Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Replicat0r

11-02-2012

Couple of ideas. Perhaps they were suggested but I'll throw them out anyways.

"Sticky-Unlocked" Works the same as unlocked while moving your mouse cursor on the edges of the screen to move the map, however, once you click on the screen to move your character, the camera moves in the same x-y direction. Essentially, what this does is allow you to reposition the locked camera. When starting at the top of the map , I can use sticky unlocked to have my champion situated at the top right corner of my screen and fix the camera position lower while following his movement.

"Screen Inset" Currently, to move the map I must bring my cursor all the way to the edge of the screen. It would be helpful if one could inset/shrink the map moving edge function by 10/20/30% etc.
Taking it a step further, once your cursor touches this inset box, the camera moves at half speed, and bringing your cursor closer and closer to the edge moves it faster and faster.

Thanks

Ah Keel U

11-04-2012

I have 2 solutions that will fix everything for those of us who like the locked camera.

#1: LET US ZOOM OUT MORE FFS!!!! Half of the games skill shots will go beyond the screen. if we could just zoom out a bit more we would be doing fine...

#2: Longer range skills, like pantheons ult, twisted fates ult, xeraths ult, kogmaws ult, should unlock the camera on use and re-lock when it cant be used anymore, or in koggys case after a short delay...

Now to people who think I should just use unlocked camera I say this. Locked camera lets me watch the map and have my peripheral vision on my screen. The map tells me where everyone is, the screen tells me where my enemies are. I cant tell you how many times I have managed to sneak up behind an enemy who had an unlocked camera and was farming. only to have them unable to react fast enough to fight or run. They weren't watching the map, lol! Now this big thing walking behind them woulda caused a reaction had they seen is.

Eunson

11-04-2012

Should be able to scroll out more. People who have a smaller monitor have a disadvantage. My girlfriend took my older monitor which is smaller. When we play side by side, she sees far less than I do. Everyone should be able to see the same amount imo. By being able to zoom out further than what is currently offered, players would be able to play with a view that feels more comfortable instead of what their screen size restricts them to.

boourns

UI Designer

11-05-2012
67 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslm View Post
put it in one of those fancy new messages that pop up at the start of every game
Heh, touche. Yes, I look forward to using it to message new features in the game UI! I've been wanting something like this for a long time.

boourns

UI Designer

11-05-2012
68 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FumIsChum View Post
Well I still think my idea is solid. To answer some of your questions "how will players discover how to use it" When I started playing the first thing I did was try to move the camera when it was locked.There is no managing of the camera, when the match starts you set your field of view and that field of view works all over the map. Your Champion would be somewhere in the top right corner and you could adjust if you like.

Anyways thanks alot for the reply you guys will get to it eventually. I got excited too fast thinking we were getting a fix for season 3.
Not saying your idea is bad, I think it's probably along the lines of what we would try! It's unfortunately not trivial to do if we want it to be something everyone can use well.

Apollo Starling

11-06-2012

Locked-camera user here, just regained gold rank before the season end too :3

I remapped my spacebar to "lock/unlock camera" so that even though I play locked most of the time, I can quickly hit unlock if my vision gets obscured and I need to see something. But I hate doing that. It's out of necessity but it's just clunky and annoying to me, I can't stand unlocked camera.

What I'd really love is, instead of having space simply switch my camera from locked/unlocked, I could hit spacebar and reposition the "center" of my locked camera to where my mouse cursor is at the time of click, in relation to my character

Right now locked camera is "your character is always at the center" right? Well I don't want that to be the case all the time, cause I lose vision of stuff, which is why I'm forced to unlock (which I hate) when I lose vision of stuff

As a quote in your original post stated, pretty accurately, what we want is a locked camera that shows us our character AND the action we're interested in at the same time. It's not hard to read our intention if you make it so we can mouseover the action we're interested in and hit a button, to tell you what we want to see.

I want to see more of what's happening south of me, I move my cursor south and hit spacebar, and the game repositions the camera so it shows more of what's south of me (and less of north). Action happening north? I move my cursor near the top of the screen and hit spacebar twice and now I see more north and less south

Just to make sure I'm explaining the idea properly, if I'm using locked camera, and have spacebar as this "recenter locked camera" button, and I move my cursor 500 units left of my champion and hit spacebar, what it should do is make "500 units left of my champion" the new center for locked camera. Then if I quickly need to see what's going on right of me, I can move my cursor over my character (now on the right side of the screen) and doubletap spacebar. The first trap re-centering the camera on my champion (making my cursor now 500 units right of her) and the second tap now making "500 units right of my champion" the new center

That would make me so happy, please do this

boourns

UI Designer

11-06-2012
69 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Starling View Post
Locked-camera user here, just regained gold rank before the season end too :3

I remapped my spacebar to "lock/unlock camera" so that even though I play locked most of the time, I can quickly hit unlock if my vision gets obscured and I need to see something. But I hate doing that. It's out of necessity but it's just clunky and annoying to me, I can't stand unlocked camera.

What I'd really love is, instead of having space simply switch my camera from locked/unlocked, I could hit spacebar and reposition the "center" of my locked camera to where my mouse cursor is at the time of click, in relation to my character

Right now locked camera is "your character is always at the center" right? Well I don't want that to be the case all the time, cause I lose vision of stuff, which is why I'm forced to unlock (which I hate) when I lose vision of stuff

As a quote in your original post stated, pretty accurately, what we want is a locked camera that shows us our character AND the action we're interested in at the same time. It's not hard to read our intention if you make it so we can mouseover the action we're interested in and hit a button, to tell you what we want to see.

I want to see more of what's happening south of me, I move my cursor south and hit spacebar, and the game repositions the camera so it shows more of what's south of me (and less of north). Action happening north? I move my cursor near the top of the screen and hit spacebar twice and now I see more north and less south

Just to make sure I'm explaining the idea properly, if I'm using locked camera, and have spacebar as this "recenter locked camera" button, and I move my cursor 500 units left of my champion and hit spacebar, what it should do is make "500 units left of my champion" the new center for locked camera. Then if I quickly need to see what's going on right of me, I can move my cursor over my character (now on the right side of the screen) and doubletap spacebar. The first trap re-centering the camera on my champion (making my cursor now 500 units right of her) and the second tap now making "500 units right of my champion" the new center

That would make me so happy, please do this
Hmmm makes me think of an interesting variation. So the problem would be that recentering on your mouse could be very abrupt, but what if when you hold space it pans the camera to center on your mouse and then locks on release? That might feel ok... If you press and release quickly it might just recenter

BelligerentGnu

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Hmmm makes me think of an interesting variation. So the problem would be that recentering on your mouse could be very abrupt, but what if when you hold space it pans the camera to center on your mouse and then locks on release? That might feel ok... If you press and release quickly it might just recenter
Sounds like a variation of something that's already been mentioned 3 or 4 times in this thread *cough*, but I'd back it.

DJANGO UNCHAINED

11-06-2012

There's no problem with locked camera.

Dyrus plays locked camera, look where he is now. On TSM, still playing locked camera.

Looking around the map really fast does not determine a good player in LoL. There are other factors involved such as team strategy and champion/runes/masteries. LoL isn't Starcraft and doesn't require an insane APM as well.

ploki122

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
or maybe a semi-locked mode where the camera always pan toward your mouse so that it includes both your target and your champion? kind of a semi-locked mode?