option that changes the angle of the map. so we are not changing up and down, but we are changing left and right. Example. right now on blue you can see barons face. A Video OPTION that people would not be forced to choose could be that we see barons back instead while playing purple. If we cannot change the Camera why not have an option to change the look of the map.

Honestly if the game was made this way, it seems like it was made to be played blue to purple. Compare this to Guardians of Middle Earth which just came out for consoles. it plays like Dominion. (let me remind you that no one is complaining about the angle on Dominion or Twisted Treeline that I've seen) You can see each way with out issue.

And if its too hard to due this, simple thing then why have a locked camera at all? You say we will keep the camera lock option no matter what, but claim that only those who play unlocked matter. (don't mess around we get that you only worry about the professional level of play.) So if locked cam means we need experience with unlocked (despite that blue has no real reason to play unlocked.) and if we play unlocked we are taking time away from PLAYING the game. then why was this done in the first place?

Honestly I started playing last year and I enjoy the game quite a bit. However this has got me at every turn. Purple teams carry did worse during NORMAL match up. and they end up losing alot of ground for it. the only games I've lost as blue are the ones where top/mid/blue carry simply should have been playing beginner bots and needed to stop feeding. (8 deaths to the enemy tank/support is not normal) Again playing NORMAL games the Purple team carry almost always loses (and its me as much as anyone else)

This isn't a blame game, I'm not perfect, but all it takes is one Ezreal combo blown while attacking and everything goes to hell. Its sad when its blown due to having to play with the camera. Especially when your opponent has no such difficulty.

Obviously ranked players don't have this issue, and same with the Professionals. But they are fighting more intelligent and crafty opponents. They are not playing against a bunch of Normal mode kids still learning all the characters, Learning how to do Smart casting and all these other things. So yes it does not hurt your core, your draw, but the people that make fan fiction, submit pics of Teemo Gingerbread... Those people it hurts.

We just want to have fun =\

Qsario

12-16-2012

It occurs to me that one major annoyance for purple team could be fixed by allowing people to change their HUD, so that the skills/hp/mana go on the right side of the screen instead of the bottom.

AngelofTaint

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post
It occurs to me that one major annoyance for purple team could be fixed by allowing people to change their HUD, so that the skills/hp/mana go on the right side of the screen instead of the bottom.
People have said the same thing with putting abilitys/map/stuff at the top

honestly, Its just weird the the game was made this way. the map cannot have its camera angle reversed due to its design, I hear that over and over. Soo whats stopping an eventual redesign? cuz honestly some of these posts about this are years old....

Zosoled

12-18-2012

I do not have the time to read 57 pages of posts, so I don't know if this has already been suggested:

How about a 3rd-person behind-the-character camera view option, kind of RPG style, allowing the map to rotate under the player? Technically difficult, I'm sure, and probably hard to perfect for actual gameplay what with the extreme mobility and fast-paced nature of LoL....but I think it would be worth trying.

Arcolyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

can we get more options for controlling the camera in unlocked? The edge of screen is clunky, I like in SC where mouse clicking drags it, instead of this funky horrible joystick like maneuver... I can imagine some times it would be useful the way it is now, but for me it is extraordinarily hard to control, and the screen edges are 'finicky,' to say the least.

pchannington

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

I have a few things to say on this topic. I don't know if people will still read this, or if it matters, but I feel like sharing my opinion anyway.

First off, I play with locked camera. When I started playing this game, the first thing I did was play the training mode, and locked camera is the default option in that mode. This definitely, and very heavily I might add, influenced my decision.

I have played other RTSs before, like Age of Empires and Warcraft III, where the camera is not locked and had no problems. Yet, I feel more comfortable playing on locked because that is how I learned to play THIS game. I have tried to learn unlocked for this game in the past, and it just feels odd to me in this game. We all must be creatures of habit, I guess.

I do not feel it hinders my gameplay too greatly as I play mainly bruisers. Whenever need to focus on action that is happening outside of my field of vision, I hit hotkey 'Y' (Toggle on/off camera lock) and drag the mini-map. Unfortunately, I know that because I play in this mode, there are certain champions that I may not be able to become proficient with.

I do have suggestions, if anyone is interested. First idea, remove locked as the default, especially in training mode. Second idea, add in a battle training that specifically focuses on camera management, like a mini-game wherein common situations for moving the camera great distances occur. Third idea, in the 'other options' tap in the settings, maybe there could be a 'tethered camera' or 'yo-yo camera' option. My idea of this third option would be, the camera is locked for the most part, but if you move your cursor to the edge of the screen, but only for a set duration before moving back its original positioning.

Any thoughts?

boourns

UI Designer

01-08-2013
76 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchannington View Post
I have a few things to say on this topic. I don't know if people will still read this, or if it matters, but I feel like sharing my opinion anyway.

First off, I play with locked camera. When I started playing this game, the first thing I did was play the training mode, and locked camera is the default option in that mode. This definitely, and very heavily I might add, influenced my decision.

I have played other RTSs before, like Age of Empires and Warcraft III, where the camera is not locked and had no problems. Yet, I feel more comfortable playing on locked because that is how I learned to play THIS game. I have tried to learn unlocked for this game in the past, and it just feels odd to me in this game. We all must be creatures of habit, I guess.

I do not feel it hinders my gameplay too greatly as I play mainly bruisers. Whenever need to focus on action that is happening outside of my field of vision, I hit hotkey 'Y' (Toggle on/off camera lock) and drag the mini-map. Unfortunately, I know that because I play in this mode, there are certain champions that I may not be able to become proficient with.

I do have suggestions, if anyone is interested. First idea, remove locked as the default, especially in training mode. Second idea, add in a battle training that specifically focuses on camera management, like a mini-game wherein common situations for moving the camera great distances occur. Third idea, in the 'other options' tap in the settings, maybe there could be a 'tethered camera' or 'yo-yo camera' option. My idea of this third option would be, the camera is locked for the most part, but if you move your cursor to the edge of the screen, but only for a set duration before moving back its original positioning.

Any thoughts?
I think there's a lot of room to improve our tutorial experience. It's something many of us here are eager to see us tackle.

Vialley

01-08-2013

Riot is just close minded bigots

hotfire

01-09-2013

hey boo man you seem to be putting a lot of thought into this ty ty. I wanna just point at something as an idea, you ever played with the bloodline champions form of locked camera? it moves with the cursor. Its a free game check it out.
I wasnt really a fan at first, but both my buddies who played it were all about it.

Now that I think about it, that game has player movement with keys and abilities all with mouse. Might not correlate very well but if toned down to maybe 2/3 what it is, I think it would help locked screeners a lot.

tldr. basically if you move the cursor to the left side of the screen, the view slides over that way a bit. Bring cursor back to center, view recenters. Moves center of screen towards the cursor a bit so you can always see what you're aiming at. but not permanently.