Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2012

Say Boourns, I know this isn't exactly locked camera, but it is UI and I don't see you post anywhere else.

Could you make an option to display ALL regen as per second instead of per 5 (talking about on the items, in champ tooltips, baron buff, etc)? Per 5 isn't mentally, off the cuff intuitive and the per 5 makes the items seems more "bulky" than they really are.

Super Explosion

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
... please see the post immediately above yours??? If you look at the OP you will see that it's been discussed extensively.
Heh, poor boourns-- forums are like that.

You should ask Morello to tell you a few horror stories about it.

Although, usually someone else will point out such things, saving the resident Rioter the trouble.

Hawkingbird

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2012

Quote:
... please see the post immediately above yours??? If you look at the OP you will see that it's been discussed extensively.
Sorry, must have missed some posts (there sure are a lot of them!).

However I feel that my first point hasn't really been discussed much - i.e. an option where the camera is like the current unlocked camera except for when your champ is moving towards the edge of the screen, then it follows your champ to keep them in the central area of the screen. An option along these lines would avoid having moving targets when you move yourself, and thus lower the potential for mistakes in tense moments of the match. In the OP you quoted a discussion on focusing the camera on the center of mass of champs, although I think that option would cause some wiggling of the camera and sometimes may change on the player during intense moments.

Anyway, I thought I'd put my 2 cents in. Rioters are pretty good at what they do so I'm sure you'll come up with something, just trying to give you some ideas. Feel free to ignore if you don't think the idea has any merit.

Amariithynar

11-23-2012

Quote:
The zoom has not changed... and zileas has posted in the past on why the zoom level is set at the level it is. There's a link in one of my posts here I believe.
When the view was "normalized" the effective view height was lowered, even if the camera wasn't lowered directly.

DTRawDog

11-23-2012

Personally, i play with a mix of both camera modes. I leave the camera unlocked and press the space bar for certain situations to lock it. For example, i am going to gank bot as maokai so i look at bot lane to see their hp and keep going there(unlocked). The enemy adc is corki, so i come in while i see what is their current position to adapt my ganking strategy. When i can see myself going in while looking at corki, I press space for a second and adjust it moving it down a little bit to see them better. I see corki using his jump and i use my snare while holding space bar so that the camera follows me even if corki flashes while i am in mid air. When i reach my target i release the space bar to move maokai in front of corki and knock him back to my allies without making the locked camera screw up my skillshot. Result: dead corki.

Inokiulus

11-23-2012

@Boourns Forgive me if I'm repeating someone else's idea, but reading through 53 pages of posts is just a bit much. I only read a few. So, anyhow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstriker (in response to 5)
maybe an option that enables the camera to track the mouse cursor? Kind of like alien swam where the camera will kind of extend the direction of the mouse cursor. That way the player can influence the camera a bit but isn't as demanding as moving the cursor to the edge and stuff; maybe it's a happy medium between locked and unlocked? Of course this should only be an option, not mandatory. Just my 2cents.

interesting idea, but alien swarm is a dual stick shooter adapted to mouse controls, i don't think they do much direct targeting of things. I think this could work well if we controlled champion movement with cursor keys primarily and had line targeting for attacks, but moving the view based on your mouse distance from your champion would make exact targeting very difficult i think. Think last hitting minions if your camera view and what was under your cursor was shifting with your mouse moves.

I could see us doing something like this if we ever ported the game to a console (not likely with the publisher agreements you see there though!).
Honestly, this is probably the idea that I've seen that I liked the most. I understand what was said about it being more viable if it was done on a console, but in truth I think this could work quite well without making too much of an impact on the game's controls. It just has to be slightly different then what was originally imagined in order to make sense. So here is what I imagined this may look like as I read the quoted user's post.

Lock the camera on to the cursor instead of the champion keeping the exact same mouse controls that we have had. The mouse/camera movements would be treated as an (X,Y) axis that would continue the camera's motion so long as the cursor continues to move in that direction and reset to 0,0 whenever the cursor is stopped. A great idea to put in to play would be acceleration. The faster the cursor moves the further the camera goes making it easier to move the camera further out without needing a vast amount of space on a desktop. If you use the spacebar (as usual) to recenter on your champ you won't have to worry about losing your yourself (I don't recommend being able to flick your wrist and now your seeing the enemy nexus because I think that is one of the problems that people run into when they unlock free cam for the very fist time).

Believe it or not. I think that this is the best of both worlds. It's easier to control than free camera and it allows you to control the camera, well, freely! As far as skill-shots and the like, say Kog'maw is chasing Renekton for the kill. If the Kog'maw player were to mouse over his target the camera would extend in that direction enough to allow him to fire his ultimate further than he would on locked enabling him to get a better hit (or miss lol). Not only that, the said Kog'maw doesn't need to worry about moving the camera consistently over and over as you do with the current free cam. If you're targeting/last hitting the camera would move in the direction of your target so these wouldn't really be problems in truth.

This actually improves on the free cam aspect as well because camera movements would be automatic (yet controlled). What I mean by that is, since the camera would be on the cursors axis, you could intentionally move the cursor in a full circle around your current view and the camera will swing in a curved motion around the cursors original location allowing for smoother curved views and transitions not currently available in the current quirky UP, UP, LEFT, LEFT, DOWN, ETC. motions that free cam actually provides and once the cursor stops the Axis will reset to 0,0 meaning that this current location is the new "center". And if things get hairy and you need a steady camera, just tap Space and the "locked' feature will toggle on or off again.

This could not only fix the current "locked" cam problem, but it could also provide an alternative for the avid free cam players as well that could probably enhance gameplay.

If that idea was just to complicated, then why not a semi-locked mode where the camera acts as it does in free can with the exception of stopping whenever your champion moves to the edge of your screen. If the player wants to see further they can use the map and once they have done that then the camera will "act" as it does in free cam completely until Space is used to reset to your champs location. Hitting Space would enable the semi lock format once more so that it would stop once the champion is on any of the camera's edges. This idea is a bit simpler and it's a way to help new players get used to a full unlocked camera without being thrown to the wolves so to speak.

Once again this is only an opinion/idea. If I have restated anything that has been stated before, I apologize beforehand.

With all due respect,
Inokiulus

Kikhan

11-23-2012

Bourns any progress to implementing a toggle feature for the Lock/Unlock feature that you stated 6 months or so ago that you would be interested in adding in? I know S3 is using up all resources for these last couple of months. Just curious if this feature was liked and put on the to do list in the future. I certainly do not look for any time frame just curious if this is something that will likely be added some year.

Maugrymm

11-24-2012

@Boourns I'm not a locked screen player, nor do I ever have any trouble on Purple Team (in fact, I think I prefer it xD) but I have spent the past two days reading the entirety of this thread while at work. And I must say, YOU sir are one of the most patient and pleasant people I have ever witnessed.

You have kept your eye on this thread for months now, you have answered every question thrown your way, and you have done it with such a pleasant demeanor. You also have the patience of a saint. I swear I have read the same answers to the same questions more times than I have the ability to count.

So I just popped in here to say: Thank You Boourns. I wish everyone at EVERY gaming company was as committed and worried about the problems of their players as you are. Even a problem that, at first, seemed statistically miniscule. I hope all of the people in this thread realize how much you've gone to bat for THEM specifically, and the issues they are having.

Keep up the great work bud, you are truly an example of why we love Riot, and this game!

BenevolenTT

11-25-2012

So here's my proposal, which I discussed with many locked camera users and it seems to be a very viable fix.

The issue with offsetting the locked camera is that you'll end up losing precious vision behind your champion. And toggling and messing with that kind of feature may prove more cumbersome than any other alternative.

What I've been gathering is that if we have a locked camera feature more closely related to the locked "action" camera used in spectator mode, it will solve many problems locked players have been experiencing.

For example, during the laning phase a locked player nearing a wave of minions will have their camera slightly center onto the minions and prioritize them. If an enemy champion were to be heading for the gank then the camera will center and prioritize the invader. A locked camera that keeps the champion on the screen at all times but, with a tether like feeling, have the camera shift focus when contextually needed.

As always, player control of the camera is a must, and the final addition to this locked camera would be to also prioritize the mouse over everything else. If you're attempting to look behind you or you need the camera to slightly move over to view the edge of the Fog of War, then simply moving the mouse should also slightly pull the camera away to a certain extent. That way we will still be able to freely look around the immediate area.

I hope that was clear. Let me know what you think.

boourns

UI Designer

11-30-2012
73 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
Say Boourns, I know this isn't exactly locked camera, but it is UI and I don't see you post anywhere else.

Could you make an option to display ALL regen as per second instead of per 5 (talking about on the items, in champ tooltips, baron buff, etc)? Per 5 isn't mentally, off the cuff intuitive and the per 5 makes the items seems more "bulky" than they really are.
Per 5 numbers were done to make the regen number integers (i.e. non-decimal) and easier to read.

We had them change that for the regen bars because that made the most sense when the stat is combined with so many aspects that we would never get a whole number anyways. However, Zileas has a strong preference in the items for whole numbers (meaning per 5 stats) and I agree with him that it makes the numbers more sensible and approachable. Especially for comparison purposes.

Also, if you made a new post for this, I would probably have replied. I usually run through all the posts even if it's just looking at the tooltip for a new post to see if I should click through.