"Dominion is not ready for ranked in terms of balance"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KSHarrison

04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leapist View Post
Actually I like that a lot. Make the top turret worth having two turrets. I shall think it over some more in my head to try and see any problems that it might create, but for the time being I'm pretty well sold on this idea.
Cool, well this thread is turning out some good ideas and discussion. Let's keep it up!

Ikarurob

04-13-2012

until ******* figure out what draft is, the que times for draft will be terrible.

you morons are just shooting yourselves in the foot playing blind

Risemix

04-13-2012

Most if not all of the problem champions on Dominion are also imblanced in some way on SR. Examples to the contrary are Wukong and Urgot, who are balanced, if not slightly underpowered but at least playable.

Poppy is a problem on SR, too, just not at low elos. Yorick autowins while AFK and is slated for a remake. Etc.

If they aren't interested in dominion-specific balance adjustments (which is understandable) then they need to adjust the map so that these champions aren't as obscene. That's going to involve a lot of surgery and a few adjustments to the map buff, CS layout, etc.

Vriska Serket

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2012

Would an increase/decrease *brain not working , cant think of which it would be* in the soft cap for movement speed work?

So that champs like rammus can still be faster then others but not to the degree they are now.

Ms Annie Hastur

04-13-2012

The reasons given are absolute bull****. All of the problems that dom "has" are problems that SR shares or has also had in the past, and it has always had ranked. This is just another case of riot not understanding much, or not caring much, about what their community says or thinks. Remember Fizz and Vayne on release? They got buffed after they were already autobans on SR(and dom in Fizz's case) and stayed like that for a month until riot admitted they were broken op. Akali was an autoban on both for a long time too, maybe 4 months.

Also, the thing about poppy isn't just that she can **** on a specific champ, it's that she can ult the lowest damager there and then proceed to wipe the floor with the rest of the team while they can't hurt her by ignoring her ulted enemy for the duration and focusing on others. And her passive can be annoying to deal with if she's low hp and has enough mana for say, 7 abilities or so left. Since everything will become more than 10% of her current hp, then she gains a constant 50% damage reduction at super low hp. I've seen a poppy take out a warwick with full hp like this. But does that mean she will always do well? No, some people pick champions without knowing how to play them because they're op, and fail miserably. This happens in both SR and Dom.

Hugs From Momma

04-13-2012

1. Remove the armor and magic resist penetration buff.

2. Remove the 20% healing reduction aura. (Sustain has been nerfed massively since Dom was released. The healing debuff only skews things in favor of shields and temp hitpoint buffs like Lulu's ult.)

3. Revamp existing items (ROA, catalyst)

4. Add new items (especially a good CDR item for AP casters, Warmog's replacement?!??!?)

5. Add another speed reduction cap.

6. Adjust the mana regeneration aura so low mana champs (panth, wu, etc) aren't transformed into manaless casters, while higher mana champs can use more abilities (ziggs).

random downvote without comment. neat!

Ahlen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottyssey View Post
I don't understand why having "autoban" champs prohibits the ability to play ranked Dominion.

Even though I much prefer Dominion, I'm 100% fine with champions continuing to be balanced solely around SR. I would hate to see Rammus nerfed because his mobility is so strong in Dominion, for example.

But why not acknowledge that these types of imbalances are going to naturally occur and compensate by allowing extra bans? I feel like allowing each team one more ban than you would get in SR basically fixes a lot of the issues that, IMO, cannot be fixed without allowing balance changes to creep into SR.

Allowing 4 bans per team instead of 3 (or 5 instead of 4 when SR's ban limit is increased down the road) would do a lot to help this issue.

This same approach would also help Twisted Treeline as well, IMO.

Just some thoughts... I think trying to balance champions evenly in SR and Dominion is a fool's errand.
The problem with 'automatic' bans and that some champions are too good on Dom is that it's bad for strategic play.

There's no strategy involved to being forced to ban the same 2-3 champs every game. There's no counter play or 'meta' choices involved in it. It's simple must pick or must ban. And from a competitive stand point must pick/must ban is a very bad thing.

Having strong picks or weak picks or team specific picks is good. There's strategy and depth involved with building a strong team composition that does well on the map, or is suited to a specific strategy. Having half or more of your bans/picks automatically going to specific champions makes it so that strategy and innovation stagnates to a certain degree.

Ex. Why experiment when you can just automatically succeed by picking WW.

Cherokeepimp

04-13-2012

It is ready, they just want to wait until everyone stops playing it before they implament it cause they are dumb.

Followed by numerous people defending them lol.

Cauldrath

04-13-2012

Just throwing this out there, but they could make the champions work exactly the same on SR and CS while still doing character-specific buffs/nerfs by having character-specific rates of passive gold gain, likely lining up with how good the character is at farming in SR. Very slight adjustments would have a large effect, as well.

Some more-global adjustments I would consider making:

CS aura increased mana regen only applies to bonus mana regen, not base, and increased (250%?)
Maximum mana reduced by a %
Armor/MR shred/pen effects reduced by a %
Abilities that scale on % of opponent's maximum health reduced by a %
CDR added (does not count against 40% CDR cap), which is higher for ultimates
>Base< attack speed of champions increased by a flat amount
All auto-attacks gain a small % of AP as magic damage
Passive rage generation
Reduction of HP costs for abilities
Aura includes a small amount of Tenacity (does not stack with items)
Health of shields reduced by a %

Infirc

04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldrath View Post
Just throwing this out there, but they could make the champions work exactly the same on SR and CS while still doing character-specific buffs/nerfs by having character-specific rates of passive gold gain, likely lining up with how good the character is at farming in SR. Very slight adjustments would have a large effect, as well.

Some more-global adjustments I would consider making:

CS aura increased mana regen only applies to bonus mana regen, not base, and increased (250%?)
Maximum mana reduced by a %
Armor/MR shred/pen effects reduced by a %
Abilities that scale on % of opponent's maximum health reduced by a %
CDR added (does not count against 40% CDR cap), which is higher for ultimates
>Base< attack speed of champions increased by a flat amount
All auto-attacks gain a small % of AP as magic damage
Passive rage generation
Reduction of HP costs for abilities
Aura includes a small amount of Tenacity (does not stack with items)
Health of shields reduced by a %
Excepting for the passive rage generation this sounds logical and viable.