Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

10 Second question regarding Smokescreen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Name Smurfs Here

04-06-2012

If an enemy with over 500 attack range (e.g. 600) is standing inside grave's smokescreen, can he or she still attack creeps/heroes that are standing in close proximity, say 550 range, despite the lack of vision?

Also, you can still see inside the smokescreen for 500 range, correct? So if both I and a melee hero are combating and a smokescreen is fired by Graves, we can continue uninhibitedly?

Kame Senpai

04-06-2012

Enemy champions inside the smokescreen can only see whats inside the smokescreen and whoever is currently attacking them.

Name Smurfs Here

04-06-2012

If Graves and I trading hits and he uses smokescreen, I can continue unobstructed? Then why is the forum riddled with smokescreen op complaints?

Also, if no one is currently attacking me in a skirmish but I know that two melees are duking it out 550 range away (smoke screen is 500 and my hypothetical attack range is 600), I can just stand there and keep attacking?

Kame Senpai

04-06-2012

If he smokescreens, you cant see what is happening with the rest of the fight, all you can see is the enemy graves. Its pretty scary to see a portion of your screen only not knowing what else is happening.

Imagine a 1v1 with nocturne's ult debuff but you can see one person. You can't see whats happening. Is your team getting wrecked? Should you go aggressive or defensive? A lot of times after smokescreen ends, your team tends to be dead because all you can attack is one person, not the enemies who are sitting on your carries.

Jorick

04-06-2012

Yes, you can keep trading hits with Graves so long as you can see him. If he's attacking you, you get sight of him, so the Smokescreen effect won't stop you from attacking him.

However, if you were attacking something farther than 500 range away and get Smokescreened, you will lose your target and stop attacking them. It works similar to how running into the brush works: if you're auto-attacking someone and they run into a patch of brush, you will stop attacking them because you can no longer see them. But in that hypothetical scenario, all you have to do is walk over a little bit to see the enemy again and you can keep attacking without any problems.

I would lay a hefty wager down on the reason people complain about Smokescreen being OP being the same reason they complain about Shaco being OP. It's not a matter of actual power, it's a matter of annoyance. People get those confused sometimes. Smokescreen is extremely frustrating sometimes, and it's a very high utility spell to be put on an AD carry as a regular ability, but that doesn't inherently mean the spell is overpowered.

EDIT:

Quote:
GunPewPew:
If he smokescreens, you cant see what is happening with the rest of the fight, all you can see is the enemy graves. Its pretty scary to see a portion of your screen only not knowing what else is happening.

Imagine a 1v1 with nocturne's ult debuff but you can see one person. You can't see whats happening. Is your team getting wrecked? Should you go aggressive or defensive? A lot of times after smokescreen ends, your team tends to be dead because all you can attack is one person, not the enemies who are sitting on your carries.

This is incorrect. All the Smokescreen effect does is reduce the vision range of anyone inside of it to 500 units, which is roughly the same as the auto-attack range of Sivir, Twitch, Teemo, and Kog'maw (without his one range increasing active). It doesn't stop you from seeing other people unless they are outside of that vision range.

EDIT 2: Hmm, I might have been wrong about this. The LoL wiki says the 500 range thing in the initial ability description, but in the ability details section it says enemies cannot see outside of the smoke. I'd have to get a friend to test it out with to be sure, and it's a bit late for that at the moment. Either way, it doesn't stop you from seeing other enemies if they're attacking you, doesn't make it so you can only see Graves (unless he's the only one attacking you), I know that for sure.

Name Smurfs Here

04-06-2012

Appreciate it Jorick! Your comment brings up another couple of questions however. If I am given vision of someone attacking me while I am inside a smokescreen, I am not actually given vision (i can make a rhyme any time!) until I am damaged while in smokescreen? So If Graves and I are fighting, he uses smokescreen, my attacks suddenly stop and my hero REMAINS INACTIVE until he attacks me again after using it?

And for your second answer, can i issue an "attack move," attacking the ground near me, to resume fighting said hero that is 550 range away without needing to reposition myself?

th3inf4mou5

04-07-2012

idk

Jorick

04-07-2012

Quote:
heartcry:
Appreciate it Jorick! Your comment brings up another couple of questions however. If I am given vision of someone attacking me while I am inside a smokescreen, I am not actually given vision (i can make a rhyme any time!) until I am damaged while in smokescreen? So If Graves and I are fighting, he uses smokescreen, my attacks suddenly stop and my hero REMAINS INACTIVE until he attacks me again after using it?

And for your second answer, can i issue an "attack move," attacking the ground near me, to resume fighting said hero that is 550 range away without needing to reposition myself?

I may have been wrong in my explanation of how Smokescreen's vision reduction works. It might not reduce sight range like I said, it may just make it so you can't see past the edges of the cloud. I haven't been hit by one recently enough to remember, and I'm finding conflicting or inconclusive information on various websites... Oh well, I can still answer these.

Yes, you only gain vision of an enemy if he hits you while you're affected by the Smokescreen ability. If Graves were to shoot it on you, then stop attacking, you would not be able to see him. If you can see any other enemy targets you'll automatically switch to attacking them, just like if you're attacking a minion and it dies your champion will turn their focus onto the next closest one. But if no other targets present themselves, then yes, your champion will stand inactive until you issue a command.

An attack move command will only make you start attacking something if you can see it. Whether it's by range or being unable to see past the edge of the cloud, the rules for having vision on a target still apply. So if in this hypothetical situation you cannot see the enemy champion yet, an attack move command will not allow you to circumvent the Smokescreen effect; if you can see them and they are the closest target to you, an attack move command will make you attack them again.