Riot -- Please stop giving champs "synergy" passives

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Salacavalini

08-09-2010

How about a champion that gains dodge from crit and crit from dodge.

yogsarrian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2010

I don't think you're forced to go certain builds because they're mathematically superior.

doesn't vlad's passive make him more versatile? like he could stack health and still have decent ap, or he could stack ap and still have decent health. it frees you to play different styles and still be effective.

in fact every one of these passives allows you to be more versatile in your builds, as opposed to pigeon-holing. Singed could get hit points just fine from randuin's and 4 sunfires, but his passive opens him up to rod of ages and frozen heart and archangel's as alternate means to the same end. Kayle can stack bloodthirsters if she wants, or she could go hybrid with guinsoo's and gunblade, or she could go straight AP.

rammus is sort of an exception, but he starts out pigeon-holed. if you're not getting armor on rammus, even without his passive, you're pretty much going to fail (unless you're getting magic resist of course). but that's because his abilities revolve around him getting attacked.

obviously you're entitled to your opinion. but mine is that synergies are great. they bring a lot to the game, adding versatility instead of taking it away.

Kadzin

08-09-2010

You forgot Akali.

I think these champs fill a certain niche as well as giving a player a hit of what they should consider buying. All passives can't be super unique and game changing, usually if the passive is so unique that it is a core of the champion may lead to either a success like Annie, or a not so much like Kennen. I would rather have these synergy pasisves then absolutely boring ones or worse, "on death" passives, that happen to be useful only when you are dead, like Kog Maw's or Karthus's.

Soiyeruda

08-09-2010

To be honest, most of the champion passives are just a form of a "number tweak" in disguise, whether it's a Stat A -> Stat B converter, Flat +Bonus Stat, Form of reduction, etc. etc. Even something like Malphite's Granite Shield is really just a hidden, temporary HP boost.

With most of the champions, you'll notice that the passive isn't their main feature, and you shouldn't consider this as such.

While Kog'maw's passive may be cool and can get you some quick revenge, it requires that you actually die to use it, so unless you're feeling suicidal, you shouldn't be doing so every chance you get.

There are a few exceptions though. Take Twitch. His W and E are reliant on his passive to power up their effects/damage.

In the end, "number tweak" passives are just much easier to implement, and most tend to be reliable because they're straight to the point, and help to pull a champion in a certain direction.

So while you might hate Jax because his passive converts AD/AP into HP, think for a second about his role. He needs to get in close to deal damage. This puts him in danger of taking damage, which means he could die. Extra HP helps to expand on this disadvantage by allowing him to take a few extra hits, in addition to the extra damage he's dishing out.

Annie can stun every 5 spells, but if she's stunned, then she's not building up charges towards that 1.75s stun.

I'm probably thinking about it in a really weird manner, but meh. Just throwing an opinion out.

Dwarfling

08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacavalini View Post
How about a champion that gains dodge from crit and crit from dodge.
He'd be a rogue and his passive's name would be "Livin' on the Edge".

Dyloslawer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2010

i like it when passive's actually fit the characters design.

like shaco's backstab, TF's additional gold(as useless as it might be, it fits the character), malphite etc

Galefire

08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeach View Post
i think this is a MASSIVE issue... it really does create an imbalance in the game... one of the reasons why vlad is considered OP

plus its not fun.... kog maw has a freaking awsome passive.. and its really cool to use... more of this and less of "cant think of anything... ill just put in a "synergy" passive"
But Vlad isn't considered OP.
And Kog'maw has about as useful of a passive as Revive has of a summoner spell. You don't play the game to die.

RHINO Mk II

08-09-2010

But what if I like getting 831 HP from RoA's on Singed?

(Actually slightly more with the 5% mana bonus masteries)

RiotWarty

08-09-2010

I love kog'maw's passive! I agree 100% with this thread, simply because I'd prefer the game to be diverse, as opposed to a champion being forced to take a certain build.

Moúser

08-09-2010

/sarcasm

Yeah, I wish all heroes had awesome passives, like Pantheons kill-stealing one.