Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Be Coo Jak

12-08-2012

Can you please just give the ADC and Support for both teams an incentive to go top lane. A new jungle camp, a different type of minion wave (more ranged)....anything. Please. :{
I believe top champs would be able to do just as well in bottom lane as they do now in top but if nothing else works just make the map less rounded and more straight.
Thanks for your time, thought, and any consideration that might come from this post.
Sincerely,
An Eternally Cursed Locked-Camera Support

Be Coo Jak

12-08-2012

Another idea is to have pre-made set positions that the camera can lock into...so when you are farming in bottom lane for the purple team and the blue team is zoning you into your turret, you can just press the arrow keys (or scroll wheel) to cycle through a few of the closest camera views that would give fair and equal vision to you that the members of the blue team have. This would be in locked-camera mode and as soon as you are done with that specific view you could snap back to the locked view on your character with the space bar.

Hekiryuu

Senior Recruiter

12-10-2012

I hate when my camera always defaults to unlocked. I unlock it briefly, pan around, then go back, but with it unlocked its too easy to lose track of my champion. Why we cant just zoom out a bit more makes no sense to me (seriously, its kinda asinine that I have a champ that can use a skill that isn't mini map targetable, but can't see full range of his skill when zoomed out).... but more so, if we could at least set where the default "locked" position was compared to our character, it would be a huge QOL upgrade. it hurts absolutely nothing for them to add one or both of these features, gives no advantage to anyone, but it would make some people able to play better, and thus able to have more fun.

The big question is, how many man hours would it cost riot to do either of these options, compared to the QOL improvements that are to be gained for some lower skilled but dedicated fans.

Gumperino

12-10-2012

I'm at a disadvantage playing on top with a locked camera. Change it please.

Garblax III

12-11-2012

I personally have a lot of trouble playing unlocked, I just find it too much to do all at once. My solution would be to make the control of the free-camera not require you to bring the cursor all the way to the edge of the screen. I'm thinking some kind of grab and throw method like you get in google maps. You could have it on mouse button three so you could move the view in a jiffy. If the movement of the view was faster and easier free-cam would be completely natural. The question would be whether to have you "grab" the ground and throw like in google, which to my mind would feel very natural, or if you would have it work like out-of-game mouse button three scrolling where the cam chases your cursor, this would be more difficult but your cursor would end up towards where you've moved the camera, certainly an aid for skillshots.

King Kel

12-12-2012

may i suggest games vs. bots to take place on both sides?

the camera angle/locking-issue would remain as it is, but it would be much better training for pvp.

Chillin

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Yes, we would like to make your champion more visible in the chaos of a team fight! That's a different discussion though. Also... your mouse cursor
Any news about this?
I always thought there should be a thick white outline around our champion and mouse icon.

Space bar toggling camera lock is a pretty cool idea in keybindings, unless its already there then i need to recheck..

first time Vayne

12-13-2012

Another complaint about the "Purple Side Bias" was posted today, so I'm bumping this. It honestly needs to stay at the top of the front page. Help me out.

first time Vayne

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Coo Jak View Post
Can you please just give the ADC and Support for both teams an incentive to go top lane. A new jungle camp, a different type of minion wave (more ranged)....anything. Please. :{
I believe top champs would be able to do just as well in bottom lane as they do now in top but if nothing else works just make the map less rounded and more straight.
Thanks for your time, thought, and any consideration that might come from this post.
Sincerely,
An Eternally Cursed Locked-Camera Support
Flipping Dragon and Baron would do this.

FlippantFox

12-13-2012

IMO, unlocked camera has (and will always have) too many advantages over a camera which is fixed to view a single point in space. The ability to quickly refocus your whole view onto a point of interest is very important.

Now I've seen all of these posts here mentioning that the camera should be able to have its focal point shifted while still remaining locked. Most of these suggest using the arrow keys for such.

I have a slightly different idea here - make the camera track your mouse cursor instead of your champion, but smoothly and with a maximum allowable distance from your champion.

Fo example, if you aim your mouse south of your champion (i.e. in a purple mid lane), your view will remain biased in that direction. However, the maximum allowable distance will prevent your champion from moving off-screen entirely (mini-map clicks would disable this maximum distance). Also, the further away the camera is from where your mouse is pointed, the faster it will move.

Put more simply, the game would automatically position the camera in the same way your average unlocked-camera user does, based off the position of your mouse.

This would have a couple of major advantages: 1) it would be fast and intuitive to use, and 2) it would automatically be focused toward the business end of your skillshots.

Some potential disadvantages though: 1) it could potentially be tricky to aim skillshots, particularly at close range, thanks to a cyclical aiming scenario if your camera isn't already out at max distance, 2) it could introduce an interesting "blind-spot" mechanic wherein an enemy knows that, if you are focusing someone else, there is a good chance they can approach unnoticed from behind, 3) trying to juke skillshots while aiming in lane might make you motion-sick (ha), plus short-range movement clicks would keep the camera focused on your champion, making it difficult to dodge things out of view.

However, I would also offer excuses/solutions for these issues: 1) Aiming skillshots shouldn't be any more tricky than regular locked camera, but if it is, an option to disable the camera's smoothing motion could be used whenever a skill is activated, 2) the camera repositions faster and more often than the normal unlocked version, which theoretically has the same disadvantage, and 3) which is to my mind the biggest problem, but should be mitigated substantially by the camera smoothing. The smoothing would need an adjustment setting in the options too.

Still... I think a rubber-banding lock would be better than the current hard-lock.