LoL Newbie

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

c0nscript

08-08-2010

Alright so I've heard a lot about LoL. Most of it bad, but I don't care.

It says "League of Legends is free to play!".

But everyone else says you have to spend money on the game, what exactly do you buy on this game?

AryadenPL

08-08-2010

You can buy Riot Points. They are used for unlocking new champions instantly and for getting new skins for them. Also you can buy EXP boosts and IP boosts. You can NOT buy runes using Riot Points.

Fleiska

08-08-2010

Champions - if you dont want to play with those 10 which change every week. (can be also bought with IP which you get from every game.. amount depending how the game went)
Skins - to make your champions look kewl
Boosts - to boost your EXP or/and IP gain

I guess there your money goes but I've survived pretty well spending $0 on this game.

c0nscript

08-08-2010

Well, is it even possible to be competitive with spending 0$? Paying real money for heroes sounds kind of unfair to those who can't/won't

KMJX

08-08-2010

You don't have to spend real money for champs. You can unlock them by just playing.
Of course, that takes a lot of games, depending on which champion you want to unlock permanently.

You can still be competitive without spending a cent on the game. It might take a bit more time, but that's not necessarily a bad thing: if you play more to get to the same point as someone else, chances are your actual game experience will give you a little edge over them.

In the end, spending money on this game doesn't give you an advantage in power. You might be able to specialize on one champion more easily, and you might get some nifty skin for your favorite hero.
You might also get to have all those rune slots and masteries available sooner, but you'll still have to work for everything that will really make a real difference in power and skill.

c0nscript

08-08-2010

So LoL is pretty much just a F2P DotA with micro transaction?

Critikill81

08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMJX View Post
You don't have to spend real money for champs. You can unlock them by just playing.
Of course, that takes a lot of games, depending on which champion you want to unlock permanently.

You can still be competitive without spending a cent on the game. It might take a bit more time, but that's not necessarily a bad thing: if you play more to get to the same point as someone else, chances are your actual game experience will give you a little edge over them.

In the end, spending money on this game doesn't give you an advantage in power. You might be able to specialize on one champion more easily, and you might get some nifty skin for your favorite hero.
You might also get to have all those rune slots and masteries available sooner, but you'll still have to work for everything that will really make a real difference in power and skill.
Well, actually, it MAY give you an advantage, like buying a hero that's known to pub stomp, and buy it when you're level one.

c0nscript

08-08-2010

Well I don't even know anything he is talking about so..

Critikill81

08-08-2010

I wouldn't worry about costs, as this game is completely free, you just choose to pay for it or not.

c0nscript

08-08-2010

Yes but does paying give you an advantage like in Free2Play MMORPG's?