Last Whisper

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panwar

04-06-2012

Is it a good idea to build Last Whisper going into mid to late game even if no one has any Chain Vest items?

Do champs passive armor gains from level plus whatever runes or masteries they have necessitate that large amount of armor penetration even without items?

I play a couple of AD champs quite often, and I kinda find myself building Last Whisper on them out of hand going into the mid to late game, and I'm kinda wondering if there are better things I could be doing with my gold if I don't see any high armor items in the enemy team.

ZenithZephyr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2012

In that situation, it's much more effective to build a ghostblade.

inFe eD

04-06-2012

Against derps, build flat Penetration. Against decent players, build LW/Void.

Panwar

04-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFe eD View Post
Against derps, build flat Penetration. Against decent players, build LW/Void.
Meaning that regardless of items decent players are more likely to have more resistances in their runes/masteries?

inFe eD

04-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panwar View Post
Meaning that regardless of items decent players are more likely to have more resistances in their runes/masteries?
In short, yes. They're far more likely to run 9/21/0 masteries, have defensive stats in their runes, and itemize against the lineup they're facing. Just keep an eye on your opponent's items and be prepared to rush the appropriate item if they're stacking defensive stats. There are also heroes where you're basically required to rush LW/Void if you want to hurt them anyway, Rammus/Jax come to mind.

GeneralDirection

04-06-2012

When I get into the midgame I purchase a Pickaxe and see what my opponents are building. If no one builds armor, I can turn the Pickaxe into IE or Kitae's, but if they get armor I get LW. Being able to catch up to my opponents 700 gold Chain Vest is difficult if I'm aiming for my 2205 gold Last Whisper all in one go, but if I pick up the Pickaxe slightly early, I can respond to an armor choice much more quickly.

Orphane

04-06-2012

If you see one or even two chain vests (or items that build out of said vest), that Last Whisper starts looking pretty good. And it's not like Last Whisper isn't good against targets building no armor, it's just slightly less effective than it is against targets tacking it.

Genericke

04-06-2012

For ranged AD carries I'd build a BC if they aren't building any armor (which is unlikely, but it can happen). For AD bruisers and casters I'd build YG.

Kolos1001

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2012

ghostblade is better on dom imo. if you have the 10% mastery you get around 21% armor pen to start out with and you only go up to 49% with the LW so you're losing like 12% because they multiply instead of adding.

you could always go black cleaver as well if your team has a lot of other auto attackers.

Nny

04-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolos1001 View Post
ghostblade is better on dom imo. if you have the 10% mastery you get around 21% armor pen to start out with and you only go up to 49% with the LW so you're losing like 12% because they multiply instead of adding.

you could always go black cleaver as well if your team has a lot of other auto attackers.
Nitpicking but you go up to 52.5% APEN with LW.

Also, that 30% means a lot depending on the armor your enemy has; In this day and age of tanky DPS, that 30% is normally a large amount of armor.

Also also, on some champs that prefer cooldown of ASPD and deal magic damage, I'll go that way down the O-tree. With just the Aura buff, LW then gives 35.2%.