what is a carry?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tenrel

08-08-2010

I keep seeing people use that term, and i have no idea what it is.

Bonesetter

08-08-2010

A high DPS champion that is weak in the early game and must be "carried" by their team, as they're pretty powerful in the late-game.

Think Ashe or Yi.

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2010

I heard it was "carrying" the team to victory. But I have no idea on the origins of the term.

jaw33

08-08-2010

I always thought of them as the "carrier." When they have a good amount of items, they will really start to hurt, and therefore, "carry" the team.

imGonzo

08-08-2010

The "carry" is the champion that you want as your #1 attacker so you try to protect them because they will inevitably "carry" your team to victory. Think of them as your go-to-guy, your Kobe Bryant if you will.

Schuazay

08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmery View Post
The "carry" is the champion that you want as your #1 attacker so you try to protect them because they will inevitably "carry" your team to victory. Think of them as your go-to-guy, your Kobe Bryant if you will.
He pretty much summed up what I heard except I woulda used Rondo cause Kobe is a poo

noodle0117

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2010

to carry a team pretty much means to become the dominating force/factor to consider in said team.

Zannypants

08-09-2010

Lordy, no one really knows what it means, they're just putting random info they think is right out there.

Most pretty much explained it. And by the word, it's fairly obvious what it means.
When someone basically wins the game for the team. Doing most of the work. Where people are mistaken, it does not need to be dps, what so ever.

Any champion in the game can carry a team, Usually ones that are fed.

A taric can stack hp, tank/heal a turret and 3 enemy champs, bringing the turret down. And doing this over and over. You could say, he carried the team.

Soraka, has no dps, at all. I can and have carried a team with her. You go into team fights, or watch for other people fighting across the map. Heal, and give people mana. Thus 'carrying' the team.

As others said, a dps, such as teemo could carry a team. If hes fed and out gears the other team, he can just go around 1v1, sometimes 1v2 people and just clear the team out repeatedly, and 'carry' the team.

Johis

08-09-2010

The term "carry" is a remnant of LoL's roots. Back in the old days of DotA, it referred to a hero on your team who sucked bad early game but who had the potential to become extremely powerful as the game progressed. One character, for example, called Rikimaru, the Stealth Assassin, began the game with crotchity HP and, well, no stealth. Late game, provided he could get a decent number of creep (minion) last hits and maybe a few hero (champ) kills along the way, he had access to extremely high damage output (assuming he spent his money on good items), a few blink type spells (short range teleports), an insane AoE cloud that gave him 100% dodge and silenced all enemies within it, and permanent out-of-combat invisibility. This character alone could force a team to blow money on vision wards, vision gems (expensive and were dropped when you died in that game), and thornmail-type items.

Fast-forward to LoL. The term still means essentially the same thing, except LoL carries aren't as squishy early-game as DotA carries were, making it more difficult to tell the difference. Feeding carries early is very, very important to the success of your team because they are extremely item dependent. This includes both minion and champ kills, so if you're laning with a carry and you are not a carry yourself, try to let your carry teammate get killing blows. Many physical DPS characters like Ashe, Sivir, Master Yi, and Xin Zhao are all classic carries, and some are more than capable to rake in the gold on their own. Be aware, though, that a carry who doesn't know how to play their character well can be a huge liability for the team because they potentially can take a character that starts out kind of sucky and make them even suckier with inappropriate items that are not synergistic with the champ's abilities.

A less-often used meaning of the term, which is also a remnant from DotA, is "a player that was carried through the game." This doesn't happen very often in LoL because most champs are pretty well balanced, but occasionally, you will see a hero who just becomes so insanely powerful they can take out the entire enemy team by themselves. Usually this character has been fed to oblivion while the rest of his or team has not, meaning in a 5v5 fight, that one character might score an ace all by himself while the rest of his team dies. This almost never happens (to this degree) in LoL, but it used to happen in DotA all the time. In these cases, the uber powerful character is essentially carrying his team. Incidentally, this meaning of the word came first. Use of it to refer to specific heroes as "carries" came later and was derived from this meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zannypants View Post
Soraka, has no dps, at all. I can and have carried a team with her. You go into team fights, or watch for other people fighting across the map. Heal, and give people mana. Thus 'carrying' the team.
That's not "carrying a team." Carrying a team is when you win the game. By yourself. Good luck doing that with Soraka.

Dugal Avon

08-09-2010

Carries are normally very high damage champions that are usually not all that good during the laning phase of the game. However, when it comes to late game, these are the guys that go over to the enemy team and kill every single champion, allowing the team to push. The above posters pretty much sum up how the word is used and such.