[Strategy] Twisted Treeline: The New 3v3 Metagame

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Protoman

11-04-2009

When it comes to summoner spells, an above poster was correct in acknowledging the fact that these can greatly shape the course of the game.

One spell combo that I would like to point out that can be game-winning is

Teleport-Revive

It's true, many fail to get teleport on such a small map. However, when games are short, and time is of the essence, it can be even BETTER than on a large 5v5 map. In 5v5, with more players, and more turrets, not being in the right place at the right time is slightly more forgiving, with chances to make it up later.

However, in Twisted Treeline, not being in the right place at the right time once can end your game.

So, teleport is a welcome addition, but revive?

You might only get 2-3 uses out of revive. However, if you only got one use out of it all game, and used it well, it can win the game for you right there.

Being able to initiate, take down 1-2 enemies in their base, and then di, is par for the course. However, being able to INSTANTLY revive, and then teleport BACK into the enemy base with full team strength is sometimes too much to handle.

Usually revive is looked down upon because "you are better off getting something that helps you NOT die".

However, in this situation, something that gives you the ability to die without consequence can open up entirely new strategies and levels of aggressiveness that make you truly feared.

Protoman

11-10-2009

The Trio Combo:

What three heroes make up a good team composition? What hero synergy is even more effective in 3v3 than in 5v5? When looking for interesting new combos, here are some to try:

"Seeing All While Unseen"
Warwick, Twitch, Evelynn
Tagline: "Is someone watching me?"

Assassin heros, while being able to be picked off easier in 5v5, can completely dominate a map in 3v3. This is especially true after near insta-gibbing one of those 3 opponents. The goal here is to make 90% of the map completely off-limits to the opposition. Should anyone dare to go into the jungle, they should feel completely paranoid that a Warwick and/or two stealthers could jump out of the shadows and give them a free trip back to the fountain. Warwicks sight from across the map can easily allow either of the stealthers to track down those foolish enough to stray more than 10 feet from their tower. In group fights, once the other team realizes they can't do anything in safety without 3, Evelynn with a Locket is unparalleled utlity, defense, and survivability for the team, racking up the damage and healing while Twitch is able to AOE a 3 man push down.

"The Unstoppable Force"
Zilean, Judicator, Tryndamere (with Guardian Angel for overkill)
Tagline: "Hi, I'm Tryndamere, and you have to kill me 5 times"

In most 3v3, it's all about killing the carry. What happens when your carry -cant- die? They can always go after the burst-control Zilean, or the survivability-support Judicator, but in doing so, Tryndamere is up in your face, stabbing your speens, and stealing your dignitiy.

"Territorial Control"
Teemo, Heimer, Shaco
Tagline: "Sorry, you don't have access to the jungle at this time.

This strategy on the surface looks a bit risky with what is normally 3 squishy heros. However, the goal is complete map awareness and ganking ability. Heimer should focus on max mana/hp caster-tank hybrid. The defense gained from this will allow him to be the tank when he has a great reason to be the first target: the destruction of his turrets upon death. This lineup has good pushing potential, but the key lies in deployable placement. With heimers turrets placed around the map, rather than purely in his lane, combined with teemos strategically placed mushrooms, you can effectively block off entry into -any- of the jungle without causing severe annoyance and trouble for the opposition. Add in a roaming shaco dropping jack-in-the-boxes at choke points for even more laughs. It should be noted here that all three heros can pack Teleport, and instantanously appear at almost any point in the map.

"Team OP"
Jax, Morganna, Sion
Tagline: "Imba Synergy"
When you just absolutlely need to be a huge imba team, roll this crowd. On the surface this group looks like just random top picks, but when you look at why, you realize the synergy that they have. All three of these heros gain still gain defense by building for offense. AP Sion gains defence from his shield by gaining more AP. Morganna's AP increase also increases damage absorption through her shield. Jax invertly gains offense by more AOE stun through stacking dodge. All three heros have stuns, and all three have AOE. Need I say more?
These are just a few of some synergistic combos. What combos have worked well for you?

MegaCreep

12-07-2009

Udyr actually does fairly well in 3v3 because of his flexibility and increased survivability of there not being five enemies focusing him. Any new changes to him should only increase this.

Avarion

12-07-2009

I've found Mundo to be insanely good on Twisted Treeline. Any thoughts?

Reginald

12-10-2009

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
LOL LOL LOL
LOL

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Um Revive is a trash summoner spell... gg u fail

qwertybirdy

02-17-2010

good post, post more and ppl may actually belive you are riot staff in game. lololololololol

Feen

03-31-2010

I've played gragas a few times now on TT. And I must say he's quite a nice pick for this map. All of his powers fit better on this map than on the 5v5 map. His barrel rolls come from everywhere and are also ideal for farming/pushing lanes fast. His drunken rage together with his passive makes him survive forever which is a key element in TT. And we haven't had the good part yet:
The body slam goes through almost all walls which makes him more mobile than any character in the game. Can you name any other character who has an ability making him/her able to move through/over a wall every 6 secs (cd reduction not included).
Well, Kassadin does, with her ultimate which costs you a hell lot of mana while this power costs only 50 mana and is an ability you can choose at lvl 1 if you want.
Finally he has an ultimate (being AOE just like his normal barrels which is better on the 3v3map than the 5v5) which even more gives you a better positioning w.r.t. the other team.

As far as I know, gragas is perfectly fit for TT with his survivabilty (both in mana and hp), relatively high early game damage output and extreme mobility. I haven't played much on the 3v3-map but why haven't I seen him in every game? Any thoughts?

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2010

Nice guide was hoping for something like this.

Also edit your first post says heimer's 6 turrets which is now 3.

zili

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2010

You say the TT matches are shorter, yet I haven't noticed that at all : / I've been having lots of 40+ min. matches which is around what I had at 5v5 too.

MBirk

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleMemory View Post
I'm wondering how Annivia matches up on this map. Icewall seems like it could be devastating with all the short pathways. Maybe her ms is too slow or something else, but I'd like to know what you all think
Anivia ought to be pretty good.

Stun. Snare. Huge burst. And wall.
Great farming ability vs minions and creeps.
Hpx2 with egg to allow teammates to get to you and save you should you fall prey to a gank.

Her slow speed is a weakness. And no golem buff to mana regen. (i don't think theres a mana one?) So you'll need to gear up for ++mana.