How does one transition back into normals?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChaosCrusaderZ

04-07-2012

A few weeks back I hit level 30 finally. I've been doing my tribunals and generally playing around with champs (Renekton still being my strongest), however it should be noted I'm one of those people who play very casually and do vs AI a lot. Having really gotten into the IPL and watching pro streams lately though, I know that doesn't really give you the 'meat' of what League of Legends is really about.

However I find myself having a hard time convincing myself to PvP on Summoner's Rift in normal (unranked) matches. I don't have much skill in many of my champions, my reaction times are sluggish and my rune pages are mostly incomplete what few I have.

That being said, doing a lot of tribunals and seeing how people doing poorly are often called on for "intentionally feeding", and how they bring down the team and generally can even be the reason for a loss is generally scaring me away from trying normals. Especially now that I'm level 30 and know there will be an abundance of people of really good skill who are probably doing normals to practice for Ranked matches.

Heck a few levels back I remember being in solo lane as Singed against a Poppy and vayne in bottom lane (No I have -no idea- how that ended up happening). I kept getting, repeatedly, killed and after the second time decided to just sit under my tower, wherein they tower dived me with little effort. Obviously got called out for feeding and when I asked for advice on what I should do ended up getting reamed 'You're singed you shouldn't be dying ever!'

That being said, while I've worked up the courage to do Dominion (As I don't think people take that mode seriously and frankly mistakes are a lot harder to notice in the fast-paced chaos) but not Summoner's Rift. So I'm kind of at a loss, how do I get practice to go back into normals without fear of dragging down my team with lack of runes / experience?

tl;dr version: I don't have good runes or experience due to doing vs AI from 1 to 30 mostly, how do you transition to normals from that?

Ze Robster

04-07-2012

Take your best champ and play. I was the same way, you just have to get used to it and shrug off the hate and flaming. Ask your team for advice, if they're rude, ignore it.

Your probably not going to do well at first. Just stick with it, the best practice is to do it.

Oh, and start getting the mindset of vs bots as a way to get used to a champs moveset and playstyle.

Kojyo

04-08-2012

Just find a couple of champs that really fit your play style and work on those. Keep taking them every time so you get a diverse experience against all sorts of opponents and in all sorts of team comps. I was absolutely terrible at this game, except for an occasional Heimer game ;D, until Fizz came out. He was just perfect for me and I started playing him non-stop. I sucked for the longest time but I loved his play style and I started noticing a lot of things I wasn't really aware of before. I got better at dodging skill shots and ganks and I learned to read my opponents a lot better and to predict their next moves.

I know a lot of this has to do with experience, but I believe having a champ that fit me so nicely helped me gain that knowledge a lot easier in the hostile environments that this game can produce. Now I play, and enjoy playing, a large variety of champs, at least competently I hope ;D

imho - Find a champ you really love to play. Play him ceaselessly so that u know him/her/it and how to really get the most out of it. That way you can stop worrying about your character and pay more attention to the enemy. Then you will start seeing a lot of improvement. Good luck and have fun ;D

LT Orange Juice

04-08-2012

Practice with friends so that they won't care if you feed. I'll even add you if you want or you can add me ( LT Orange Juice ). Even though I play ranked competitive I don't care if I win or lose. I play with a bunch of my irl crimes that are below pcmcia 15 and help teach them how to play.

AdamasHaima

04-08-2012

Really don't worry about it. The match-making system pairs you with and against people of your skill level based on past games. so if you lose the first few no worries, just remain open to the suggestions people make in game and check out builds/guides at websites like www.solomid.net

Maulkrieg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2012

From what I've noticed about people that do bots for too long is that they're overly aggressive when they do normals. They do things that normally work in bots, but do not work in normals, as players are much less predictable than bots.

My suggestion would be to make a new account, do bots and save for a champ you're comfortable with; you should have around 6300 IP at lvl 12-14. After you've gotten said champ, start doing normals at around lvl 15, and keep playing them until 30.

This will do a number of things: not add to the excessive amounts of smurfs, including lowbie smurfs, encountered at low levels, it will put you in normals that should be in the general range of your abilities from what you've learned with plenty of time for adjustment to players from bots before 20, allow you to settle comfortably into the increasing levels and abilities of other players as that account's level increases, and if you keep saving after that first champ, you should have enough IP to fill your lvl 20 rune slots and buy a 1350 champ by lvl 20.

Do not worry about people criticizing you. Everyone tries to blame each other because they don't want to be the one that's blamed. In normals it doesn't matter. Its about improving, not being good.

Once you're lvl 30, do a bunch of draft before you do ranked. Trust me. Doing ranked right at lvl 30 is not a good idea unless you just want to know where your current elo is and want to play 50+ games of it to find out.

As far as people saying to use solomid.net or other guides, just remember that they're just GUIDES. They are not set in stone, and they will not work in every single normal like they do in bots. Try to itemize against your opponent while still building toward your desired late-game build. You'll get the most practice out of this top, especially against GP, Garen, and Kennen. A lot of people complain about these champs before they actually learn to itemize against their lane.