Riot -- Please stop giving champs "synergy" passives

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sweatersDC

08-09-2010

Disclaimer: This is my opinion.

First a list of champions with what I consider "synergy" passives:

Jax builds AD and AP to get HP.
Rammus builds Armor to get AD.
Singed builds Mana to get HP.
Kayle builds AD to get AP and AP to get AD.
Vlad builds AP to get HP, and HP to get AP.
(unreleased) Galio builds Magic Resist to get AP.

IMHO, this is a flawed system, for a few reasons:

(1) It allows those champions to get more value from their gold than other champions.
(2) It pigeon-holes the champion into a certain build, by making other builds mathematically inferior.
(3) It is uninteresting, adds nothing to gameplay, and generally shows a lack of creativity from the designers.

A lot of champions in LoL have really unique, creative, and fun passives.
Just a few examples: Nidalee, Karthus, Kennen, Kog'Maw, Mordekaiser, Annie, Pantheon.

In contrast to the "synergy" passives, the above champions' passives provide an additional level to gameplay, and tie into their respective champions' background/lore. Synergy passives, however, are just stat-buffs that feel lazy and tacked-on.

Personally I would love to see more champions with game-changing passives, not just number-tweaks.

End

Chained Icarus

08-09-2010

You leave my Rammus the hell alone! And my Kayle! >:O

"(3) It is uninteresting, adds nothing to gameplay, and generally shows a lack of creativity from the designers."

No, it's called "emphasis." I personally LOVE stacking Armor on Rammus and watching him still drop some painful hits.

And Kayle just wouldn't be Kayle if she didn't have that hybrid feel to her.

Yellow Jester

08-09-2010

Yeah because Riot totally doesn't understand this nor balance their AP/Damage ratios to compensate.

Tharkenist

08-09-2010

I thought this thread was about dogs farting.

Son, I am disappoint.

ccesssu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
Yeah because Riot totally doesn't understand this nor balance their AP/Damage ratios to compensate.
Go do some math...
I don't mind the innates, but the more interesting ones are fun too

DrBeach

08-09-2010

Quote:
It allows those champions to get more value from their gold than other champions.
i think this is a MASSIVE issue... it really does create an imbalance in the game... one of the reasons why vlad is considered OP

plus its not fun.... kog maw has a freaking awsome passive.. and its really cool to use... more of this and less of "cant think of anything... ill just put in a "synergy" passive"

dotCA

08-09-2010

I agree, but not because it creates inbalance. Because in all honesty, the heroes you have listed if they lacked that Buff they'd be UP and significantly under powered. That said, I agree because I rather see unique passives. There's some interesting one's. Teemo has a pretty cool one.

Problem is, can you even think of a good passive that'd match these characters ? It's an issue to come up with unique ideas, that stay in balance of the game, you know what I mean ?

I'd love to see rammus get a passive like after taking X damage, or going below X health you gain X speed X AD etc. It'd be like hulk mode, you wouldnt want to get down to that what 40% health, but when you did you had some form of an advantage.

I'm tired as hell, if I think of a good one for kayle I'll post it also.

Layotees

08-09-2010

Not every champion needs to be super versatile with builds, although most of these champs are free to make plenty of choices.

Edit: And the only person on this list who is anywhere near real OP is Kayle. Vlad has certain aspects of his character that are OP, but not his passive.

Chained Icarus

08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotCA View Post

I'd love to see rammus get a passive like after taking X damage, or going below X health you gain X speed X AD etc. It'd be like hulk mode, you wouldnt want to get down to that what 40% health, but when you did you had some form of an advantage.
But that doesn't fit the CHARACTER of Rammus, or his lore, really. And his stacking armor to do damage makes SENSE.

Now I could see changing some others around, but Rammus is just completely built around that whole armor concept.

Kama Toki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2010

The current Synergy passives are fine. But future ones need to stop. Forever.

Before we see a champion who gets Health from stacking Health. Then we have to cry.