Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

11-30-2012
74 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Sorry, must have missed some posts (there sure are a lot of them!).

However I feel that my first point hasn't really been discussed much - i.e. an option where the camera is like the current unlocked camera except for when your champ is moving towards the edge of the screen, then it follows your champ to keep them in the central area of the screen. An option along these lines would avoid having moving targets when you move yourself, and thus lower the potential for mistakes in tense moments of the match. In the OP you quoted a discussion on focusing the camera on the center of mass of champs, although I think that option would cause some wiggling of the camera and sometimes may change on the player during intense moments.

Anyway, I thought I'd put my 2 cents in. Rioters are pretty good at what they do so I'm sure you'll come up with something, just trying to give you some ideas. Feel free to ignore if you don't think the idea has any merit.
Thanks for adding more detail. This is an interesting idea because it doesn't require user intervention. However I think as described it has some problems. To me it feels like it will move the camera in the opposite direction you might desire!

Consider walking up to harass a champion:
* With locked camera you will see the same amount in the direction you're walking (and are interested in!)
* With your scheme you camera would be static and you would walk up to harass, but not see more of the interesting area (around your target)

So actually, I think you might want something similar, but which moves the camera in the opposite way so that it moves the camera in the direction you're walking. This is more complicated than what you propose though, it would require a lot of logic to make sure it doesn't feel jerky and bad as you're micro-ing in lane.

boourns

UI Designer

11-30-2012
75 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenevolenTT View Post
So here's my proposal, which I discussed with many locked camera users and it seems to be a very viable fix.

The issue with offsetting the locked camera is that you'll end up losing precious vision behind your champion. And toggling and messing with that kind of feature may prove more cumbersome than any other alternative.

What I've been gathering is that if we have a locked camera feature more closely related to the locked "action" camera used in spectator mode, it will solve many problems locked players have been experiencing.

For example, during the laning phase a locked player nearing a wave of minions will have their camera slightly center onto the minions and prioritize them. If an enemy champion were to be heading for the gank then the camera will center and prioritize the invader. A locked camera that keeps the champion on the screen at all times but, with a tether like feeling, have the camera shift focus when contextually needed.

As always, player control of the camera is a must, and the final addition to this locked camera would be to also prioritize the mouse over everything else. If you're attempting to look behind you or you need the camera to slightly move over to view the edge of the Fog of War, then simply moving the mouse should also slightly pull the camera away to a certain extent. That way we will still be able to freely look around the immediate area.

I hope that was clear. Let me know what you think.
Definitely, that was something that I considered as well when Spectator made directed camera. If it was good enough it could be almost "ideal". However directed camera does rely on data "from the future" (i.e. during the 3 min spectator delay) to help it decide what's interesting to look at.

One of the primary issues, though, it gameplay related. When I say "ideal" I mean: the camera would always look at the most important thing around you. However: how much do we want handhold the player's view? I mean, the directed camera would likely pan your camera to identify and incoming jungler coming for a gank. Do we want that? Free camera and locked camera players don't have that advantage right now. Is this an inadvertent nerf to junglers or mid champions? Or even worse is it a specific nerf to ganks from champions who don't have ranged gap closers?

Zileas has posted in the past that our restricted view is a deliberate design decision to force player choice on what they look at. Using directed camera would change the balance of this.

Anyways, that is the core issue to overcome with this approach because the player is no longer intentionally controlling the camera, but we're not locking it to the player either.

Cha0sniper

11-30-2012

What about the way Bloodline Champions does its unlocked camera, where it's tethered to your character but moving the mouse towards the edge of the screen shifts the camera towards that point? That seems to strike a nice balance between not showing the player information they might not otherwise have, and still allowing a larger field of view for those people who aren't comfortable with the full unlocked camera.

DISCLAIMER: I do not use the locked camera as I've been playing RTS since Red Alert 1, so I'm comfortable with unlocked.

Bu Gao Xing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

11-30-2012

For the longest time I wasn't using locked camera, but I had the terrible habit of just holding the space bar (which is basically the same thing). I unbound the space bar and only very very rarely do I actually find myself hitting space to quickly look back to champion.. I think the fastest way to wing yourself off the camera lock issue is to just remove the button and force yourself to play without them.. even if it's only against bots for a few days.

Now on to learn shift and alt button presses..

Live Lavish

11-30-2012

change purple side please

ll Courage ll

12-01-2012

I completely disagree with the Unlocked Camera being Forced, Players like me who cannot concentrate because we are using new champions trying them out is just waay too much thinking for me, Isn't it just more fair to ACTUALLY change the camera view to the same as blue one? It is just fair for people like us who do not like to play with Unlocked camera.

Elizabeth IV

12-01-2012

I agree with Kaakshe. Can't quite ever understand why the Purple team would have such a camera angle in the first place. It's like playing one of those games in which you're looking at the character front-to-front and panicking because you see the enemy running behind you but can't see the obstacles in front. I don't know, it just sounded a bit confusing for me, when playing purple my first time, I immediately expect to have the same exact camera angle as the blue team, except that I'd be at the purple spot.

ll Courage ll

12-01-2012

Look at what I found:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1239123

It clearly means that people want the angle to change, So to be honest, The best opinion to me is just change the angle and seriously give us, That like purple team a chance to get a better Angle.

Ethaneus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

bump

DAVdaBRAV

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Definitely, that was something that I considered as well when Spectator made directed camera. If it was good enough it could be almost "ideal". However directed camera does rely on data "from the future" (i.e. during the 3 min spectator delay) to help it decide what's interesting to look at.

One of the primary issues, though, it gameplay related. When I say "ideal" I mean: the camera would always look at the most important thing around you. However: how much do we want handhold the player's view? I mean, the directed camera would likely pan your camera to identify and incoming jungler coming for a gank. Do we want that? Free camera and locked camera players don't have that advantage right now. Is this an inadvertent nerf to junglers or mid champions? Or even worse is it a specific nerf to ganks from champions who don't have ranged gap closers?

Zileas has posted in the past that our restricted view is a deliberate design decision to force player choice on what they look at. Using directed camera would change the balance of this.

Anyways, that is the core issue to overcome with this approach because the player is no longer intentionally controlling the camera, but we're not locking it to the player either.
1) As for information from the future: Who says the camera shift has to be instant? Let the system observe the players Mouse focus over the course of a second or so to start panning in that direction.

You could use a gesture to allow the player to force the focus where they want more quickly. Maybe a small and quick circular motion in the desired area?

2) There are ways to minimize this unfair "foresight" of ganks. You could have the camera take a second to focus as per above, you could design a way for the camera to only detect what the player can see, or you could even design a range around the champion that the center of the camera is bounded by to make it less obvious or intrusive.

-In case of gank may I suggest that slaming the cursor to the opposite side of the screen that it was on be a gesture that recenters the camera to the champion? (I always bind space to target my lane partner or whoever else I think should have priority defensive casting)