How to play against Vladimir?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Magnus BigBang

01-12-2011

leblanc counters vlad pretty hard
i honestly thought i was gonna have a hard time in mid agianst him but it was one of the easiest laning phases ive ever had.

he gets in range to Q you shoot your q right after he does it and pop in with W for a quick burst/silence combo that wittles him down and forces him to either hug the turret where you can zone him out, go back and give you a level/farm advantage or kill him

mana wasnt a concern at all with my rune/mastery setup and by level 6 i had him completely shut down and unable to farm from fear of being shat upon

not being able to pool really screws him and tricking him to pool is hilarious because you just made him was a huge chunk of his remaining hp without actually doing anything

FaerellG

01-12-2011

I play Sivir, I out farm him. spell shield his transfuse to fuel my mana (difficult cause it's instant effect and I have to read the player's gameplay style).
Wait until level 5 when BB is a serious nuke. Nuke him after he pools.
push the lane hard, and steal both Wraith camps for extra money and XP.

Out-level, out-farm.

so work on your skill shot and spell shield timing and Vlad will get pushed out of lane eventually. It won't be fast and it's very skill dependent. Pick up Chalice against vlad since he's all magic.

I haven't laned mid against him as Anivia yet.

eXTechno

01-12-2011

Playing as Karthus against Vlad is very fun

Especially when that Vlad started off with Boots

Lay Waste Harrass and stay out of range if he keeps running towards u or just stand there and take his single hit and keep Lay Wasting him

Did this with some very competant Vlads in mid and its definately fun, as well as going up against Anivia

Manage to get him below 250 HP and you just picked up your Ult? Requiem and u got him out of the lane

Psychoholic

01-12-2011

Psycoholics tips to playing against Vlad:
Depending on you position in the team, the best way to play against a stack Vlad would be...
A.) Your a physical dps, what would be the best way to counter a vlad who harrasses hard with transfusion?
Early game harrassment on Vlad is the best way to go. Spamming vlad with basic attacks and keeping him out of exp range before he can start stacking up ap is definitily a must. If you can not harrass Vlad very well, or you would rather just keep last hitting him, pick up a summoner: Ignite or an early game executioners calling. In my opinion, executioner's calling is a terribly under-used item when it is such an essential item to tearing through high life regen heros (Mundo, Vladimir, Sion, ie.) If you can not take down a vlad who is getting fed later on towards the game I would strongly suggest going for a hexdrinker and a Bloodrazor's to shut him down. Whether you would rather pick a Wit's End over a Hexdrinker is entirely up to you. Vlad is probably one of the hardest characters to shut down once he gets fed, so if you need to, dont be afraid to hug the turret until you can get an early gank on him.

Next is...

Psychoholic

01-12-2011

B.) You are a tank. Vlad is not as much as a threat to you because you're already going to get some magic resistance early on. If you are playing against a primarily caster team (take a look at the other team's build [using tab]) after grabbing some Merc boots pick up a Force of nature, taking priority in null cape over the regrowth pendants. After you pick up your force of nature consider picking up a Banshee's veil, as not only will it give you some much needed magic resistance, it will give you some health to continue tanking as well. However, if after the force of nature you feel like you have enough magic resistance and your team is not feeding, go into a sunfire cape.
Nextly, let's consider you're fighting a pretty balanced team (Vlad included of course). I would strongly reccomend you starting out with a gaurdian angel after getting merc treads as the gaurdian angel gives plenty of armor ontop of giving you some much needed magic resistance. Afterwards, considering getting a warmong's. You are a tank, remember that Vlad is important, but he will not be the only one in the game you will be taking on. Warmong's gives you the health you need to tank phycial dps and caster dps. If Vlad is fed, build into some high magic resistance (Force of nature, banshee's, ie.)
The last thing to consider when tanking against Vlad is when he is paired up with a team of physical dps. If he is the only caster on a team of physical dps, do not prioritze Vlad when you go through tanking items. Play whatever items you feel will be best suited to playing your hero against a team of ad. For instance, where I to play Rammus, I would build straight into a thornmail followed by a Warmongs. The only thing to consider here would be if Vlad is being fed. If vlad were to be fed build into a gaurdian's. Not only will it give you the magic resistance you need, it will give you the armor and revive to take on the physical dps on the other team.
The final thing to consider is...

OxBaker

01-12-2011

It's tough for most players one on one to beat vlad at the moment because he can choose if he wants to attack or escape and he can often do either without much trouble. All you can do with him atm is one of three things...

1) Harass and run to avoid feeding him.
2) Gank him with others when possible.
3) Only stand toe to toe with him when you are right under your tower and can run back when he pools.

That's about it until RIOT nerfs him again.

Psychoholic

01-12-2011

C. You are a caster. You are being chowed down by Vlad and his flouray of opness. What do you do? Well, if it were up to me I'd play a cautious game. All of Vlad's moves have relatively short to mid distance range, stay out of range of him if you feel he is playing too aggresive. If you want to set-up an anti vlad (or just a simple anti-caster) caster build, start the game off with a saphire crystal and build into a catalyst. Now is the important thing to consider. Is vlad (or some caster in general) fed? Then use the catalyst to build straight into a banshee's veil and proceed to use your pimp hand to make Vlad your ****. Also, consider picking up a abysal scepter afterwards depending on how the game plays out. However, if vlad is not fed by the time it comes to choose what item to get after Catalyst, build into a Rod Of Ages and whatever standard caster build you're used to using afterwards.
Hope my little guide/forum post helps.

Psychoholic

01-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxBaker View Post
It's tough for most players one on one to beat vlad at the moment because he can choose if he wants to attack or escape and he can often do either without much trouble. All you can do with him atm is one of three things...

1) Harass and run to avoid feeding him.
2) Gank him with others when possible.
3) Only stand toe to toe with him when you are right under your tower and can run back when he pools.

That's about it until RIOT nerfs him again.
By the way Ox, Riot will not nerf any "op" characters to the point where they will not be "op". Unfortunatly, Riot has created these characters and people have spent money and ip to buy there characters. Riot will never nerf a character to the point where they wont be spent as much money on. If they did they'd be making a huge financial flaw, and I believe they're already aware of this.

BackDoorer

01-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoholic View Post
C. You are a caster. You are being chowed down by Vlad and his flouray of opness. What do you do? Well, if it were up to me I'd play a cautious game. All of Vlad's moves have relatively short to mid distance range, stay out of range of him if you feel he is playing too aggresive. If you want to set-up an anti vlad (or just a simple anti-caster) caster build, start the game off with a saphire crystal and build into a catalyst. Now is the important thing to consider. Is vlad (or some caster in general) fed? Then use the catalyst to build straight into a banshee's veil and proceed to use your pimp hand to make Vlad your ****. Also, consider picking up a abysal scepter afterwards depending on how the game plays out. However, if vlad is not fed by the time it comes to choose what item to get after Catalyst, build into a Rod Of Ages and whatever standard caster build you're used to using afterwards.
Hope my little guide/forum post helps.
just thought i'd pop in a mention that vlad pops BVs with a 2.5s cd spell that costs nothing

Psychoholic

01-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackDoorer View Post
just thought i'd pop in a mention that vlad pops BVs with a 2.5s cd spell that costs nothing
This is true, but on top of giving you the magic shield it also gives you the health and magic resistance needed for surviving against Vlad. and the mana it gives you is necessary to sustaining a lane without having to go back and heal every so often.