Revive: Why you hatin?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Damoklese

08-09-2010

I personally do not use Revive because I think there are better choices for me. Most of the time im using some combination of teleport, cleanse, and ghost.. because I prefer surviving over killing.

But when I see someone using revive, it doesnt really bother me. But it seems like for a good portion of the rest of the LoL community, it is positively infuriating. Seriously, every time someone takes revive there is at least one neckbeard on the team who has to jump down the guys throat. The most common comment "you plan on dieing alot?"

This is usually followed by a queue dodge.

Now I understand that Revive is one of the first spells you start off with, and that you default to it.. thereby making it "newbish" by default. But beyond that I really dont understand why people unlease the inner nerdrage when they see it.

"Revive is for people who plan on dieing".. well.. everyone dies. And revive is on a pretty long cooldown so, honestly, its better for the guy that doesnt die much as it severely limits his downtime and allows a good player to get back in the action quickly.

"There are better options available".. that is a matter of opinion. You might like exhaust but the champion the person is playing may have adequate CC of his own to work with. You might like flash but not everyone feels like they need an escape button.. some people are confident in their ability to avoid death without summoner spells. There are surely other useful summoner spells but saying they are MORE useful than Revive is, imo, close minded.

Uses for Revive:

1) Solo laning against a carry. You have harassed him to low health but he is hugging his tower now. You could tower dive him but would probably die. With revive you can tower dive and kill him, die in the process, and be back in your lane well before he is.. allowing you to get ahead of him on XP and gold, and possibly even take his tower.

2) Late game, you are the carry. Maybe you make a mistake, maybe the other team focuses you down so that they can manhandle the rest of your team and push your base. But with revive you are able to get right back into the fight and take away their advantage.

3) You are a character such as Rammus or Shen or Pantheon or Gangplank.. and your team just got wiped. They are pushing into your base.. what do you do? what. do. you. do? You revive and AOE your tower.. stopping their push and giving your team a chance to respawn without having an inhibitor taken.

bonus use: Karthus. Your guys just got in a big fight and yall lost.. but the other guys took a beating. Revive and ult.. triple kill!

Look. Im not just making this stuff up. Most of these are situations that ive seen in games like DoTA and HoN where buying out saved the day.

For those that dont know..."Buying Out" is a feature of HoN and DoTA where after dieing if you have enough gold you can purchase an instant ressurection. Its not something you want to do all the time but it has some key strategic uses, like those listed above.

I know this will probably get flamed and blown off.. but im so sick of seeing these uptight nerds that act all elitist when they see someone using revive. Saying it is useless is just ignorant.

Valenis

08-09-2010

the concept of revive is fine, its just that the cooldown is ridiculous

Damoklese

08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonis View Post
the concept of revive is fine, its just that the cooldown is ridiculous
That I can actually agree with. Faster cooldown might open more people up to the idea of using revive.

DrBeach

08-09-2010

you died.... sure even then best players die.. and if you dont die a lot revive is good (CD sux thow)

THE PROBLEM
people who cant play very well get revive ... because they die a lot.... which means they feed a lot.. and revive allows them to die more... must i go on?

EDIT: plus if you make the CD of revive less it will horribly destroy this games hole idea of pushing and create a massive imbalance

CrimsonSkies

08-09-2010

1] Say you ran flash instead of revive. You charge in, kill him, flash out. He dies you live.

2] Again. Flash.

3] If your whole team is dead, you aoe your tower, you are gonna die unless you are plank. In which case, your aoe doesn't do enough dmg to stop the push anyway.

Bonus: You can cast spells for 8 secs after you are dead...why bother reviving?

Extra: Assume you run flash/revive, ghost/flash will still get you more kills, help you live more, than simply reviving.

imhuge

08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoklese View Post
I know this will probably get flamed and blown off.. but im so sick of seeing these uptight nerds that act all elitist when they see someone using revive.
that's just ignorant

Pokemaster

Recruiter

08-09-2010

bonus use: Karthus. Your guys just got in a big fight and yall lost.. but the other guys took a beating. Revive and ult.. triple kill!

-fail

DrBeach

08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemaster View Post

-fail
but a good karthus player would never use revive
BECAUSE HIS PASSIVE ALLOWS HIM TO DO THIS

Cerebellum

08-09-2010

Revive is nice.

Every other summoner spell is nicer.

Damoklese

08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkies View Post
1] Say you ran flash instead of revive. You charge in, kill him, flash out. He dies you live.
Doesnt always work like that.

Sometimes you kill him and flash out but the tower has already fired a shot and it follows you to whereever you flashed to and kills you anyway.

Sometimes you die first but your dot kills him.

Sometimes you dont even have time to flash after killing him.

Im not trying to say Revive is better than flash.. im trying to say that Revive isnt useless.

Quote:
2] Again. Flash.
Like I said..maybe you made a mistake.. maybe you got focused down. Maybe you did have flash but Mordekaisers ult killed you. Maybe you flashed into a bush that Nidalee was sitting in. Maybe you flashed and Ezreal got a lucky ult in. Maybe you got hit with Ashe's ult and were dead before you came out of it. etc..etc..etc..

This is a silly debate. Everything does not go perfect every time. Everyone dies. This whole "revive means you are going to die" bull**** is exactly what im talking about. People with flash die...every game.

Quote:
3] If your whole team is dead, you aoe your tower, you are gonna die unless you are plank. In which case, your aoe doesn't do enough dmg to stop the push anyway.
Depends on the circumstances. If it is still mid game and the other team has managed a really hard push down your middle lane.. a gangplank ult does enough damage and your teammates respawns are short enough that he can stop it.

With Rammus ive managed to hold a tower against 3-5 players because no one wants to be the one to get close enough for me to taunt them.

There are also times when the enemy team pushes even though their health is low from the previous team fight.

Maybe it wouldnt work too great in a high elo game against ultra-competitive experienced players who know how to react perfectly to any situation because they play LoL instead of sleeping with women or advancing their careers... but for the much larger portion of NORMAL gamers out there, some of this stuff works.

Quote:
Bonus: You can cast spells for 8 secs after you are dead...why bother reviving?
Because the fight wasnt over before your 8 secs were up? I dunno. Maybe its not the best example. I know this was a great tactic for HoN and DoTA though.

Quote:
Extra: Assume you run flash/revive, ghost/flash will still get you more kills, help you live more, than simply reviving.
Maybe not if you are Master Yi? Or Teemo? or Rammus? or i dunno..who else gets a run buff that makes Ghost less useful in most situations.

Whatever the case.. ghost wont help you in any of the situations I listed. And again.. my point is not to prove that Revive is better than other summoner spells. My point is that people who make a big deal out of revive and act like taking it is the epitome of newb need to open their minds up a little bit to the useful situations in which having revive could help the team.