Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-20-2012

Hey boourns, I noticed that a lot of people use locked so they don't lose their champion. Have you guys thought about adding the option to put a large circle/crosshair/etc centered on your champion? (If so, what were your thoughts?)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

04-20-2012
18 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
Hey boourns, I noticed that a lot of people use locked so they don't lose their champion. Have you guys thought about adding the option to put a large circle/crosshair/etc centered on your champion? (If so, what were your thoughts?)
Yes, we want to make *your* champion more visible in a team fight although we haven't put together any concrete plans on what that might look like. I think that's a general problem that all players have and some people use locked camera so they have a good idea of where their champion is.

BTW you should find me when I'm online, I'll hook you up with something for taking the time to make the summary of posts!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Yes, we want to make *your* champion more visible in a team fight although we haven't put together any concrete plans on what that might look like. I think that's a general problem that all players have and some people use locked camera so they have a good idea of where their champion is.

BTW you should find me when I'm online, I'll hook you up with something for taking the time to make the summary of posts!
While I don't necessarily think a bullseye/crosshair is the best thing to make your champion more visible (I think that would just add some needless clutter) I agree there needs to be some way to help distinguish your champion from the others.

The first things that come to mind for me are brightness or saturation adjustments for champions - make the player's champion brighter, and darken the other champs; or do the same with saturation (though that would possibly be more obvious, it would probably be more garish or unsightly).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kai Talakki

Member

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
Hey boourns, I noticed that a lot of people use locked so they don't lose their champion. Have you guys thought about adding the option to put a large circle/crosshair/etc centered on your champion? (If so, what were your thoughts?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Yes, we want to make *your* champion more visible in a team fight although we haven't put together any concrete plans on what that might look like. I think that's a general problem that all players have and some people use locked camera so they have a good idea of where their champion is.

BTW you should find me when I'm online, I'll hook you up with something for taking the time to make the summary of posts!
I feel like that's simplifying the issue far too much. The "using locked camera to see your champion" part is used for seeing your champion at all points in the game, not just team fights.

The issue of finding your champion in a team fight is another issue entirely in my opinion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Powerstoned

Member

04-20-2012

How can we solve these problems and still preserve the things that people like about locked camera mode?

Zoom out 10+%. (If you're really nice, 25%.) Not asking for the world here.

The added playability of having a "15 champion tall" screen instead of a "13", or whatever it is, would feel immense. The game runs really well on low end machines, especially comparing this game to every other game out there. Still can see the champion fine.

How about letting at least some of the UI panels be movable. Maybe your items bay even?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Talakki View Post
I feel like that's simplifying the issue far too much. The "using locked camera to see your champion" part is used for seeing your champion at all points in the game, not just team fights.

The issue of finding your champion in a team fight is another issue entirely in my opinion.
Hmm, you can always press space to recenter the view, so it just felt to me like the issue (at least one of them) was losing track of your champ at key times; if you see the <marker that makes you easier to see> moving towards the edge of the screen, you can readjust accordingly.

How about an option that left your camera 'unlocked' but dragged it along if you moved outside of a 'box' (say more than 1/3 or 1/2 of the way towards the edge of the screen). Just spitballing here, curious to see what seems like would actually 'feel' better.

(I definitely think things that might cause clutter to some should be optional, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. The bigger issue is letting people know about the option vs turning it on by default and hoping they know they can turn it off.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Yes, we want to make *your* champion more visible in a team fight although we haven't put together any concrete plans on what that might look like. I think that's a general problem that all players have and some people use locked camera so they have a good idea of where their champion is.

BTW you should find me when I'm online, I'll hook you up with something for taking the time to make the summary of posts!
Unfortunately atm, I don't have that much time to game... (We ended a bit early Monday and Tuesday, but I was scheduled for 45 hours... of overtime this week.)

<.<

>.>

Sleep soon so I can get ready for a short shift! (Yes, 12h shifts are 'short,' I had a 16 yesterday...)

If the 'something' in question happens to be a job at Riot however, I would more than happily call off!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rachael Passive

Senior Member

04-20-2012

this is really interesting to me. I really approve of this thread. when I first started, I played around 300 games with locked camera. I had no problems with locked camera until i started moving too forward as ashe because I couldn't see the enemy haha. I really regret using locked camera for that long, because it is so hard to change from it. It took a lot of custom games by myself to understand how free camera worked and I had to figure it out around level 30.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Atheist NA

Senior Member

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
What if I told you I thought the best way to address this was to make unlocked camera easier to use for people who are accustomed to locked camera (I actually did say that in an earlier post...)? I'd love to see more discussion on that.
Sure, I'd love to be able to use unlocked camera. But, on the other hand, I find I can play perfectly fine without it, but only on blue side. It's a very touchy subject, because it only affects one side of the map, purple. I really have not found a problem with playing locked camera on blue side, and I don't feel at a disadvantage whatsoever. I do occasionally unlock to check out a fight on the other side of the map or whatever, but I play 95% of a game with the cam locked.

Overall opinion: Making unlocked camera easier to use is fine, but the issue isn't JUST with people not being able to use it, its people not being able to use on purple side.


Quote:
I've read all the posts that people have made and I'm not satisfied with band-aid solutions like flipping the UI to the top or changing the camera (which only hides the problem by making it less obvious during the laning phase). There is still a huge situational awareness penalty and problems with using long rage abilities. The purple/blue side view distance just makes it more obvious on purple side. How can we solve these problems and still preserve the things that people like about locked camera mode?
Some of the solutions that people have suggested aren't band-aid solutions to me, but I get your point. The best solution that I personally am in favor of is allowing the camera to have your champ in the middle of the screen, slightly offcenter to the lower left, or slightly offcenter to the upper right. This would be HUGE for me. I could move my champion to the upper right of my screen if I'm bottom lane purple side, and still be able to see all of the action that's in front of me.

New suggestion: What if, when you locked your camera, the camera keeps your champion on "smart follow", meaning, it stays in that position, and moves when your champion moves. So, you could unlock your cam, set the position you like, and then lock it. Hitting spacebar will still center the camera on your champion. Thoughts?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kai Talakki

Member

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
Hmm, you can always press space to recenter the view, so it just felt to me like the issue (at least one of them) was losing track of your champ at key times; if you see the <marker that makes you easier to see> moving towards the edge of the screen, you can readjust accordingly.

How about an option that left your camera 'unlocked' but dragged it along if you moved outside of a 'box' (say more than 1/3 or 1/2 of the way towards the edge of the screen). Just spitballing here, curious to see what seems like would actually 'feel' better.
My main issue with unlocked camera isn't losing my champion so much as the fact that the camera scrolls. When trying to play with unlocked camera I have had many unnecessary deaths due to accidentally flinging my camera into the jungle when I'm trying to run away or fire a skillshot because my cursor went to the edge of the screen while doing so. To me this is a far bigger concern than having my champion centered in the screen. That's why I don't really like these "half and half" fixes because they all involve the camera still scrolling to some degree.

I just feel like the "being able to see champion in a team fight" is an issue that everyone is going to face regardless of their camera preference simply because having ten champions in a crowded space firing off abilities and all kinds of buffs and debuffs active just creates a lot of clutter, it's got nothing to do with the camera being locked or unlocked. The "being able to see champion" when it comes to having a preference for locked is just the fact that I like having my champion always visible in my sight, with the camera locked I don't have to worry about my champion going outside of my viewing range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcup View Post
Sure, I'd love to be able to use unlocked camera. But, on the other hand, I find I can play perfectly fine without it, but only on blue side. It's a very touchy subject, because it only affects one side of the map, purple. I really have not found a problem with playing locked camera on blue side, and I don't feel at a disadvantage whatsoever. I do occasionally unlock to check out a fight on the other side of the map or whatever, but I play 95% of a game with the cam locked.

Overall opinion: Making unlocked camera easier to use is fine, but the issue isn't JUST with people not being able to use it, its people not being able to use on purple side.
I agree completely. I don't understand why there should be an "easier to use unlocked" or a "half-and-half" camera 'fix'. From what I've seen the problems with locked camera only come up when playing purple, and it's something that's been stated a lot in this thread. Why does the locked camera need to be revamped completely when a simple fix to purple's viewing range takes away the problems for locked camera players?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xiangg

Junior Member

04-20-2012

I started with camera unlocked and I had to ask someone how to make the camera move and they told me how to lock it...worked very well as a new player...then I started playing champs like Kog and Cait and the range of vision was not far enough...however, I still lack the ability to play it unlocked, just too much micro management for me, especially if I'm on purple team in classic...what would be perfect is if I could zoom out further than what I can now w/locked...I think it would be alot better for alot of people if we could just zoom out enough range for the long range skills(Kog, Cait, etc) that aren't map wide or just extremely long(ziggs, TF, GP) Sorry if someone has already posted something similar to this but I just didn't feel like reading everything :P................Another Idea that would solve the purple problems...why not just turn the map 180 degrees so that the camera is towards the opposing team like it would if you were normally blue...the only thing that would change would be the colors and Dragon/Barron