Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

New Player Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NixonShouldHave

08-08-2010

Ok first thing's first, I've been playing for a few days now and I have a question: is it more beneficial in the long run to play with many champions or pick one off the bat to buy and get good with? I've heard it argued both ways and from a new player's perspective i'm leaning towards many. However, I don't want to be gimped as I gain levels by not having a strong champion that I can rely on as the competition gets tougher.

In addition, when playing a champion I usually follow the recommended item build and see what it's trying to accomplish (attack damage, ability power, tank-ness, etc.) and adjust my play style accordingly. Generally I look at a champion's abilities and use them for the most obvious of intended uses (example: if I have a silence I'll target an enemy caster in a fight and use it on them, even if they're not the biggest threat or intended target of the gank or such). Is this a good playstyle to follow as a newbie or should I have a broader mindset when it comes to ability usage and itemsets? Sorry if any of this is unclear, just wanting to get a feel for what you more experienced people think. Thanks in advance!

R66Y

08-08-2010

Play many. I played only a handful when I started wanting to learn them really well, and it's sowing me down nowadays because Im not as familiar with the rest of them (although I do well with my mains). If I end up taking someone other than my 3-4 mains, I do noticeably worse. Learning the ins and outs of as many champs as you can will only benefit you down the road (although there is nothing wrong with having a few favorites).

As for the playstyle, sounds like your in a better position than most just because you are realizing you need to adapt. You'll learn alternate builds as you play and experiment (and read the forums). The recommended items are generally a good starting guide, but as with everything the key is to maximize your champions capabilities against your given opponents. Thefact that it sounds like you've started to recognize this is good

imGonzo

08-08-2010

You should try many but stick to a select few. Having hands on experience with each champion will help you when you play AGAINST them, knowing how their abilities work, team synergy capabilities, weaknesses and other things.

And the recommended items is a good starting place but don't be afraid to experiment. Go read up on that particular champ, there are a lot of builds for every champ so mix and match and see what benefits you the most. Sites like mobafire.com and leaguecraft.com are there to help you with outside suggestions, guides and opinions.

YOURDOOM

08-08-2010

Here's my take on the whole deal (lvl 30, just fyi)

I agree with these people that you should probably play a lot. At first I thought differently, but now that I think about it...my mains I've somewhat forgotten, and am enjoying learning new champs a whole lot more. However I would suggest grabbing at least one person, that you play off and on more than the others. Say grab ashe, and play her once every five games. Although playing lots will be more beneficial, ashe will prolly get you more wins. So a mixture of the two is always nice, for example, when I want a win I play my main, but when I want to have fun (more often than not) I play someone I want to have fun with.

As for the second, I agree with R66Y that you are better off than most newbies. My opinion would be base your build off of the persons strengths as well as your style of playing him. For example, Ezreal has different style of builds, I build him Cooldown Reduction (cause I like to spam his abilities), and Magic Penetration (because I want to utilize his abilities). Whereas some people might build him DPS (damage per second), because they want to utilize his basic ability.
Mages I often get a little health for, because I don't like dying instantly. Whereas some can avoid death, and prefer more damage (Abillity Power).

But yea, you're starting better than most because:
1. you're asking questions
2. you realize that you need to adapt to the different situations presented you.

...One last tip...If you're gonna play a mage, make sure to check his Abillity Power percentages, I think you can find that on this website. For example, if a mages first ability has a 25% ratio, and you buy 100 AP (abillity power). Then only 25 of that will go towards extra "magic" damage. If a mage has low percentages then often you want Magic Penetration instead of AP. Magic Penetration will insure you pierce throw the enemies armor, ensuring the highest possible damage.

Good luck, and have fun!

Kyuketsuki

Recruiter

08-08-2010

Hey level 30 and been playing since closed beta

First of all how many champions you want to play is up to you. Personally I don't have a "main" I just pick based on how can I synchonize with my team better. In that fact I do suggest learning 1 of each "type" of champion examples tank, support, phys carry, caster carry, Hybrids

The main reason I wouldn't try to just learn the powerful champions now is for the fact that the balance of power is always changing in this game, for instance fiddlestix was the end all caster a long time ago, now he's not picked very often, so keep that in mind and keep flexible.

Good for you for going outside the recommended items and also for adapting to different situations

Also here's the ability power ratios thread that someone suggested but didn't link
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=15812

YOURDOOM

08-08-2010

Quote:
Kyuketsuki:

Also here's the ability power ratios thread that someone suggested but didn't link
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=15812

That's because I knew you had me covered. ^_-
Great advice btw.

...EDIT: Btw the new champions section here: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/champions
also gives AP percentages, as well as more useful information.