Can we agree to disagree?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DNeon

Senior Member

04-11-2012

There's been something that's been bugging me lately, and it's nothing to do with the balance of LoL, it's to do with you forum posters here in the champion feedback section. Now, I love that the community can get together (for the most part) and agree on topics, and I like the fact that people can create a thread and have heaps of supporters behind it, keeping it bumped and such, but something that I've noticed when this happens is down-voting someone for disagreeing.

I'll often be reading through a thread and be saying to myself 'Golly, a lot of people agree with this person! Maybe they're right!'* before noticing the little slivers of text in between saying 'Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it'. I click, and to my surprise* this topic wasn't as straight forward as I thought it was. A simple post saying 'Sorry, but I thought he was kinda OP before' has a rating of -38. I go through and click some more, each a simple disagreement, calmly stated, merely the inverse of what the rest of the comments were saying.

If somebody disagree with what your saying, don't just down-vote them, down-vote them if they do it aggressively, or if they are legitimately trolling, or if they are wrong about something more than a matter of opinion, or are just slinging insults. Sure, there's nothing constructive about just stating your opinion without saying anything to back it up, but if someone does then ask them for their opinion rather than just down-voting, please. People new to the forums or the community or the game can get easily confused, it doesn't help when one side of the story is swept under the carpet by the other. Give people a chance to voice their opinions guys, can't we just agree to disagree?

*Re-enactment emphasises innocence and n00bishness, may not be 100% accurate


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invictrix

Senior Member

04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNeon View Post
There's been something that's been bugging me lately, and it's nothing to do with the balance of LoL, it's to do with you forum posters here in the champion feedback section. Now, I love that the community can get together (for the most part) and agree on topics, and I like the fact that people can create a thread and have heaps of supporters behind it, keeping it bumped and such, but something that I've noticed when this happens is down-voting someone for disagreeing.

I'll often be reading through a thread and be saying to myself 'Golly, a lot of people agree with this person! Maybe they're right!'* before noticing the little slivers of text in between saying 'Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it'. I click, and to my surprise* this topic wasn't as straight forward as I thought it was. A simple post saying 'Sorry, but I thought he was kinda OP before' has a rating of -38. I go through and click some more, each a simple disagreement, calmly stated, merely the inverse of what the rest of the comments were saying.

If somebody disagree with what your saying, don't just down-vote them, down-vote them if they do it aggressively, or if they are legitimately trolling, or if they are wrong about something more than a matter of opinion, or are just slinging insults. Sure, there's nothing constructive about just stating your opinion without saying anything to back it up, but if someone does then ask them for their opinion rather than just down-voting, please. People new to the forums or the community or the game can get easily confused, it doesn't help when one side of the story is swept under the carpet by the other. Give people a chance to voice their opinions guys, can't we just agree to disagree?

*Re-enactment emphasises innocence and n00bishness, may not be 100% accurate
I don't think you understand how downvoting and upvoting works. If you mostly agree with what the person is saying you upvote them. If you mostly disagree you downvote them it isn't about them being a troll or that you hate them. I disagree with your post, so I am gonna downvote it and maybe you will disagree with me and you'll downvote me.

The most embraced message will survive and become the opinion of the forums.

I will agree that there is no reason get angry over ideas on the forums since Riot for the most part makes balance ideas independent of the champion feedback forum. Although the buff of Shen and the upcoming buffs for teemo show that the community can get what it wants if it is united enough.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DesertFox

Senior Member

04-11-2012

I see what you are trying to prove, but down-voting has become the disagreement button throughout the years. The 'Red Thumb' is loved by stubborn hardcore 'politicians', trolls, and haters. But then again, the poster has the right for their opinions and the downvoter has the right for their thumb placement. There are people who feel strongly about their concepts and ideas and if your posts greatly differed, in other words, DENIED, They want and will downvote you. It's just how it works.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DNeon

Senior Member

04-11-2012

I guess people will interpret it that way, but I find that any forum that embraces the ideology of hiding unpopular opinion to be incredibly hypocritical, you ask for riot to listen to your opinions, but only if you agree.

If you wish to use your thumbs as a measure of agreement or disagreement, that's fine, I guess...
I'll use mine to as a measure of well or badly written argument.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Longfellow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-11-2012

I don't mind disagreement, but if people just say "you're wrong! you're stupid!" and then carry on to give no reasoning, then it's a problem. I get over it though so \_(ツ)_/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invictrix

Senior Member

04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNeon View Post
I guess people will interpret it that way, but I find that any forum that embraces the ideology of hiding unpopular opinion to be incredibly hypocritical, you ask for riot to listen to your opinions, but only if you agree.

If you wish to use your thumbs as a measure of agreement or disagreement, that's fine, I guess...
I'll use mine to as a measure of well or badly written argument.
I generally don't write for Riot since the odds of them taking interest in my posts is very unlikely.

I write for other posters or lurkers who read the forums and play the game. I have written some things and gotten trolled and downvoted to death and I have written other things with 2500 views and 50 likes like the 10 types of lol players that is currently very popular as far as my posts go.

I suppose it is hypocritical of the forums to hide minority opinions under a rock, but It is more like blockbusters making other movies obsolete kind of censorship than we don't want you to hear this kind of censorship.

Anyway +1 for a good argument, but I am probably gonna go back to how I use to award green and red + or-.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tails66

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNeon View Post
There's been something that's been bugging me lately, and it's nothing to do with the balance of LoL, it's to do with you forum posters here in the champion feedback section. Now, I love that the community can get together (for the most part) and agree on topics, and I like the fact that people can create a thread and have heaps of supporters behind it, keeping it bumped and such, but something that I've noticed when this happens is down-voting someone for disagreeing.

I'll often be reading through a thread and be saying to myself 'Golly, a lot of people agree with this person! Maybe they're right!'* before noticing the little slivers of text in between saying 'Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it'. I click, and to my surprise* this topic wasn't as straight forward as I thought it was. A simple post saying 'Sorry, but I thought he was kinda OP before' has a rating of -38. I go through and click some more, each a simple disagreement, calmly stated, merely the inverse of what the rest of the comments were saying.

If somebody disagree with what your saying, don't just down-vote them, down-vote them if they do it aggressively, or if they are legitimately trolling, or if they are wrong about something more than a matter of opinion, or are just slinging insults. Sure, there's nothing constructive about just stating your opinion without saying anything to back it up, but if someone does then ask them for their opinion rather than just down-voting, please. People new to the forums or the community or the game can get easily confused, it doesn't help when one side of the story is swept under the carpet by the other. Give people a chance to voice their opinions guys, can't we just agree to disagree?

*Re-enactment emphasises innocence and n00bishness, may not be 100% accurate
Trololol downvoted


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invictrix

Senior Member

04-11-2012

someone downvoted everyone

"troll in the forums thought you ought to know" que faint


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mortusvorge

Senior Member

04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictrix View Post
I don't think you understand how downvoting and upvoting works. If you mostly agree with what the person is saying you upvote them. If you mostly disagree you downvote them it isn't about them being a troll or that you hate them. I disagree with your post, so I am gonna downvote it and maybe you will disagree with me and you'll downvote me.

The most embraced message will survive and become the opinion of the forums.

I will agree that there is no reason get angry over ideas on the forums since Riot for the most part makes balance ideas independent of the champion feedback forum. Although the buff of Shen and the upcoming buffs for teemo show that the community can get what it wants if it is united enough.
I disagree, I think that up and down votes should come down to the quality of a post, not simply whether or not that poster is in your opinion correct. I could stand here all day and make the most obvious points in the world (the sky is blue for example) in fractured English, with no backing evidence and that doesn't make a post worthy of up votes, or at least it shouldn't. I agree, you should up vote or down vote based on quality, and it's completely unfair for forumers to use this function to muffle the voices of an opinion in the minority, because all opinions should be listened to. Everyone deserves a voice.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invictrix

Senior Member

04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortusvorge View Post
I disagree, I think that up and down votes should come down to the quality of a post, not simply whether or not that poster is in your opinion correct. I could stand here all day and make the most obvious points in the world (the sky is blue for example) in fractured English, with no backing evidence and that doesn't make a post worthy of up votes, or at least it shouldn't. I agree, you should up vote or down vote based on quality, and it's completely unfair for forumers to use this function to muffle the voices of an opinion in the minority, because all opinions should be listened to. Everyone deserves a voice.
I suppose we could upvote and downvote people on post quality, but how does one know how popular an opinion is or how much support the idea has. Someone could write an extremely eloquent post on how tanks should be removed from the game and it could get tons of upvotes, but what if Riot took it as support for the idea and announced that all the tanks were going to be made unplayable until such time as they could be reworked into tanky dps champions. That is rather far out, but it could happen on a smaller change.

I kind of like the idea of a poster writing something true in broken english and getting support for his idea from the more grammatically gifted who happen to recognize the truth in his words.

As far as minority opinion goes "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one". We can let them have their voice, but does it do them anygood when the majority realizes that we can't also let them have what they want. The use of voice is to ask for or condemn things yet their voice which is few in number can never be answered by the majority but in a refusal.


12