Jungle rune question Udyr/Nocturne/Shyvana/Alistar/Mundo

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrizzlyMatt

Member

04-08-2012

I've noticed that for most of the junglers I play/plan to play, the rune pages are very similar. The general armor yellows and magic resist blues with a mix of attack speed and armor pen reds/quints. If I plan on overall playing Udyr/Nocturne/Shyvana/Alistar/Mundo, is there some page I can set up that is mostly optimized for them all? Like 6 armor pen reds with 3 attack speed + 3 attack speed quints?
I currently run a generic AD page for my junglers and it seems okay, is there a huge difference?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RickyDown

Senior Member

04-08-2012

Yea you could except you might wanna make some slight changes for each junglers
Nocturne, you might wanna have all reds go to Attack speed
Alistar uses a lot of mana, so maybe mana regen runes would help in jungle
Im not sure of other junglers cuz i havent played him but most junglers use the same runes page except for those special junglers like Fiddlesticks


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JxC

Senior Member

04-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyMatt View Post
I've noticed that for most of the junglers I play/plan to play, the rune pages are very similar. The general armor yellows and magic resist blues with a mix of attack speed and armor pen reds/quints. If I plan on overall playing Udyr/Nocturne/Shyvana/Alistar/Mundo, is there some page I can set up that is mostly optimized for them all? Like 6 armor pen reds with 3 attack speed + 3 attack speed quints?
I currently run a generic AD page for my junglers and it seems okay, is there a huge difference?
yellows are always set as flat armors, blues are basically free choice.
attack speed reds work well with all 4 of the champs you listed, and with most junglers for the most part.
the difference is quints.
Mundo can possibly use health/health regen/spell vamp quints for more sustain, or you can go for attack speed quints for clearing, or movement speed quints for better ganking.
Udyr utilizes movement speed quints for the gap closing or attack speed for phoenix procs
Shyvana can use life steal to increase her sustain, AD for more damage, movement speed for ganks. she is actually very versatile.
Nocturne would use attack speed quints for clearing or AD quints for damage.
im not really sure on alistar but i'm guessing movement speed quints.

For the most part, i think its really hard to go wrong with Movement Speed quints and Attack Speed Reds.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrizzlyMatt

Member

04-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxC View Post
yellows are always set as flat armors, blues are basically free choice.
attack speed reds work well with all 4 of the champs you listed, and with most junglers for the most part.
the difference is quints.
Mundo can possibly use health/health regen/spell vamp quints for more sustain, or you can go for attack speed quints for clearing, or movement speed quints for better ganking.
Udyr utilizes movement speed quints for the gap closing or attack speed for phoenix procs
Shyvana can use life steal to increase her sustain, AD for more damage, movement speed for ganks. she is actually very versatile.
Nocturne would use attack speed quints for clearing or AD quints for damage.
im not really sure on alistar but i'm guessing movement speed quints.

For the most part, i think its really hard to go wrong with Movement Speed quints and Attack Speed Reds.
Alistar's not all that bad on mana, unless I'm going for a really fast lvl 2 gank I can give the first blue up if I feel like it. So you'd think 9 AS reds and 3 MS quints? No armor pen in there o;?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JxC

Senior Member

04-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyMatt View Post
Alistar's not all that bad on mana, unless I'm going for a really fast lvl 2 gank I can give the first blue up if I feel like it. So you'd think 9 AS reds and 3 MS quints? No armor pen in there o;?
Armor Pen is always an eligible choice but it will not help your jungling. Armor Pen is for more late game damage. it doesn't make a difference in the jungle and will make a tiny difference in ganks unless youre ganking someone stacking defense (probably top lane only) from the start.
attack speed imo, works with everything because it increases jungle speed and damage and you can never get enough movement speed on any character.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrizzlyMatt

Member

04-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxC View Post
Armor Pen is always an eligible choice but it will not help your jungling. Armor Pen is for more late game damage. it doesn't make a difference in the jungle and will make a tiny difference in ganks unless youre ganking someone stacking defense (probably top lane only) from the start.
attack speed imo, works with everything because it increases jungle speed and damage and you can never get enough movement speed on any character.
Ah, only problem I have with that is MS quints are 2k IP each xD. I read a guide by either TheOddOne or SaintVicious saying they didn't really use MS anymore since there is a mastery called Initiator that increases movement speed if they're over 70% life and made MS quints less necessary. So ArmP really doesn't help in the jungle? I thought with 6 reds you did true damage to the jungle creeps?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mahyar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-09-2012

Just check my rune pages for all the champions you listed. I have a specific rune page for each jungler.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JxC

Senior Member

04-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyMatt View Post
Ah, only problem I have with that is MS quints are 2k IP each xD. I read a guide by either TheOddOne or SaintVicious saying they didn't really use MS anymore since there is a mastery called Initiator that increases movement speed if they're over 70% life and made MS quints less necessary. So ArmP really doesn't help in the jungle? I thought with 6 reds you did true damage to the jungle creeps?
yes initiator adds movement and the 2% movement speed one from utility (forgot what its called). however, the junglers you listed specifically can use all the movement speed they can get.
Udyr - no real gap closer, needs as much movement as possible
Shyv - samething as udyr Pre 6
Noc - samething pre 6

only alistar has a gap closer with headbutt. if MS quints is too expensive, you can never go wrong with attack speed quints or AD quints. yes 10% armor pen will let u deal true dmg to creeps but it is literally unnoticeable, not to mention a majority of the dmg from all those champs is magic anyways (udyr phoenix + proc = magic, shyv burnout = magic, noc duskbringer = magic, ali pulverize = magic)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrizzlyMatt

Member

04-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahyar View Post
Just check my rune pages for all the champions you listed. I have a specific rune page for each jungler.
Did you even read the full post? If that was all I needed I'd be fine already, from checking the rune pages of the 2k ELO junglers, I'm trying to find a general rune page that'll work for the junglers I named ;/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PressF1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-10-2012

I have a friend who is like 2200 elo that does AS reds, move quints, armor yellows, and flat mana blues.

The mana blues are because blue buff scales off of your total mana, and so it provides a huge boost early game on mana hungry champs like udyr and alistar, who can just build MR later anyway (if you aren't building mercs and wits end on udyr you're probably doing it wrong).

It works pretty well IMO. Nocturne actually scales really hard off of attack speed as well so keep that in mind.

Also noteworthy is that the only one of those junglers with a gap closer pre 6 is alistar, who is very positioning based so move quints is a good idea for all of them.

AS is good on every jungler, for udyr noc it will be extra good because they get procs after so many auto attacks (10s -1 per auto attack on noc, every 3 hits for udyr) and so it scales much better than ArP.

All of them use mana except shyvana and mundo, and obviously armor yellows on every jungler.


12