Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChanceDriven

04-26-2012

Pardon me, but can anyone offer an arguement for why locked camera isn't a disadvantaged play style anyway? I'm not talking about preference. I mean if you lock your camera you cannot watch anyone else on your team or be of use to them unless you walk next to them...

I believe locked camera was training wheels and seriously mess with gameplay... long skills shots have to be shot from the hip with it on. I am curious if anyone who plays like this can even move up in skill.

Pika Fox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceDriven View Post
Pardon me, but can anyone offer an arguement for why locked camera isn't a disadvantaged play style anyway? I'm not talking about preference. I mean if you lock your camera you cannot watch anyone else on your team or be of use to them unless you walk next to them...

I believe locked camera was training wheels and seriously mess with gameplay... long skills shots have to be shot from the hip with it on. I am curious if anyone who plays like this can even move up in skill.
Left click minimap

???

Profit.

The only real disadvantage to locked is purple team, everything else can virtually be considered an advantage if you rebind the camera settings and use the minimap to view other areas when using abilities. It helps with keeping awareness centered arond you, which is generally better than having awareness set around somewhere else, since you can only play from your champ, and you should be looking at yourself and your surroundings more than everywhere else.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
We're always hiring and we love candidates who play our game and are also awesome at their jobs! Just sayin'
I did apply recently, so we'll see!

ZiPS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2012

Quote:
Yes some form of offset camera seems promising, I like the ideas people are posting on different ways to control it.

What concerns me about this approach is that it could easily involve as much camera management as free camera would. It does have the advantage of keeping your champion on a consistent part of the screen.
Could the press & hold feature (like Varus's Q when smart casted) be applied to this? For example: pressing a key locks your camera to an offset from your champ, holding that key re-centers the camera (like the spacebar does now). That way we could lock/unlock/center the camera with one button.

LunchboxSuprhero

04-26-2012

Quote:
BTW, I'm getting a fix for the locked camera setting not saving QA'd right now. If my rudimentary C++ skills hold up it will make it into an upcoming patch and you will no longer have to reset your locked camera every game. We will also be able to collect accurate stats on locked camera usage.
While you are at it, do you think you could add back, in the form of a check box, that "bug" where when you looked at a different part of the map with camera locked, it would unlock it? It felt so much easier to use global ults that way because I always forget to unlock my camera before I look over to noc ult someone.

BelligerentGnu

04-26-2012

Hi Boourns

Started another thread for this because I think it's a bit different than the discussion here, but I was hoping to get your opinion on it:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2063686

Basically, the idea is a camera toggle that locks camera movement to mouse movement

boourns

UI Designer

04-26-2012
24 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika Fox View Post
Hopefully its much higher than what you currently see :<

Only time i unlock camera is for long range ults and ganks, really. Would really love some modifications that help.

The best change would probably be to change the entire SR map to a left right TT esque map, but that also probably isnt something that is wanted to be done, however, maybe making it a 4th map instead so that players can choose to play it over the current SR that way nothing is really lost? =p

Might be a fix to the flipping purple team problem, set a different map for the queue where purple's map gets flipped, it will at least solve the "different perspctives for different players" problem.
I expect it will be much higher that we currently see, which is a tiny amount.

Kai Talakki

04-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceDriven View Post

It really is just a matter of preference here though. Some people don't like it, some people do. What seems like a disadvantage to one person is an advantage to another. It's not a matter of one being inherently better than the other, even if those who don't use locked camera think otherwise.

Can't watch anyone else on your team? Just because you use locked camera does not mean you always have the camera locked. It is very simple to unlock it, look at a different part of the map, then lock it again. I frequently unlock my camera to check on a team fight. I'd imagine if I ever played a character with a global/large ult range, I would do the same to pick my target.

I've also noticed that using locked camera, I am a lot more aware of the minimap than my friends who use unlocked camera. I am always checking enemy and teammate movements and have warned people about ganks that otherwise would have gone unnoticed.

As for long skill shots, that's dependent on the person. I find aiming skill shots in general a lot harder in unlocked camera, because the smallest shift too close to the edge moves my camera and throws me off. The longest range I have played is Kog'Maw, and he's one of my best champions. I have no problems aiming his ult. Granted, I have never played anyone like Ezreal or Ashe, but I imagine I would either adjust to the mini-map or unlock it when aiming the ult.

I never feel like I'm at a disadvantage, besides on purple, and have never felt like I needed to unlock my camera. The only "disadvantages" I've seen people claim involve "situational awareness" and skill shots. Neither of these things have been a problem for me. I really think that this "locked camera is a disadvantage" thing is being blown way, way, out of proportion. For some people it works, for others it doesn't. The same can be said about unlocked.

KesslerCOIL

04-27-2012

locked camera is a godsend, i hate that its not in Dota which is why i play LoL instead.
The only time i have trouble is on purple team in which case the best solution would be to allow us to zoom out about 20% more.
Its actually the main reason i dont play ranked, because im ALWAYS on purple team and i hate it.

I personally know very few players who DONT lock their camera, even someone with an elo of 1700+.

alaskaneagle

04-27-2012

Nope, still no replies to me.. *tear* I'ma go dye my hair red and get adopted...LoL

Most of what I said was replied to in other replies. Guess that means I'm on the right track with comments even if I'm not addressed directly.

One more question though (well, two).

How strong is the debate over the view at the riot office? Do they realize it's an issue many care about and have they realized it is something that has most likely cost them a lot of players?

I see that you mentioned getting more accurate statistics for people who play and don't. I'd also suggest gauging the amount of accounts that go inactive that never played with the camera unlocked. It would give a good idea (though this late in the games life not a stat to be focused on) of the kind of turnover you get due to the view inequality.