Thoughts on the PVP.net launcher

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hedgepig

10-23-2009

Thoughts on the PvP.net portion. There are a lot here. In general i love the Gameplay of LoL, but the front end seems a little separate from the back end. Its a little different style graphically, and the way the game loads after the whole launcher portion has a slight disconnect. I assume that this part is set in stone now, but I had a few comments to improve the interaction between the two because I'd love to see this game be very successful.

- Queuing with my brother (just 2) is always super fast, <1 minute. This is great. Queuing with my brother and his friend has us waiting for 5-10 minutes before giving up. We are all similar levels, so I'm not sure whats going on here. Is there a limit on arranged teams? The estimated times never change, so its hard to tell.

- When someone leaves a game lobby/hero selection, rather than canceling the game entirely, going back to the lobby to add one more person from the Q might alleviate some long Q frustration for those with high ELOs or frequent bailers.

- When all champions are selected, starting the game immediately (or a 5-10s timer) would be nice. I've sat around for a minute after everyone picked in the first 15 seconds quite a few times. Obviously I dont know what the other team is doing, but I assume most games get picked well before the timer ticks down.

- There is currently a decent amount of overhead to get into the game. Start the launcher, joing a q, pick your hero, start the game, wait for the load, spawn. wait for the creeps... Individually its not terrible but together adds up to some serious potential wait time, especially when I got stuck waiting 3-4 minutes (no joke) for someone with a sluggish machine to load their game. I'm not sure if there would be a way to start loading the game after hero selection, before the timer ticks down, or what. Coming from a DotA perspective, once everyone's picked a hero the game is in progress in less than a minute.

- In practice games, it is possible to have the game started on you before the lobby even loads. This requires bailing on the game (cruddy) or bailing on your friends who were trying to join (cruddy).

- We can pick pages of runes, but not separate specs for masteries. I asusme this is by design and that we are intended to keep a slightly more permanent mastery spec, but it seems to me that if you were trying to be truly competitive, you might have to re-spec for any match. Having at least a seperate option here might be nice. Or a good option for a pay feature ($$$!)

- It would be nice to be able to adjust game settings from the launcher, so that you dont have to fiddle with them in game if you wanted to.

- In the game stats section, the stats are fun but not entirely useful because many are absolute and based on game length. A graph of gold over time, or a GPS stat might help evaluate your farming, same for damage, minion kills, etc. Stats like biggest crit, longest kill spree, etc are all just great as is.
It would also be nice and useful to be able to compare your stats to others in the game.

prencher

10-23-2009

Agreed with pretty much everything you said. Personally, my big issue is the stuff you touch on first; The styling / branding.

There are no less than 4 different styles here: The website, the launcher, the 'pvp.net client' and the game hud. Consistency is king, and these all vary widly. IMHO, all of the facets should be styled like the launcher; Good colour scheme here, and clear UI.

On top of that, the branding is flabbergasting. You start the "League of Legends Launcher", which launches the "PVP.net Client", which is the front end of "League of Legends", but yet is called "PVP.net Client", but only in window title, the app itself refers to LoL. On top of that, the executable for the "PVP.net Client" is LolClient.exe. And when the game itself loads, it shows a differently styled logo than the one used in the launcher, the website or the 'pvp.net client'. Then when you finally get into a game, you have an UI that uses a completely different colour set and style from the rest.

I really don't think you could've made it more confusing if you tried.

Hedgepig

10-23-2009

I wasnt even thinking of it in terms of branding, but thats a very good point (though "flabbergasting" might be a bit harsh :P ). Starting up the launcher doesnt really feel like you are delving into the LoL experience, more like you are visiting a third party website with some RSS feeds and some ads for pre-ordering. Given that the LoL experience is awesome, this is too bad.