Alternative for Free Champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Mercator

08-09-2010

I personally don't like the free champions thing, because people can play really expensive champs free, even if they don't 'deserve' it. So I'm giving some ideas:

- Let new players choose any (or just cheap) champion, but just once. Then, they would need to earn IP to buy new ones. That way, new players would have the chance to choose champs they actually like, so there would not be 'free expensive' champs, what ruins the battles some times.

- The idea above, but yet with free champs at practice games, so people could try out champs, but not ruining matches...

I would really like to receive feedback on this... Thanks.

atheimetal

08-09-2010

Why exactly are you putting some much emphasis on high price characters? A lot of the best characters in the game are middle priced (or even the cheap) ones. The free characters system is fine and does not need to be changed.

The Pravus

08-09-2010

How would a new player know what champion he likes if he cant play any of them.

Raccool

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2010

inb4 "elitist noob"

faure

08-09-2010

"deserve it?"

GildedFox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-09-2010

Someone mad that their expensive champ got picked in champion select before they could?

Free champions is an absolute necessity if they're going to have you buy champions at all. As a new player, it is essential to finding your place and knowing what you want to do. I know a lot of my friends would have stopped playing pretty early if they just had to randomly pick a champion and stick with it until they had the IP for another that they weren't sure they'd like. ESPECIALLY for the expensive champions. No one would get the 6300 IP champs if they didn't have a chance to try them first for themselves. I don't like buying blindly.

I do agree that people shouldn't really be trying random champions in real games if they haven't at least tried them once in a practice game/glanced at a guide so they know what item build to get, but I don't think free champs should be limited to practice games. I personally try them out in a practice game, then if I like them at all I move on to normal games and play with them a bit. It provides a real environment to play them in, practice games don't usually provide that.

So no. Leave it as it is.

Palentine

08-09-2010

Not only that but it is an excellent marketing strategy that allows players to try that l33t hero who just wiped the floor with them and decide if they want to buy said champ. Why would you want to buy a champ sight unseen. I play all of the free one's at least once everytime they change just to see how they work.

Free champs is fine. Let it be.

ScholarZero

08-09-2010

As Homer Simpson said:

"Oh sure get us addicted then jack up the price", although his was about cookies.

ReverendSchu

08-09-2010

it'd take around 5-9 games to get enough IP for their 2nd champion. yeah, no. there needs to be variety, not only from keeping people interested enough to keep playing after 3 games, but so that players can TRY champions before they BUY them.

haven't you ever purchased a champion that you regretted later?