First Champion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WillyJamesHuff

08-08-2010

hey everyone, just got the game and im wanderin whats a good beginnin champion? is it better to go ranged or melee first?

Thanks

Kyuketsuki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-08-2010

I would suggest somebody like soraka.
Make sure to get the heal (astral blessing) and free mana (infuse) toss it to your teammate when they are hurt/mana dry. Wish can save people anywhere on the map, so if you see a gank/fight that your wish could turn the tide don't be afraid to use it. For items grab things that provide benefit for teammates (aura items) since you really don't do much in fights other than healing, and the occasional silence.

Generally ranged is easier; however ranged characters cannot takes as much damage as melee characters typically.

Zannypants

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2010

Just starting off I'd highly suggest ranged. They are a lot easier to use early game.
There isn't really a specific champion, most are 'easy' to use, but have little tricks and things they can pull off if used correctly.
If you really want a list of fairly easy to use champs;
Annie
Ashe
Dr. Mundo
Gangplank
Janna
Nunu
Ryze
Soraka
Teemo
Tristana
Zilean

Obviously people are going to agree, and disagree with that list. But those seem to be fairly simple champs in my opinion.

Johis

08-09-2010

I highly advise against starting off with Soraka. She's supremely squishy, and if you try to play her before really knowing how the game works, you'll get frustrated quick. She's an excellent choice for when you know how to play (especially play defensively), but you'll want to be familiar with what items are available before messing with most support characters. I'd stay away from Ashe, Annie, Janna, Ryze, and Zilean, too, until you know what you're doing. (Or try them in practice games when they're free to play.)

If you think you might like to try ranged physical DPS, Tristana is your best bet IMO.

If you think you might like to play a mage, I'd think twice. Mages are hard to play well late game, and it helps a lot if you know what you're doing. Ryze, Veigar, and Nasus are good mage picks. Nasus is probably the most noob-friendly of the three.

For tanks, Nunu is a solid first choice. Amumu can be quite effective, but you'll have to know your way around the game to play him well. Shen is considered by many to be broken, and while he is a very good tank / melee DPS champ, you should learn not to rely on him because, unless he is reworked, he will often be banned in ranked games. Garen is also an ok choice to learn on, but good teams will destroy him.

For melee DPS, Warwick is fun and easy because in normal and practice games, his recommended item build does alright. (It's not the best you can do, but it helps you learn some of the items that are available without gimping the biscuits out of your character. He's also a good champion in general.) Pantheon is also very good. Master Yi can be alright and Xin Zhao are both good against bad teams, but they're squishy early and can prove problematic to farm with. I'd start with Warwick or Pantheon.

For assassins, Twitch, Shaco, and Katarina are all good. Of the three, which is easiest to play is a tough call. Assassins require good players behind them in general. Twitch might be your best bet if you really want to play an assassin.

Finally, for solid support champs, Soraka and Zilean are the best. Soraka is hard to play, though, and you will be ganked early and often if you pick her without knowing what you're doing. Zilean is a hybrid mage / support champ, so he is a good pick if you want to play support but don't want to give up all your firepower. Like Soraka, though, he is wimpy HP-wise and will get ganked early if you don't know what you're doing.

In general, I strongly advise you just BS with free heroes in Practice games before buying anything or trying new heroes in Normal games. Pick one you know and love! Try many and find several favorites because if you find a champ that is easy to play and free that week, somebody else might pick it when you get to playing Normal games. Then people won't rage at you when you buy Atma's Impaler on Ryze. (That is, assuming you've learned not to buy Atma's Impaler on Ryze...)

Oh, and another thing: always, always, always use Practice games to test new heroes. Always.

c0nscript

08-09-2010

Why Practice games? What's wrong with Normal games?

Johis

08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0nscript View Post
Why Practice games? What's wrong with Normal games?
Practice games are for practicing. Trying new heroes in matched games just creates a huge potential for epic failure, which wastes peoples' time and makes them angry. Try saying "first time with this champ" after locking in. Even in normal, at least four of every five times you'll get dodged.

c0nscript

08-09-2010

I wish there was a way to test heroes you wanted to buy before like you can say "Practice" and it lets you play like 3 practice games just to see what their moves do, etc. Instead of having to wait for it to come on free play for a week.

Johis

08-09-2010

IMO you should be able to play *all* champions in practice games, but practice games should give you more of an exp / IP penalty than they do now. Say 30% to discourage people from leveling up by playing practice games but still give them something for finishing a game.

Akal

08-09-2010

Johis gave some good feedback there. If I were to pick any one champ to start with, though, it would be Ashe. She's relatively easy to get decent with and is a pretty strong champion, plus she's very cheap to purchase at 450 IP.